PDA

View Full Version : Carnage totals?

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Seems there was a fair amount of carnage this year.

I managed to snap the front output yoke on my t-case, slash 2 sidewalls, and destroy a wheel. Good chance at some additional carnage too, I just haven't crawled under there to check everything out yet. I dumped it on the trailer Thursday and there it sat until last night when I drove it into the garage using the spare for my trailer, lol.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Nothing major from me...
1) Whining/vibration under decelleration - suspect a u-joint.
2) Bent 1/4" IRO TC skid plate
3) Kolaks Super HD trackbar bushing I replaced the day before I left to Moab, on the way out of Moab, massive DW - bushing was torn again...only lasted 4 days :( Spent 15 minutes on the side of the road burning my hand replacing it in 1000000 deg heat.

PassRunnerZJ
06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
A new clunk from the front drivers side showed up while driving home. Maybe a control arm bolt, or the front shocks are finally dead, I'll look later, or just more thrown weights from the tire causing an unnatural vibration; it still drives OK around town.

Need to check the ears on the rear drive shaft and rear diff as I thunked it along a rock on Kane Creek after one of the major obsticles. but it didn't break on other obsticles, so I'm sure it is OK.

Mtn WJ
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
My only carnage was a broken front drivers CV shaft. First shaft I broke in 6 years of wheeling the WJ. Not bad and thanks to Ron we had the thing going with my spare in 20 minutes.

Cue-Ball
06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
My only carnage was a broken front drivers CV shaft. First shaft I broke in 6 years of wheeling the WJ. Not bad and thanks to Ron we had the thing going with my spare in 20 minutes.

Is this the first ACTUAL case of a front CV axle shaft actually breaking?? I know people talk all the time about how weak they are and everyone does the u-joint swap, I have just NEVER heard of an actual case of one breaking, it is usually just hearsay and BS.

fpkites
06-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Haven't dug into it yet, but so far just bangs and scrapes on the armor. Wiring box on my hitch took a good beating, so I'll have to make sure I check out my trailer lights next time I pull the pop-up.

Goofy noises from the coils on the passenger side (front and back) - one of them sings when it takes a quick hit. Suspecting the shocks - year-old DT3000 crappers. Probably time to start begging the wife for MX-6's :D

Pitch
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Is this the first ACTUAL case of a front CV axle shaft actually breaking?? I know people talk all the time about how weak they are and everyone does the u-joint swap, I have just NEVER heard of an actual case of one breaking, it is usually just hearsay and BS.

It was the 3rd WJ CV shaft that we replaced in about 1 mile of trail that day on Golden Spike. I replaced one last year after Pritchett Canyon as well. Yes, they certainly do break. They are fairly strong straight ahead, but under turning load and big tires they like to go boom! In each case, it was the CV joint that broke, and not the actual shaft.

My "carnage" was merely a bent WJ tierod suffered on Rockchucker... not bad at all. Drove the 320 miles home with no issues at all, even when I got the 'ol 6cyl cranking to well over 80 mph.

Skyline
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM

You're kidding...right??? I broke mine with open difs and 28" tires. Total POS.

Cody
06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I had a nut fall off of a control arm bolt. I blame Big Dave.

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
It ended up being just a little more than a nut falling off!! lol It did all go back together pretty easy though. Most of the bolts on the axle end of your front control arms were pretty loose, but they should be at least "okay" at this point. I'd still do something to that pass side LCA bracket since the holes are so wallowed out and double check the threads on the pass side UCA.

AgitatedPancake
06-19-2007, 01:17 PM

I broke one on the 'Con. wanna know how weak they are? I was powerbraking some to try to get both my fronts spinning, turned a little bit and heard a little pop. the front right cv snapped.

Wanna hear the kicker? IT WAS ON THE WHEEL IN THE AIR. I actually just put the jeep in park, pulled the ebrake and changed it on the spot with no jack. I dont understand how the airborne one broke when I didnt let it gain any momentum, or even let that one touch the ground.

OverkillZJ
06-19-2007, 01:34 PM

....Are you serious?

I broke 4 or 5 on 31's.

fpkites
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I had a nut fall off of a control arm bolt. I blame Big Dave.

At least your Jeep came back to you in better shape than it was when you loaned it out Cody! :smt046

I about busted a nut when Dave was under the Jeep going, "Damn, this sure would go easier if we had a floor jack" - then Arlo pipes in..."Here it comes!" :D

Texas ZJ1
06-19-2007, 02:26 PM
1. Sheered off the mounting bracket that holds on the power steering pump. $80 to reweld.

