PDA

View Full Version : So, I killed Jeep's WK

Z
06-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Last night Steve from Jeep invited me to test drive the Mopar Skunkworks WK he had brought to Grand Slam West. I jumped at the chance. The WK has a 4" lift, 33" tires and a 3.0L Turbo CRD. Even with stock 3.73 gearing, the 3.0L CRD provides plenty of power (not surprising, but satisfying).

I had already seen the WK in action on Kane Creek's tough parts - which it walked right up (partly due to the impressive QDII and partly due to Steve's excellent driving). Now I wanted to wheel it, so we headed to Moab Rim (one of the closest trails to Moab) around 8:00 pm. I had asked Steve - "What are the weaknesses of the WK, what kind of spares would I need to take" - he said he'd never had a failure nor had any of the other (admittedly few) WK owners that wheel their rigs on the tougher trails. Hmmm...

So we head up Moab Rim, with Steve stating what we both know - never wheel alone. But hey, we weren't going far...

A little before the Z turn we turn around and head back, I had seen enough (impressive performance for an IFS - Toyota's single rear locker has nothing on the WK's QDII), I'm driving, following Steve's directions, we get to within 300 yards of the exit, I try to climb a 15 inch ledge and we hear a "CRACK!" Oops, WKs (and Jeeps in general) aren't really supposed to go "CRACK!".

After some investigation Steve finds a broken steering tie rod (not the easily replacable tie rod end, but the connecting rod itself). We try a few things out of desperation, but quickly realize we're stuck, really stuck (and of course, remember, we're wheeling alone - never do this!). Cell phone coverage sucks, so after walking up the hill, we finally get connectivity and start placing calls. To make a long story, well, long, we connect with Kevin, he rallies the troups and soon Kevin, Cody and a cast of thousands (actually, most were Cody groupies coming along for a party :)) come to the rescue.

Kevin has a MobiWeld (?) borrowed from Keith - this is Kevin's first time using the contraption, its dark, late and Kevin gets just a smidge frustrated with the machine. However, Kevin does a bang-up job re-uniting the broken tie rod pieces, we get all the partiers (that are blocking the trail exit) off the trail, then Cody and I (with Steve driving) baby the WK off the trail.

As a testament to Kevin's welding skills under adverse conditions, I believe that Steve checked out the welds in the daylight and decided to run another trial today with the welded steering tie rod.

So, am I buying a WK for trail use? I wouldn't NOT buy a WK because of a busted tie rod. With the right driving skills, this thing is impressive. I might not buy a WK because the high belt line and low roof line make it a little difficult to stick my head out the window to see where my driver front tire is. Time to rent a WK for a week to see if I can live with it.

OverkillZJ
06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
You mean Keith's Rediweld? That thing saved my ass a couple times too :D

I'm surprised to hear how easly that TRE broke. My dads actually put his WK through a good amount of strain, but I guess all it takes is time if they're that weak. Boooo.

Z
06-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Update - it was NOT the TRE, it was the actual rod to which the TRE attaches. The cause of the problem - it's very common when installing a lift on the WK to install the swaybar links incorrectly, that's what happened to this WK - the (improperly installed) swaybar link had come in contact with the rod, deforming it, creating the weakness, leading to the breakage.

Sudz
06-17-2007, 10:14 AM
so what's the moral of the story? :D

Z
06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
so what's the moral of the story? :D
1. Don't wheel alone.
2. When installing a WK lift, make sure the swaybar links are installed properly!

chadjans
06-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I have used Keith's welder once and my complaint is that the wire speed knob is right near the trigger and I kept hitting it when welding out of position. Glad all is well.

Sudz
06-17-2007, 09:11 PM
1. Don't wheel alone.
2. When installing a WK lift, make sure the swaybar links are installed properly!
forgot one

3. A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Fell & crew)

Z
06-17-2007, 09:24 PM
forgot one

3. A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Fell & crew)

Ya got that right!

BigDaveZJ
06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey Tom, I've got your handheld radio in my truck. We'll figure out a way to get it to ya once we get back to town.

CurtP
06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
So....uh - where are the pics? :D

Cody
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
1. Don't wheel alone.

4: If you don't want festivities transpiring around a broken vehicle, then don't call Cody when he's at the brewery ;)

Glad we got the thing off the trail ok. I hope all the people up there didn't make anyone uncomfortable. I had fun--that trail isn't as bad in the dark :D

Z
06-18-2007, 04:18 PM
4: If you don't want festivities transpiring around a broken vehicle, then don't call Cody when he's at the brewery ;)

That explains a lot!

Glad we got the thing off the trail ok. I hope all the people up there didn't make anyone uncomfortable. I had fun--that trail isn't as bad in the dark :D

It made the experience a bit surreal! Not a bad thing, just unexpected.

Thanks again for the help!

Someone did take pictures, but I don't know who (it was pretty dark up there). Hopefully they'll surface soon.

wpcheairs
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Dan took some pictures but I'm not sure how they turnned out because of it being dark.

Had a good time helping with the recovery. As we were heading out I saw Steve's wife walking around looking out of sorts. When I asked what she was looking for she said that Steve, Tom and his Dad went for a test drive in the Jeep and they had been gone for a while now. I told her that we were going to rescue a WK on Moab Rim and that I thought that it was Steve so I brought her along for the ride.

Its pretty remarkable that a simple phone call rallied the troops and brought a diverse crew together to get the WK back together and down safely in a short amount of time.

Thanks to all that was part of this crew...

