PDA

View Full Version : What to TOW with

johnny
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi, im new to the site but not new to wheeling. I just sold my 1989 Xj that was lifted 4inchs on 33 Super swampers 8000lb winch bla bla bla...

Im planning on Buying a 96 ZJ 5.2 V8 to tow a car trailer(with brakes) with a small YJ or tracker.

Will the ZJ tow it alright? Any big issues i should know about befor attemping this.

Thanks John

Cody
07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
you're banned. this has been covered in length

the short answer is, buy a tow rig and don't waste time, money, or your safety on towing something heavy with a ZJ.

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
What Cody said. ZJ's are teh suck for towing other vehicles. They can handle small boats and pop-up campers, but they were never designed to safely tow another vehicle.

OverkillZJ
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
no, no, no NO, NO, NO.

Skyline
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I agree with others that best case scenario is not to do it. BUT....the rated towing capacity of a ZJ is 5,000 lbs. I have towed a couple of cars, and other heavy trailers with my ZJ over the years, and it CAN do it. It's just not as safe or easy as towing the same trailer with a 3/4 ton or better truck. If the distances are not too long, you might be OK. Hilly terrain won't help matters, and allow a lot of extra space for stopping.

Oh, and another thing....don't go crying home to mama when the POS ZJ transmission kicks the bucket while you're towing. Most ZJ's are starting to show signs of age, and something stressfull like towing can certainly kill an old tranny or TC.

canadian_driver
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
go back to JU/jeepkings(canadian version of JU)

johnny
07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
So basically the trannys the issue, other then that i don't see a problem but bad driving.

OverkillZJ
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Can you not read?

canadian_driver
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
So basically the trannys the issue, other then that i don't see a problem but bad driving.

tong weight
brakes
power
axle stress
unibody mounting of trailer hitch
etc etc...

OverkillZJ
07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
ZJ is too light
wheelbase is too short
plus above, and then some.

JohnBoulderCO
07-09-2007, 05:13 PM
A few years ago, I followed Corey on our way to Moab. He was towing a ZJ, with a ZJ. It was scary to watch. He bought a tow truck soon after.

johnny
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Alright its very clear not to tow with it so any SUV that are good for towing? My friend tows with his 97 safari van 4.3L any you guys know about if hes going to have problems with that van? (towing a 16foot car trailer loaded with GMC tracker)

OverkillZJ
07-09-2007, 05:56 PM
only "SUV" I'd tow with is my 20' long Suburban with a turbodiesel... and even then, it's not quite a dually ;)

You need a longer wheel base and a heavier truck, I know of no such SUV really...

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Excursion??

canadian_driver
07-09-2007, 07:45 PM
i cant say i would tow a car with anything less than a pickup

OverkillZJ
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Diesel excursion that isn't made any more, but yeap, if we can call it an SUV (forgot about that one!)

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
An Excursion can tow just about as well as my truck can, just a little bit less wheelbase. I saw a Ranger trying to tow another Ranger on a car trailer once, that was one of the MOST frightening things I have ever seen on the road.

johnny
07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll be towing a car trailer and soem sort of 4x4 vehicle on it would a 1/2 ton truck work alright or do i need more meat then that? (forget the SUV)

zjguy721
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Depends, long distances or short? A lot of guys I know with 1/2 ton trucks forego the trailer and just tow their rigs. Eliminates some weight, don't have the tongue weight issue. Of course, then you don't have trailer brakes, wear on your rigs tires/drivetrain, etc.

Just be sure it has a frame and a tow package, and most of the newer 1/2 tons will tow a smaller rig just fine (SWB Jeep, buggy, etc). A lot of it is common sense.

johnny
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I would rather tow a trailer that way nothing is wearing down on the rig im trailering. I'd be towing for around 5 hours as well....but only a couple times a month if that

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
If you're towing a couple times a month a diesel 3/4 ton will be WELL worth the $$$.

Cody
07-09-2007, 11:55 PM
if you're towing 5 hours a couple times per month you will be much much happier with a 3/4 ton diesel. Plus, it'll save you $$$ in the long run.

1/2 ton would probably be ok, but diesel is oh so much better.

If you had to have an SUV, go with a suburban or an excursion.

OverkillZJ
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
And if you're going Diesel SUV, excursion for the win, but they'll cost a lot more up front. The power stroke is much more reliable than the 6.5TD that comes in the suburbans, and you will not find a Duramax in a Suburban unless someone put it there. The 6.5 can tow, but it takes a lot of work to keep it from cooking itself from the inside out.

BigDaveZJ
07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Excursion's actually aren't too bad. I've seen quite a few in the low 100's go for 15-20k around here. They usually go for just a hair under comparable F250's.