2. Broke the tension pully assembly. $130.

3. Running like a POS and barely idling since I got home.....priceless.

4. Dave shipping my exhaust pipe to me that came off on Spike.....$$$

A huge thanks again to WestexZJ for rescuing me on the side of the road.

Hunter

CurtP
06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I broke one on the 'Con. wanna know how weak they are? I was powerbraking some to try to get both my fronts spinning, turned a little bit and heard a little pop. the front right cv snapped.

Wanna hear the kicker? IT WAS ON THE WHEEL IN THE AIR. I actually just put the jeep in park, pulled the ebrake and changed it on the spot with no jack. I dont understand how the airborne one broke when I didnt let it gain any momentum, or even let that one touch the ground.

You broke it because you were powerbraking. What did you think was going to happen?

19onebadzj96
06-19-2007, 03:45 PM

I think he was being sarcastic :smt075

PassRunnerZJ
06-19-2007, 05:26 PM

We had to change one CV shaft out on Hell's Revenge last year after it broke on Tip Over Challenge. No hopping, bad spinning, or turning involved from what I remember and he was on 31's and open.

I wouldn't run them and swapped my original ones back in when I changed my front axles to get 3.73s with an ARB five years ago. My u-jointed ones have been great and while I don't abuse them I do things with the locker engaged a lot and it includes some spinnig and turning. I know that I need to replace the u-joints, for peace of mind and experiance this year, but no complaints after 175k miles and a lot of trips to Moab and the moutains of CO. I do have the larger u-joints which helps I'm sure.

That last major climb out of Kane Creek involved a lot of spinning and sliding, but they held together.

97zjvinny
06-19-2007, 05:58 PM
1 thrown C/V drive shaft :smt073

1 smoked mile marker winch :poke:

1 dead battery

1 crushed lower control arm mount

Thats all so far but I am sure there will be more to come. :rolleyes:

nathaniel
06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Lost a nut on my rear swaybar, blow out on highway of MTR, bolt feel out of front bumpstop and slightly loose upper trackbar bolt. Thats it.

WestexZJ
06-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Made it home. A few new creaks and groans but I learned to ignore them long ago, at least until something starts shaking. Bent my JKS rock slider, plus a few scrapes on my new bumpers, and totally redesigned my pretty chrome tailpipe.

Z
06-19-2007, 10:33 PM
It was SO HOT in Moab that the flex pipe I use for OBA plumbing blew apart. I had to resort to feeding quarters into the damn pay Air at City Market to finish the last tire (yeah, minor, but I just hate feeding quarters into wimpy ass compressors).

Second track bar bracket bolt/nut set are stripping, causing annoying noises. I HATE track bars!!!!

4.0L engine ran like crap a lot of the time. Ken was thinking I had light vapor lock, so I may try header tape on the fuel rail.

Matt
06-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Bent the sliders up pretty good (good thing I won the TnT 50% off sliders gift cert)

Power steering pump isn't happy, works great on the road, but the trail was a pain. (Only 1 week old too, good thing it's under warrenty).

Broke the front steering stab, picked one up in Moab and it drove home fine.

I pushed the D30 pretty hard, and was VERY suprised it held up that well. Considering the only upgraded part on it is the 760 u-joints.

Sandy R
06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
1. Sheered off the mounting bracket that holds on the power steering pump. $80 to reweld.

2. Broke the tension pully assembly. $130.

3. Running like a POS and barely idling since I got home.....priceless.

4. Dave shipping my exhaust pipe to me that came off on Spike.....$$$

A huge thanks again to WestexZJ for rescuing me on the side of the road.

Hunter

Sounds like your coil is not the problem afterall.

Matt
06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
BUT.... I did find a sweet hat on Pritchett, so in my mind I came out ahead. :D

mckeonm
06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I blew out to UCA bushings on Pritchett on Friday.

Thanks to Steve (the owner) at Moab 4X4 Outpost he machined down YJ leaf spring bushings and made them work for my UCA's for $85 installed with my help (the lift made this much easier). I was ready for the following day.

On Saturday I broke my rear Drive Shaft in two on Cliff Hanger. I think it got very badly bent first then twisted in two. Once again to Steve at the CLOSED 4X4 Outpost he build me a replacement Drive Shaft for $190.00.

That was it for Moab.

Just an FYI.... before i went to the Alloy Shafts with u-joints I blew out 3 passenger side CV shafts. The first one I believe there was a small hole in the boot before I took the ZJ into a deep mud hole. Mud and water don't make a great lubricant.