Bill

Brett M
06-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I had fun--that trail isn't as bad in the dark :D

Except for going down the trail in the dark...but I had a good co-pilot, thanks again Kevin ;)

DansZJ
06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Here you go: http://picasaweb.google.com/DansZJ/GrandSlamWest07WKRepairMoabRim
These were the best of the 20 or so shots I got.

wpcheairs
06-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Great Pictures Dan. Thanks for sharing...

Sandy R
06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
So, am I buying a WK for trail use? I wouldn't NOT buy a WK because of a busted tie rod. With the right driving skills, this thing is impressive. I might not buy a WK because the high belt line and low roof line make it a little difficult to stick my head out the window to see where my driver front tire is. Time to rent a WK for a week to see if I can live with it.

Yeah, Steve also took Gary and I out for a test drive Saturday evening. We stayed on the pavement though.

I'm not financially ready to buy a new Jeep yet because I'm still paying off my '05 Rubicon but my next vehicle will be the WK with the diesel. Even with 33s it had so much power compared to the 4.0L.

I could not have been more surprised and impressed with its off-road performance. With lift and larger tires this Jeep made everything look easy. I have to confess that after witnessing the WK in person on the rocks even with its IFS I am taking back everything negative that I have thought and said because this Jeep has really made me eat my words.

I anticipate that this will be one of the least expensive Jeeps to modify helping offset the sticker price. I will not part with either of my other two Jeeps so I guess we'll be a 3 Jeep family in the future. :)

KevinF
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Here you go: http://picasaweb.google.com/DansZJ/GrandSlamWest07WKRepairMoabRim
These were the best of the 20 or so shots I got.

Dude, at least airbrush out the fat rolls and give me a six-pack before posting those photos, lol.

Glad we could help, guys. I suggested to Keith that placing a Ford starter relay (or two or three...) to break the constant connection it has when the trigger was *NOT* being pulled might be a good idea. My frustration had more to do with the arc-spark that kept happening when I would get the lead close to the work than with anything, but if the connection was severed by a relay/contactor, it would be a LOT more easy to use. I agree also with Chad...they couldn't have put that wire speed adjuster knob in any worse position. Seriously...how many times do you need to adjust the speed WHILE you are welding...dumb. Put the knob on the bottom where your thumb doesn't hit it. With those minor changes, that Rediweld would be a great tool. I was pretty impressed with the penetration that it had, and would buy one assuming the previously mentioned mods.

I really appreciate the fact that Steve trusted my welds and the equipment I was using so much to wheel it the next day AND drive all the way home on it to Michigan. I would have felt more comfortable having him get it checked out by a professional shop with professional equipment before taking it out since I was welding two different kinds of steel together with a welder I had never used before, and a helmet that was I was not able to see through.

No offense meant whatsoever, Steve...I just don't want anyone to get hurt.

Happy to help,
Kevin

PassRunnerZJ
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Here are some pics of the WK on Wipeout Hill. I was impressed with the tourque of the engine as Steve basically just putted up the hill with little momentum. He didn't try the West side as he had 33's and a long drive back to Detroit over the next few days.

Z
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Steve also took Gary and I out for a test drive Saturday evening. We stayed on the pavement though.

I'm not financially ready to buy a new Jeep yet because I'm still paying off my '05 Rubicon but my next vehicle will be the WK with the diesel. Even with 33s it had so much power compared to the 4.0L.

I could not have been more surprised and impressed with its off-road performance. With lift and larger tires this Jeep made everything look easy. I have to confess that after witnessing the WK in person on the rocks even with its IFS I am taking back everything negative that I have thought and said because this Jeep has really made me eat my words.

I anticipate that this will be one of the least expensive Jeeps to modify helping offset the sticker price. I will not part with either of my other two Jeeps so I guess we'll be a 3 Jeep family in the future. :)

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy, where is your imagination!??!?!?!

Have Colortone buy a white WK. Paint a waving American flag over the whole thing, preferably with red and blue paint that changes color depending on your viewing position. Add some tastefully sized Colortone logos. Add a 4" lift, 34" tires and take it to shows and trail rides. Write it off as a promotional vehicle and possibly get some business out of it!

recon zj
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Ha, ha, ha - good idea! And he'd have to drive it home every night, since I don't think he'd want to leave it parked outside the store!

Have Colortone buy a white WK. Paint a waving American flag over the whole thing, preferably with red and blue paint that changes color depending on your viewing position. Add some tastefully sized Colortone logos. Add a 4" lift, 34" tires and take it to shows and trail rides. Write it off as a promotional vehicle and possibly get some business out of it!

Sandy R
06-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Hey! Hmmmm! ;) Wonder if my brothers would buy this idea?

JohnBoulderCO
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Just surprise them. Ask forgiveness later if needed.

jsteves
06-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Just surprise them. Ask forgiveness later if needed.

It's always better to beg for forgivness than ask permission :smt003

PassRunnerZJ
06-21-2007, 10:19 AM
It's always better to beg for forgivness than ask permission :smt003

Forgivenes gets expensive after a while, especially when you can't buy any more furniture or appliances for the house. What did it cost Kolby Bryant $6 mil? But yes, sometimes it is.

Or there is the, don't you remember talking about it and I thought you said it was OK, but I was going to wait a little while after all the research was done and I had found the best price...

CurtP
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm finding some neat things on my WK that I didn't know it had. Like the lower air dam on the front bumper has QT fasteners so it can be removed quickly to go wheeling. I found out about those last night when I pulled the front end apart to install the tow hooks. You can see that the air dam is removed in the pictures in post 19.

I'm going to try to install the hitch tonight - I'm kind of looking forward to hacking on the rear bumper cover. I'm already thinking about a lift and bigger tires too - but I'll probably go with 31". Maybe a 245/70-17 in something like a Firestone Destination MT...

It's already starting :D