PDA

View Full Version : Welder question

Skyline
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I was looking at a Lincoln 175 HD on eBay that seemed pretty reasonably priced. Anyone use this welder? Is it adequate for modding Jeeps? Would it be as good for the task as something like a Miller 210? (I know the Miller, even used, will cost quite a bit more...almost double.)

OverkillZJ
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
It's plenty for building jeeps, good machines as far as I know. I've never needed more than my Hobart 180, the Lincoln counterpart should be no different.

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I've never needed more than the Miller 175 I've got puts out. Blue vs Red is like Ford vs Chevy, everybody has their favorites but when it comes down to it they're both pretty solid.

DJJordache
06-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I think I was looking at the same ones on ebay and only recently realized how nice a good welder is since I'm borrowing a friends Miller 250 I love it!

Check Book WJ
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I have one ( with infinite adjustable voltage tap instead of the 5 position tap), it's a workable welder for 95% of what you may need to fab on a Jeep. It'll do 1/8" single pass MIG with a straight bead easily ( may need a bit of a weave depending on the work), but is fairly light on the duty cycle, so longer beads or multiple pass stuff will require giving it a rest. It actually works geat with flux core wire (reversing polarity of course) and will do heavier work with it that way, but you will need to clean the beads a bit after welding and it's more fussy in doing out of position work with flux core ( much hotter bead) I'll admit that a blue box is probably a bit better, but I'm glad I have mine for the lighter work I do. Good starter machine IMO if you get it at a good price. Make sure the gun and cables are in good shape, and that it feeds wire well before you purchase it, if you or the seller can burn some metal with it that's a good idea too.

John