FearTheDentist
06-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Saw the pics, that's a pretty impressive number you did on your drive shaft there Matt :D Glad you were able to get those control arm bushings replaced.

For ONCE I didn't have any carnage. I did have a minor trail repair on my fuel pump, but it was installer error, not carnage.

dads5.9
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
The obvious carnage from the flop; passenger side door and mirror, and right rear quarter panel.

Bent both front and rear bumpers. I had to hack off part of the bumpers with Auggie's hacksaw because they were contacting the tires. Bent the left slider. I guess that I'll have to rebuild it like I did the right one after last year's carnage.

chadjans
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I didn't have any carnage. :smt100

JohnBoulderCO
06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
I didn't have any carnage. :smt100
Sore index finger? Pic snapping over the weekend.:D

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 03:44 AM
A very slightly bent lower rear control arm on the first real ledge I came up on.

The other arm I took care of on sat.

Both front upper axle side bushings are shot to hell. I can't understand it.

The gas tank exaust hanger bolt.

Mon. morning a strange noise from what seemed like it was coming from the front drivers side axle area came up. Kind of a knocking sound when ideling forward or back ward. It really rattled at highway speeds. Stopped to check the hub & wheel spacer at GG but found nothing.

Yesterday it started in park! I hope it's not the motor or tranny. I checked the tail pipe to see if it might be it because of the bolt gone but that aint it.

I guess this is the most if not all of the carnage I've ever had from any GSW. Count that lucky I guess.:)

chadjans
06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Both front upper axle side bushings are shot to hell. I can't understand it.

Mon. morning a strange noise from what seemed like it was coming from the front drivers side axle area came up. Kind of a knocking sound when ideling forward or back ward. It really rattled at highway speeds. Stopped to check the hub & wheel spacer at GG but found nothing.

Radius arms?

Zap strap on the driveshaft?

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Chad, his bushings were more destroyed than my UCA bushings, and I have NEVER changed mine out, they're still the original bushings.

And there was no zap strappage this year unfortunately.

fpkites
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Scott, only thing I can think of for those bushings is the lack of torque - did you drop one to see if it had a sleeve? You and I were wondering about that.

Let me know if you need help figuring it out - I may be available Saturday afternoon or some evening next week.

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
They were the only blots that were torqued properly. I checked them I thought

No I haven't pulled them to se if the steel sleeves are in there yet. I've been taking it very easy with the hernia.

I haven't even unloaded the back of the jeep yet. I can't as far as my big red bag. it weighs 85lbs or so & It's blocking the fluids tub & axle shafts too. I guess I'll just have to unloade the bag itself a few things at a time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Miss%20Pics/DSC06271.jpg

Matt
06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
My bushing I just replaced a week before looks just like yours does Scott. The other side looks fine though. I'm confused as well.

And your picture is upside down. :D

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 01:08 PM
LOL, yea I saw that. I flipped it on photobucket but I still see it upside down. I guess I need to dump the cash to see it rightside up now.

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Scott, could that rattle be the UCA hitting the truss???

fpkites
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Scott, I'll talk to the wife and see if I can drop by tonight to help you unload if you'd like. Give me a call around 5.

Dave may be onto something about that noise.

chadjans
06-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Use cap screws instead of socket cap screws.

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, like I said. It started doing it at idel in park. It's a definate rotational knock or a knock related to the exaust timing. However I won't rule out Daves theory.

Jim, I have an apointment at 4:30 to see the doctor so 5 is out. I'll just unload the bag a bit at a time. It needs to be redone anyway. I think it could use a few less things in it I'll probably never use. I havent yet for most of it.

fpkites
06-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Okey dokey - let me know if you need help.

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I will. Thank you.:)

Colorado 5.9
06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Well I kinda feel silly now. I when out & crawled uder nieth & pushed the whole exaust up & down. It hits the back cross member causing the knock knock.

Took it over to Lakewood muffler & they welded up a new retaining bolt with a new rubber damper. For free no less!

No more noise.:)

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
For ONCE I didn't have any carnage. I did have a minor trail repair on my fuel pump, but it was installer error, not carnage.

Kinda like the installer error with the uninstallation of the air in your front right tire?? LOL

K2
06-21-2007, 07:00 PM
When I moved here to Colorado, almost 6 years ago, on my trail run, my cv started to click when turning in 4. I JUST changed it last week to go to Moab because the boot ripped, and I think it started to bind. I still have the one in the other side. I had great luck mine.

As for the original thread I lost a bumperette.

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Did you hit a rockette with your bumperette?????

