PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Super Wagoneer

jsteves
07-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Well, one can never have too many projects, right? My Grandfather has had this Super Wagoneer sitting on his property in Boise for about 18 years and decided to tow it out to CO so I could begin restoring it.

It will be a hell of a project but it should be fun and hope to end up with something I can drive around, as well as use to tow the ZJ.

Background: The Super was the FIRST lux. SUV. Estimates are between 1200 and 3000 of these things were made. It came with power steering, power rear window, A/C, 4 barrel carb and of course 4 wheel drive. It also had other creature comforts like bucket seats, center console and fold down rear seats that other SUV's of time did not have. Range Rover and Toyota often claim to have invented lux. SUV's, but it really was Kaiser Jeep.

So, when you are sitting on the trail enjoying the A/C know the tradition of lux. wheeling started long ago.

Here are couple of pics to start, but they were taken in the dark so they are a bit blurry and dark.

fpkites
07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I love it! Looking forward to the restoration

boulderchild
07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
that is phenomenal:eek: i can't wait to see the finished product.

BlaineWasHere
07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
That looks like a really cool project!

aresridingflat
07-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I <3 waggies.... I wish I could have built mine up...

SuicideTireZJ
07-11-2007, 03:52 AM
SICK! My next build is gonna be a waggy. Now if only I could pawn my ZJ off on somebody...

jsteves
07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
This one won't be a wheeler, but I suspect there could be another in the future. In fact, it was all I could do not to buy a local one for $1300 that was on 38's. Oh well, cash and number of projects is always an issue.

nierace
07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Looks to be in pretty good shape, any of the ones around here you can do the Fred flinstone in.

I really love the old waggys/cherokee's - definately should be a fun project.

rubicondave33
07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
That is really nice. It should be a great project. Keep the progress updated, it will be fun to see the restoration.

SuicideTireZJ
07-12-2007, 06:09 PM
This one won't be a wheeler

Yeah I saw you posted that, I probably wouldn't either, something that old and cool looking deserves to be preserved, not hacked up. What made that one "Super" as opposed to a regular Waggy?

And if you need any help wrenching lemme know, I don't have any money to wrench on mine and Lubes moved so I can't work on his anymore...

jsteves
07-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Looks to be in pretty good shape, any of the ones around here you can do the Fred flinstone in.

I really love the old waggys/cherokee's - definately should be a fun project.

Yeah, the Super's were actually galvanized, so it really has VERY little rust. I will end up replacing just a little bit on both rear quarters and I might have to do a little to roof as well, as it had a vinyl top that rotted and held water.

As for what makes it "super" It was introduced in 1966 as the first "luxury" SUV. It was kind of like the differece between a laredo and a limited, but then it was a really ground breaking thing as most Caddy's didn't even have A/C.

It was offered with A/C, power rear window, vinyl bucket seats, locking center console, power steering, brake booster, vinyl roof, automatic trans., and of course the big 4 barrel carb. on the V8.\

It was only produced until early '69. The estimates are that only 1200-3000 of them were ever made, so they are pretty rare.

jsteves
07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
More info: http://imageevent.com/mmm_mag/1966to1969superwagoneerregistry?p=0&n=1&m=20&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

jsteves
07-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, I did come across my first bit of serious rust. These came with a vinyl top and most of it had long since rotted and blown away. Well, I removed what was left this morning to find it had retained water and I have several small rust holes and one long stretch right above both driver side doors that is in pretty bad shape. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do about it, but for now, I will move on to other projects.

As for progress with the motor/ignition. I had a bad connection between the starter switch and the solenoid. Replaced that and turns over under its own power now. I also re-routed the fuel lines to avoid the original mechanical pump and I am waiting for the inline electric to get here. Once it does I will be turning the key in hopes of it firing up.

Oh, 40 year old rubber parts are bad. Part of the filler neck on the tank is rubber it had split in several places pouring gas all over the floor of my garage as I stood their obliviously pooring it in. A couple of radiator hoses later and back in business.

2drezq
08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Best of luck with the resto! You should post this at the IFSJA & CFSJA sites.

Strada
08-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Good luck and when you can, make some progress pics;)

jsteves
08-16-2007, 01:33 AM
I do have a thread going on IFSJA. I have not done much lately, school started for teachers last week, so. I got it started a week or so ago but the carb needs rebuilt as it is pouring fuel out the vents and the starter is not disengaging for some reason.

I will probably take a free weekend and go poke around a pick and pull and see if I can find a couple of axles for it sometime in the near future.

rho95zj
08-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah I saw you posted that, I probably wouldn't either, something that old and cool looking deserves to be preserved, not hacked up. What made that one "Super" as opposed to a regular Waggy?

And if you need any help wrenching lemme know, I don't have any money to wrench on mine and Lubes moved so I can't work on his anymore...

You can come work on mine! lol :D

SuicideTireZJ
08-19-2007, 04:25 PM
What you got going on RHO? If you need a hand hit me up

jsteves
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I will have to take some pics later, but finally got to spend some time on this over the last couple of weeks.

