PDA

View Full Version : removing cladding

SteveO
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
i am thinking about removing my cladding, filling the holes with body filler, and putting rhino liner or something similar on where the cladding used to cover. what kind of liner in a can will stick well to scuffed paint and can be applied with a brush or roller. i would spray it on, but i am painting a bronco at the same time and dont want the hassle. any suggestions?

SuicideTireZJ
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I took mine down to primer with a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder, then rolled on some duplicolor truck bedliner. It works pretty well and is pretty cheap. It's not so much what you put on the vehicle, it's more how you prep the paint IMO

zj95maxx
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
May I ask why you want to replace it with herculiner? That cladding will protect your doors more than herculiner will.

DansZJ
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
While trimming my fenders, I decided to remove the cladding all together. I'm glad I did as my cladding looked like crap (faded and stained). I wasn't going to leave it off as I thought it wouldn't look like a Grand anymore, but I really like it alot without it. My next step will be to grind off all the nubs sticking out and WELD the holes up and then paint it to factory white with rattle can. I'll be painting it or doing a wrap anyway, so this is just temporary. Here some photos of the trimming and what it looks like now without the cladding: http://rides.webshots.com/album/559721921uiOcAx?vhost=rides

SteveO
07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
May I ask why you want to replace it with herculiner? That cladding will protect your doors more than herculiner will.
1 9 year old grey cladding looks like shit.
2 the giant ass sliders/ nerfbars will compensate.

Horus
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm keeping my cladding too. I painted it all with black bumper paint and it looks great. The bumpers are fun to smash against root balls and trees. The door cladding has been smashed against trees while I was off-camber enough that the LP1 sliders could'nt save the doors. They never have come off on the trail and just need a touch-up every now and then.

I've got video somewhere of me wheelin and a distinct CRACK sound can be heard and the passenger side cladding got stabbed by a protruding root in a deep trail. I don't see why some dudes are in such a hurry to remove it. Paint it first and try to kill it on the trail:smt080 .

fsjtrash
08-01-2007, 01:44 AM
That cladding is BS. It makes it look cheap anyway. And I dont know what good it'll do...Mine cracked when it hit -20 last winter. And it gets way colder than that. I swapped it out for some flat black paint.

96ZJ
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Once I got to the point where the trimming made it so that I could not mount 1 piece of the cladding I took it all off. I think it looks better.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4749/halfdoor003ys4.jpg

fsjtrash
08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
mine look identical...but flat black and it was green