Texas ZJ1
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I turned in the unused cv axle and picked up a new IAC. Hopefully, that'll cure my idle woes.

Hunter

KevinF
06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I sheared a sector shaft (the pitman arm splined shaft exiting downward from the steering gear box) on the Pickle, but nothing else.

http://members.cox.net/briancahilldds/pickle/images/pickle%20(15).jpg

KevinF
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Ummmmm....we gotta get you on the trail more often, Dirk! Definately not the first case a CV has broken. I've replaced three at three different GSW events over the last 9 years, and have replaced two or three more in Phoenix on various trail runs. Personally, I never broke mine, but I ran open and have a light throttle foot, AND carry spares with me at all times. I still carry spares, but have upgraded to a HP44 and u-jointed Alloy 31-spline shafts inners. The outers are still 27spl, but hey...you have to break somewhere, and I prefer that all the work take place on the outboard side of the axle...no muss...no fuss.

Kevin

FearTheDentist
06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I sheared a sector shaft (the pitman arm splined shaft exiting downward from the steering gear box) on the Pickle, but nothing else.

here ya go

JohnBoulderCO
06-21-2007, 09:41 PM
I turned in the unused cv axle and picked up a new IAC. Hopefully, that'll cure my idle woes.
Hunter
It was the TPS for me.

OverkillZJ
06-21-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd start with IAC, more common than TPS, but that should be second in line after the basics

chadjans
06-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Assist

chadjans
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
side of the axle...no muss...no fuss.

Kevin

Until it takes out your spindle....

Rock Yacht
06-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Hmmmmm, seems the ZJ's (not sure why yet...) don't like our truss UCA bushings. Mine are similar. UGH! Gimme a minute to get back up to speed and I'll find a cure.

Other than that, no real carnage. Dinged the paint on the rear bumper in the crack and got the powder coat on the rock rail on the Spike somewhere.

AC was whacky the whole trip. on the way home it quit again, pulled over and all the lines were covered in frost. shut the engine off waited awhile, they thawed, it worked. back to the shop I guess.

Coming down Flyod hill into denver picked up a vibration in the front. Pulled over and found the front pinion nut loose. walked to lowes got a socket, tightened nut. To late, howled like a banshee, drove it home. Trashed the inner pinion bearing...

Bob

KevinF
06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Until it takes out your spindle....

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? Spindle? What, on my trailer??!! If you're referring to the hub bearing, I carry a spare, as well as a spare stub shaft. Where is this magical spindle you refer to? :)

Kevin

Cue-Ball
06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Okay I stand corrected on the whole CV shaft breaking issue. Thanks all for pointing out the error of my ways.

For the record I replaced my CV's w/ u-joints a couple years ago and carry a spare set of CV shafts actually all the time as well.

chadjans
06-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis? Spindle? What, on my trailer??!! If you're referring to the hub bearing, I carry a spare, as well as a spare stub shaft. Where is this magical spindle you refer to? :)

Kevin

Not for the D30 users. Hah D60's rule :welcome:

JohnBoulderCO
06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Hmmmmm, seems the ZJ's (not sure why yet...) don't like our truss UCA bushings. Mine are similar. UGH! Gimme a minute to get back up to speed and I'll find a cure.
I talked to Rubicon Express about their UCA poly bushings awhile ago. They said those didn't last as long as the rubber ones, but at least they were easier to change.

Cody
06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
I think it's funny that the person that has wheeled and does wheel the LEAST always has the most critical feedback.

Matt
06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I think it's funny that the person that has wheeled and does wheel the LEAST always has the most critical feedback.

That's funny Cody, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Texas ZJ1
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, replaced the IAC and still have the super freaking loud hissing noise. I think it's coming from the rear part of the driver's side exhaust manifold....just great.

It still idles between 200 and 300.

Hunter

Pitch
06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, replaced the IAC and still have the super freaking loud hissing noise. I think it's coming from the rear part of the driver's side exhaust manifold....just great.

Hunter

Maybe from the salsa dancing that your exhaust was doing on Golden Spike? Probably enough bouncing around to put a decent crack in those rusty pipes.

fpkites
06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I told you already Hunter...JB Weld will fix a damn exhaust leak :finga:

Not exactly carnage, but I found that my rear axle has just a titty-bit more slop than I like (read: clunk). Guess I'll have to do super duro bushings in the trackbar.

wheelnzj
07-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks Cody I was also thinking the same thing. :butthead:

I hope everyone gets thier shit fixed, So we can see ya at GSR 2007.