-Installed an electric fuel bump and bypassed the mechanical...works great!
-Of course once I had fuel pumping to the carb it started pouring out the top, so time for a new carb. Got a 4 bbl Edelbrock 1411, should give it plenty of fuel sucking power to pull the ZJ.
-Tore off what was left of the nasty vinyl roof off. Of course, it held some water so I have some pretty good rust spots to cut out. I will eventually do a new vinyl top so I will just weld in patches and smooth them. Nobody will ever know I patched it.
-picked up a D20 to replace the bad one (why it was parked almost 20 yrs ago) and got a spare TH400 with it for $100.

So next I will swap the t-case and work out my starter issue. The starter does not disengage itself once the engine starts running. It appears to be an issue with the bendix....but hey, it kinda runs.

Cody
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I think it would be rad to fully restore that and make it a weekend town cruiser. beach cruiser style, but, well you don't have any beach there.

alteredxj
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
so what size engine is it

jsteves
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Like you said, no beach. But I plan to cruise it on the weekends and around town once fully restored (and even along the way).

It originally had a 327, but has an AMC 360 with about 60k original miles...about 95k on the rest of it.

Cody
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I see cool whitewalls in its future.

My buddy just picked up a 1960 caddy that we're baggin. It's been sititng in a garage since 1979 when the original owner became handicapped.

jsteves
11-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice. A friend of mine had a pretty decent looking 60's caddy convertable that was fun to cruise around in.

I wish this thing was sitting in a garage. It was under some huge pine trees. All that black shit all over it is pine tree sap.

Mtn WJ
11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Nice project. I am glad you are doing a resto mod instead of a built off road rig. Not enough old school Jeeps left untouched.

I finally picked up a motor for my 49 Ford. It is a 302 out of a 72 EB. It only had 68k miles and came with the Tranny Tcase and Radiator. I am trying to seel trade the tranny/tcase for a C4 2wd automatic.

Anyway keep us posted as you go.

jsteves
11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah, there are too few of these in particular to chop it up.

Nice find on the driveline! There really are some deals out there on vintage parts. I have found several little parts: outside mirror, lenses, etc. in local yards and gotten good prices on some so far.

jsteves
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, I am glad I skipped a day of wheeling cause this thing moved under its own power for the first time in almost 20 years. We got the new edelbrock installed, all the old fuel pumped out, new in. Also had to add 6 qts. of fluid to the TH400...guess it leaks a bit. But all the drive ranges seems to engage.

Overall, I am really pleased with how it ran. Once it burned the last of the nasty 2 decade old gas it idled very smoothly and starts up immediatly on the first try every time. Also, NONE of the accessories leaked and all seemed to be functioning.

Next I will be looking for a 74-77 waggy front 44. This came stock with a closed knuckle dana 27 with drum breaks. The 74-77's had 44's with disks and flat top knuckles and the outers are interchangable with Ford F-150 stuff so I can retain the 5x5.5 pattern of the early Waggy. Once that swap is done and a rear brake job it will be going for its first spin!!

jsteves
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Found a new front axle complete with brakes and steering. Also found a rear axle with matching lug pattern. So, I likely won''t change the pattern but will be an option if I choose to later. The axle swap also gives me a jump from 3.31's to 3.54's. Should work well with the 3 speed th400 and large edelbrock. Should have these rebuilt and swapped in this weekend.

SuicideTireZJ
11-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Sweet!

jsteves
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Well. This weekend did not go to plan. The u-joints were so rusted we decided to treat ourselves to a 20 ton press from harbor freight since we really needed it and as usual it was "on sale." After much banging and pressing we had the front shafts all apart, however we had bent a couple ears in the process. So, 15" cresent on 3 ft. cheater bar using said press as a vice and we were back in business. Only problem was it was already pushing 7:00pm at this point. By 8:30 we had the front shafts back together and ready to go. No we just have to do all the bearings and ball joints. Maybe next weekend.

TheNightFox
12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Wag's are the coolest. I have a friend who owned a super wag, I don't think he realized how rare they are...or else he would still have it.

jsteves
12-27-2007, 11:50 AM
The front axle is basically ready to be installed with new bearings, seals, ujoints, etc. but of course, Jeep/AMC/Dana Spicer...someone changed the hub design mid run and I have one of the odd balls so I had to special order the inner hub bearing and it is 10 days out. So, when it gets here my Super will get new big disks up front which will be an awesome upgrade from the current drums.

jsteves
12-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Post 1,000. That is all. :finga:

jsteves
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Front 44 is finally in. I also picked up a YJ gas tank for free so I am swappin it in for the stock rusty one. It will fit in the rear (like a ZJ). The old wags had the spare tire located there stock.

Moving slow...but moving.

96_zjlarado
07-16-2008, 07:50 AM
you're making me wish i would have kept my 77 waggy now. i bought it for 200 bucks and sold it for 150 just to get it out of my driveway. now i'm sad. damn u! keep up the good work man. can't wait to see the end result.

cwm
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Here is another project for ya

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/car/766535557.html

jsteves
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Here is another project for ya

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/car/766535557.html

OK, so one can have too many projects and that would just be too many. I do think a chop top wag would be cool though.