PDA

View Full Version : Over and Over

vsh
06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I've noticed many times, general questions are asked as threads become "burried".

The responses I read are

do a search

how many times do we have to cover this

so on and so forth......

So, the question I put forth is,

Why not have a section "New to Mallcrawlin" (for example) that contain sticky threads with the best of the best threads containing complete details and information that deal with each of the issues that would help out the beginners who ask the same questions (over and over and over) like when we all started in this hobby and became expert backyard mechanics.

my 0.02 cents

SirFuego
06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Like you, in my searches here, I have found that many of the threads with relevant information are a couple years old. There are two easy ways to deal with this:

1) Immediately go to the last page of search results and start looking at them there (thus you are looking at the older threads first). This method has proven very fruitful for me many times over.

2) Use the advanced search, and sort the threads in ascending order based on date.

Also, don't limit yourself to one search term and give up. Different combinations may yield different results.
There is also already a FAQ/Stickies section with a LOT of useful information.

DJJordache
06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
DO A SEARCH!:smt082 Sorry I had to do it:D

yeah it might be a good idea to have a sticky thread in the newb department that had links to commonly asked questions as a good quick reference.
But I hate to sound like an ass but this site was really not created to cater to people who are new to ZJ's or wheeling/modifying anyway, most of us on here are far from the stock grocery getter that our Jeeps started their lives as.
Yes we realize everyone has to start somewhere in this hobby (aka modifying disease) and that some people were just not born with a wrench in hand but most people use this site as a graduation from sites like JU JF NAGCA etc... that we cater to the ZJ WJ platforms without being as harsh to newbs as Pirate is.

BigDaveZJ
06-08-2007, 10:26 AM
You find me the thread and I'll sticky them!

corrupt143
06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
This one DJJordache did in Drivetrain is very useful. Maybe it should be put in Faqs or made sticky. I used this info numerous times and seen plenty of questions where it would of answered their questions.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9448

SOLITUDE
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
yeah I posted my "Transfer Case Spotters Guide"

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12697

It needs to be moved to drivetrain, but I was unable to start a new thread there because I don't have enough posts on this site yet.... ugh.