PDA

View Full Version : F***ing POS WJ...arg!!!

Nate Cannon
07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I have a pinhole leak of coolant in my FREAKING TIMING CHAIN COVER. Right where the thermostat mounts. I've tried stopleak and jb weld but it only works for a little, after enough expansion/contraction it just sorta stops. I'm thinking about getting it welded, but this is seriously annoying. Between the heater crap, my drivers side window/lock/mirror control not working, this, weird diff sounds...the only think I like about this car is the color and I never get to wash it so I can't enjoy that. I seriously think I want to jimmy rig this so it will hold for a while, then sell it. I hate this car, I haven't trusted it since I got it, but all the plush amenities blinded me to the fact that it's a POS. SHIT. Ok...rant off.

Anyone know where I can get a timing chain cover for the 4.7? I'm guessing this is going to be the biggest PITA ever, I wish someone would crash into my car, or take it and roll it over and then light it on fire somewhere. AHH!! Ok, later. I might just get someone with aluminum rod to weld it but seriously, this is BS.
-Nate

woops, this isn't really general 4x4 tech, sorry, if someone moves it, thanks. In my rage I didn't really consider where I posted.

AgitatedPancake
07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh...that.

(linked because its a huge picture)

http://www.agitatedpancake.com/random/jeep/tstat/DSC02394.JPG

I fixed it by putting a small aluminum strip on the inside with JB weld, then a small aluminum strip on the outside with JB weld. Been holding for like 3 months now.

Nate Cannon
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
that's almost exactly what it looks like, my crack's a bit smaller than that now. Thanks for the pic though now I can show others, freakin jeeps! I guess I'm not that pissed, but well the heater pisses me off.
-Nate

AgitatedPancake
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I've torn apart my whole goddamn dash once before and replaced the blend doors. Put it back together...FUCK. Guess it was the motor also. So as of now I still have a fucked up AC, with good blend doors and no motor to turn them

Cue-Ball
07-10-2007, 03:43 PM
It is always the little BS things that are the most annoying is isn't it.

Skyline
07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
If you want reliability, don't buy a Jeep.

In the first 50k miles, my 96 ZJ made more than 30 visits to the dealer for warantee repairs. It hasn't gotten much better off of warantee, (which thank goodness, I extended to about 90k), but now I fix almost everything myself. Even though I frequently curse the inadequacy of the engineering, as a hack mechanic, I appreciate the simplicity of our vehicles. A 1980 BMW has a similar amount of electronic gizmos to my 96 ZJ. But for a '96 BMW, you need to be an EE to fix one.

Just as a contrast, in the first 60k miles, my 2004 4Runner has made only 2 visits to the dealership for warantee repairs, (altough the warantee ended at 36k...nothing else has broken). Both visits were for a leaky tire pressure sensor. There's a reason the Japs take more and more market share each year....who need cars that break constantly?

Although I'm no big fan of Consumer Reports, they have always given the GCs the worst possible reliablity/frequency of repair ratings.....so it's defitately not just us.

You just need to accept the Jeep with its flaws and its strengths. Reliability is just not on the plus side of the ledger.

Nate Cannon
07-10-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah, well...my other jeep was a top...160k miles stock tranny and nothing real major that wasn't directly related to 4 wheeling. I mean...it didn't even have a top when I got rid of it. I basically got a jeep cause I know I can work on them, but didn't anticipate how much time my job would take up and how little I'd want to work on it in my free time.
-Nate

Cody
07-11-2007, 02:40 AM
ahh, the cess pool.

remember when you dumped all of your clothes and shit into the lake at the bottom of dump bump at 1 a.m.?

good times.

RadioPatrol
07-27-2007, 07:26 PM
If you want reliability, don't buy a Jeep.

In the first 50k miles, my 96 ZJ made more than 30 visits to the dealer for warantee repairs. It hasn't gotten much better off of warantee, (which thank goodness, I extended to about 90k), but now I fix almost everything myself.
SNIP

Hmmm ...... Never Buy New ? let someone else hash out all the new and broken crap ..... friend of mine bought a 93 XJ in 2000? off of Ebay of all places ...... PO had put over $5000 in suspension mods, ARB bumpers front and rear, Detroit Locker in an 8 1/4 rear .... etc

he paid $5k for the truck basically buying the parts put on and got the XJ Free :yumyum: and has put a 150,000 more miles on it .... and we are just replacing the motor, only because he let it over heat and it know smokes and is really hard to start, runs rough @ weird times ............ :smt086

I haven't ever bought anything new ...... closest thing to new was a 95 Saturn bought in 2006 .....

:o

hurstolds
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
want reliability buy a xj.

1fox2go
01-14-2008, 03:33 PM

This might get interesting...

BigDaveZJ
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Wanna not get banned? Don't resurrect old threads and throw out your opinions without backing them with facts.