Skyline
07-10-2007, 11:07 AM
If you really want an SUV that can tow, another option is an Avalanche. I don't think they make a diesel, but they do make a heavy duty version. I believe it has a big block gas motor, and a 14 bolt rear. Not quite an SUV, but closer than even an extended cab pickup. I have a friend who uses one to tow an enclosed race car hauler, and it does a pretty good job. Still no match for a dually pickup with a diesel though.

johnny
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Alright i mislead you guys i ment a couple times a month during summer... Sorry my bad im lookign at a 1/2 ton chevy but it only has the 4.3 in it..
any good or am i getting in shit again....sorry i know nothing about pick-ups

BigDaveZJ
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
A half ton pickup with a V6 is going to be a dog, WITHOUT anything on the hitch. Get a V8, or get a diesel.

OverkillZJ
07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
2x a month is enough to justifly a diesel IMHO... V8 at a complete MINIMUM. Im not talking talking out of my ass, I tow a lot, as have most who've replied in this thread... I'd consider the advice

johnny
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Alright thanks man will do

johnny
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I barly know anything about a desiel thus id have to take it to the shop to be repaired(which i hate to do)

1994 350 V8 GMC Yukon (tow package) any good?

OverkillZJ
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
If the wheelbase is long enough, might be OK (I don't know the wheelbase.) I'd say if its over 130ish you might be OK. But for the record, diesels pretty simple to work on, just big

CANADIAN ZJ!
07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
my boss tows a 15000# camp trailer with a 3/4 ton diesel...he reports the fuel mileage as no different with the trailer or without...the extra torque in a diesel is crucial to a frequent tow rig.

sah81
08-21-2007, 01:33 AM
A Yukon will tow fine. Just don't tow in OD or you will cook the tranny. You will also want to make sure you have trailer brakes of some kind (surge or electric). A car hauler trailer should have them. The TBI 350 doesn't have the power of the Vortec engines but it does have plenty of low end torque. You will probably want to look into some sort of load levelling system like airbags.

daverobb@rewedmonton
09-16-2007, 10:51 PM
I tow a 24' travel trailer with my 5.9 Laredo. Loaded with water it weighs about 6,000 LBs. It is critical with a short wheel base tow vehicle to have a proper equalizer hitch and sway control, both units must be level and the trailer must be equipped with electric brakes on all wheels. We trailer every weekend from April to October plus 2 to 3 weeks holidays each year. I would estimate that this season we did well over 10,000 KMs. I have owned several trailers and several different tow rigs. A diesel truck would definately be the ultimate, but at about $60,000 CDN, it just is not in the cards right now. Towing is a matter of knowing the limits of both units and not exceeding them, loading the trailer correctly and hitching correctly. After that it is driver ability. A Jeep on a car trailer is certainly within the limits of a V8 ZJ's capabilities, if the above requirements are followed.
For the record, the Jeep is a '98 ZJ Laredo with a complete 5.9 Limited drive train. The only exception being a 242 T-case and a rear Aussie. The exhaust, intake, ignition, cooling and brakes are all up-graded. It has a set of U.C. springs , a 2" Teraflex BB, 31" tires and a winch. Yes we off road it to!

ezrider
09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
I tow a 24' travel trailer with my 5.9 Laredo. Loaded with water it weighs about 6,000 LBs. It is critical with a short wheel base tow vehicle to have a proper equalizer hitch and sway control, both units must be level and the trailer must be equipped with electric brakes on all wheels. We trailer every weekend from April to October plus 2 to 3 weeks holidays each year. I would estimate that this season we did well over 10,000 KMs. I have owned several trailers and several different tow rigs. A diesel truck would definately be the ultimate, but at about $60,000 CDN, it just is not in the cards right now. Towing is a matter of knowing the limits of both units and not exceeding them, loading the trailer correctly and hitching correctly. After that it is driver ability. A Jeep on a car trailer is certainly within the limits of a V8 ZJ's capabilities, if the above requirements are followed.
For the record, the Jeep is a '98 ZJ Laredo with a complete 5.9 Limited drive train. The only exception being a 242 T-case and a rear Aussie. The exhaust, intake, ignition, cooling and brakes are all up-graded. It has a set of U.C. springs , a 2" Teraflex BB, 31" tires and a winch. Yes we off road it to!

Just an accident waiting to happen, 6000+ lbs behind a ZJ is not good... This is why they make trucks for towing ( and I have a dually CC & a ZJ ) safety first when towing, not only for the drivers on the road but the vehicle too.
Get the proper vehicle for towing and be SAFE.

daverobb@rewedmonton
09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I've seen trucks, including diesel duelies around here, towing trailers that either were not set up for the truck or vice versa. With this situation you now have a very large truck and a trailer that is a hazzard. It's all in how the two units are set up and how they are driven. Many of the problems people have are caused by over loading the trailer. I always figure with gear, supplies and water on board, it will weigh in at the GVW. Some people seem to think that because the have a diesel pick-up, the rest of the safety requirements don't matter. I can assure you that I have towed many trailers 1000's of miles with many different tow vehicles including cars, so I am talking from experience here.
By the way a six cylinder ZJ's tow rating is 5,000 LBs, the same as an XJ. A V8 ZJ is rated at 6500.

