PDA

View Full Version : sheared cross shaft

egg
06-14-2007, 01:26 AM
went to change my diff fluid this afternoon before work and what do I find in my pumpkin, a 3/4" chunk of the long cross shaft for my arb. I'm gonna try like hell to get a new one tommorrow and get it in, but I don't know if 4wheelparts or high country will have it. who else carries specialty parts like this? does anyone have a spare? I need arb part#061101 for my rd69, I didn't panic soon enough because I figured that I've been driving around on it just fine, I'm a frickin idiot

egg
06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
nevermind now. I'm having one next dayed to me from arb now, I will miss wheeling on friday but I will be there for sat and sunday

egg
06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
$%#@, ARB did not ship my new cross shaft yesterday and I won't have it till monday. GSW is out for me. I'm sorry for any inconveniences I've caused anyone, especially if I was taking a spot someone else wanted. I would say see ya next year, but I reckon I'm banned for next year now. this sucks.

BigDaveZJ
06-16-2007, 01:25 AM
That sucks man. We were just under capacity this year so nobody was waiting for a spot. And we understand mechanical issues like that, so no worries for next year.

egg
06-16-2007, 08:01 PM
That sucks man. We were just under capacity this year so nobody was waiting for a spot. And we understand mechanical issues like that, so no worries for next year.

righteous man, thanks. hope to see you out on the colorado trails.

Check Book WJ
06-17-2007, 11:54 AM
About your sheared cross shaft.... It's a possibility that your axle tubes on your diff housing may be bent and causing a situation that broke it. I did the same thing on an older ARB RD06 in a D44, and the people at ARB told me to check the tubes to see if they were straight, and sure enough they were angled enough to cause a situation where the carrier actually gets compressed at a weird angle and the spider gears will bind up on the cross pins, and in my case it put enough torsion on the long cross shaft to fracture it into 2 pieces ( the old design kind of sucks because it's only pinned to the carrier at one end, the new ones are pinned at both ends).

I had a shop straighten the tubes, and they verified it was straight by using some bushings in place of the outer axle bearings and the carrier bearings and a rod machined to the same ID as the hole in the bushings. When they had it straight, the shaft slid through without binding.

John

egg
06-18-2007, 05:17 PM
the cross shaft got sheered prolly because I'm an idiot and didn't get the retaining pin and the shaft lined up properly. heres a pic of where the retaining pin was pressing on the piece I found in the pumpkin. the new pin showed up today, it was UPS bad, some kind of emergency condition on thursday night they say, bastards. the new pin is of different diameter than the old one, but the part # on the bag is right, I need to get in contact with ARB on this one