PDA

View Full Version : Front lock-right---how noticable on street?

Cody
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Not that I street drive my jeep that often, but sometimes in the winter it is necessary. How noticable is a front locker? Is it just around corners and turning in parking lots and such--will I ever even know it's there while on most roads? I've never had a rig with auto-locking hubs and a front locker--and I'm not willing to spend the money on a selectable.

Even though I really haven't had too much trouble getting the rig up things open in front, I do miss having the front be able to climb on top of ledges when you turn into them--I dont' like wondering if my front end will actuallly climb or slide off. I figure a front locker (maybe) and cut out the rockers and I'm pretty much done with this rig.

and if the word 'trac-loc' or 'limited slip' comes into this conversation without an associated negative modifier I will be mailing the offender a bag of anthrax.

Cody

OverkillZJ
06-19-2007, 03:21 PM
In 4, you'll feel it a bit. In snow you might even push through a little bit, but in 2wd you'll never know it's there.

zj95
06-19-2007, 03:29 PM
and if the word 'trac-loc' or 'limited slip' comes into this conversation without an associated negative modifier I will be mailing the offender a bag of anthrax.
Cody

True-trac

:finga:

GreenMachine
06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I had all the same concerns as you, and Ive been very happy with mine so far.
I have yet to see how it behaves on the ice at freeway speeds.
hoping to get a newer jeep for DD before that.
Bang for the buck, this is about the best mod you can do if you wheel it lots, IMO.

FearTheDentist
06-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Didn't we cover this at dinner at GSW? All 4 wheels are turning so your LSD is a locker. Sheesh, pay attention next time :D.

Shouldn't you be working Cody?

MoonWorks
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Haven't really had mine on the street except around the neighborhood, and around plenty of campgrounds. I can say that I don't really notice it in 2wd but when I'm in 4wd it's a night/day difference. On pavement, I can't imagine how bad it would handle in 4wd as it's a PITA to turn on the trail and gravel roads in 4. That's why I'm about to go to hydro assist! :)

I do have to say I'm on my second lock-rite though...I broke my first one in half!!! :)

Cody
06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I do have to say I'm on my second lock-rite though...I broke my first one in half!!! :)

Thats weird. Brian's buggy (my ex-buggy) has a lockright in the front and it gets flogged-- never a problem. I have heard of plenty of broken ones so I don't get it.

Didn't we cover this at dinner at GSW? All 4 wheels are turning so your LSD is a locker. Sheesh, pay attention next time :D.

Shouldn't you be working Cody?yes, also, when I'm driving down the driveway in 4 lo all 4 tires are turning so I must have lockers at both ends. What am I thinking.

I am working. Shouldn't you be pulling the wrong tooth or something? ;)

JohnBoulderCO
06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I figure a front locker (maybe) and cut out the rockers and I'm pretty much done with this rig.
Cody
Yeah :D

Cody
06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
well I would leave the rockers but I'm afraid that I'll push them up into my doors making them not function.

FearTheDentist
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I am working. Shouldn't you be pulling the wrong tooth or something? ;)

Here ya go :D

10achik
06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I was wondering about the same thing, I'm in the market for a locker up front, I have the 247 TC though and was told I could not add an aussie to the front. Is this true? If it is then I've all but decided to buy an OX, but I'd really rather not spend that much money either right now. Then I would have to buy new shafts as well because I'm running QD in the front as well.

Krash80
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Cody-
My main concern would be trying to turn on slickrock in 4wd w/ a front locker and stock steering. I definitely found out this weekend that my rig doesn't steer for shit on your terrain unless I disengage the front shaft. Took a little while to get used to, but I couldn't imagine trying to drive on slickrock without a selectable locker or having 2wd-low as an option.
-Ron-

nathaniel
06-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Where's the pic of the one you told to superglue it back together?

Cody I dont know about ice or snow but mine has been fine in the rain. Mine is a half bastardized no slip. it was broke and i replaced one side of it so it likes to stick and of course there is the problem of the cross pin that i mentioned but I only have ~70 in it so it works great. There has to be some dummy running around utah with a arb for a 30 for cheap i've seen ones around here go for ~400

zjguy721
06-20-2007, 12:41 AM

Yeah, but you cleaned them up a bit..........;)

San Juan Grand
06-20-2007, 01:35 AM
I use an aussie, with stock steering in the front of mine and I don't have any problems steering on the slickrock, other than a hot power steering pump. (cooler fixed that problem)
Augie