OverkillZJ
09-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Sounds to me you're arguing to use the correct equipment towing. I agree. So stop towing with a ZJ :finga:

BigDaveZJ
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Sounds to me you're arguing to use the correct equipment towing. I agree. So stop towing with a ZJ :finga:

x2

Could a ZJ tow your load, sure. But should it??

Cody
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
OK, say you're towing your 6500# camp trailer down the back side of a mountain pass with your family in the vehicle. The road is a little windy and you just had a little rain. A deer jumps in front of your rig out of nowhere....would you rather

A) be towing with a 4000 LB ZJ with a Mopar Marketing department tow rating of 6500 lbs and an equalizer hitch/sway control

B) be towing with a vehicle designed to tow, with correct weight deistrubtion F to R and enough weight and WB to not only control the load but also stop it--like say a 3/4 diesel or even 1/2 ton gasser

If you can honestly say that you would feel just as safe with your entire family at stake in a ZJ than in an appropriate tow rig then you should probably just ban yourself right now. I don't care how good of a driver you think you are, you're playing with fire and it only takes 1 unexpected situation for your underequipped tow rig to find out exactly where it's limits are.

60,000 Canadian for a tow rig? What, they don't have used tow rigs in Canada?

Cody

nate
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Your boss is lying to you. There's no way in hell he's going to get the same fuel mileage unloaded or pulling a 15,000lb trailer! If he's getting 10-11mpg pulling that trailer, that would be pretty good.

my boss tows a 15000# camp trailer with a 3/4 ton diesel...he reports the fuel mileage as no different with the trailer or without...the extra torque in a diesel is crucial to a frequent tow rig.

Cody
09-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I used to get 23 ish unloaded on the freeway and about 18 with the 6000 lb jeep/trailer behind me. I drove around 85 though so I'm sure that didn't help when towing.

nate
09-18-2007, 11:56 AM
With a 2wd, 5/6 speed, 3.55 gears and stock tires maybe. That about the only combo that would get that fuel mileage, and even that is pushing it doing 85mph. Hand calculated #s right, cause that overhead this is way off if the motor isn't stock.

With my 98.5 2500 auto I get 16-17mpg town/highway unloaded and around 14mpg pulling my Jeep/trailer/camping shit (mainly highway).

My truck weighs 7200lbs.
Jeep and trailer is 7400lbs. (M/T trailer is 2500, Jeep is 4900)

With me, camping gear, tools, the dog, etc I weigh in at around 15,000lbs combined. It's not bad at all considering that the gasser folks would be happy with 14-15mpg empty.

Cody
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Calculated off of the OD and fuel going in. the overhead said something like 22-26 most of the time on the freeway. On a road trip to Idaho once I filled up 31 gallons with 718 miles on the OD since last fill up--100% freeway driving. My speedo was off 7% (slow by 7% due to oversized tires--gps verified) and I didn't factor in the 7% extra distance in that 718 miles--so really it was more like 768 miles in 31 gallons.

Also, on my 2000+ mile road trip to Canada I averaged just over 21 mpg on the entire trip loaded with camping gear only (not very heavy) with milage gps verified. Lots of mountains and some scattered city driving in there.

My motor was stock, 140-170k miles, 99 CTD 2500. New auto tranny (shift kit only) and 265 70 17 load range E tires (32's).

Cody

ZJizzle
01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I towbar my zj with my 4runner FTW!

RockZJ311
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
It cracks me up when I hear people wanting to tow with a ZJ, my ZJ can barely pull itself along...fucking 4.0:booya:. Seriously, take the advice and get a diesel with a good wheelbase. It will minimize your strain of having to pull the trailer or vehicle and it will be much easier to handle and more stable. Honestly, you really dont want to have the vehicle your towing steering you...not a good idea. :smt018

RockZJ

RDBillsJr
01-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Im planning on Buying a 96 ZJ 5.2 V8 to tow a car trailer(with brakes) with a small YJ or tracker. Will the ZJ tow it alright?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

If you do, please let us know what highway you will be on so that the rest of us can stay far away.

Without going into the details, rehashing what has already been posted, or fueling a debate, your towed load is far too heavy for your ZJ and an accident waiting to happen.

You need a 3/4 ton truck for that load. There are those who think a 1/2 ton is sufficient (based on manufacturer tow ratings), but when you properly calculate your maximum towed load by considering tow rig weight, towed load weight, axle ratings, tire ratings, brake ratings, tongue weight, transmission durability, etc., it becomes clear that a 1/2 ton truck is maxed out on level ground. Add a hill (up or down), and you place your equipment, you and your passengers, and everyone else on the road at risk.

Don't cheap out when you choose a tow rig. It will cost you much more in the long run.

(I bought a low mileage '87 Ford F250 4x4 diesel (with Callen camper and Gearvendor overdrive) to tow my CJ-7. Didn't cost much, and although I doubt that I tow more than 5-6,000 miles a year, it sure has come in handy for home improvement weekends. Unfortunately, I have collected too many vehicles since then and it needs to find a new home. Anyone interested should contact me.)

canadian_driver
01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
thanks for replying to a thread that almost 6 months old and saying the exact same as everyone else