PDA

View Full Version : Tellico Bypasses and Trail Maintenance

ATL ZJ
05-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Let me start by reminding everyone that the Tusquitee Ranger District imposed seasonal closures on four trails in the Upper Tellico ORV area this winter for the first time ever. The user fee has also increased from $5 to $10, year round. Lower 2 was actually closed for a couple days this week, and has since reopened. Info from one of the locals is posted in this thread (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584997). The following is an excerpt from another post found here (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584473):

PLEASE POST THIS ON ANY OTHER FORUM THAT DISCUSSES THE UPPER TELLICO OHV.

I just had a lengthy conversation with the N.C. Rangers that handle the Tellico OHV, received some useful information and was asked to pass it on in order to keep the trails in good shape. At this point, the trails will not close, but if the following things are not observed, they will continue to raise the fee until it is outrageous, which will cover repair of the trails via the outsourced trail maintenance contractors. I do not want to see $40 - $50 fees to ride.

First and foremost, the main thing they are trying to control right now is erosion and sediment around any streams, creeks or rivers. Secondly, ALL man made ATV bypasses are FORBIDDEN. If you are caught on an ATV bypass, you're vehicle WILL be impounded and you WILL be fined. Here is the word, directly from the horses mouth as to the other obstacles. No more speculation.

1. LOWER 2: This obstacle is not closed. You may NOT take a bypass. Stay on the main trail, take tag numbers (if available) of vehicles that attempt otherwise and report to the Ranger district at (828) 837-5152.

2. SLICKROCK: You may NOT take the bypass on the upper half or the ATV bypass to the right. This trail is under a maintenance contract and the bypass is for maintenance vehicles only. Stay on the main trail and take tag numbers (if available) of vehicles that attempt otherwise and report to the Ranger district at (828) 837-5152.

3. GUARDRAIL: You MAY take the lower route to the left around the main line to get to the top. This is not considered a bypass.

4. SCHOOLBUS: You MAY take the right line (the lesser of the evils) on the main trail. You MAY NOT use the "ATV bypass" off to the far right.

5. ALL OTHER OBSTACLES: You are NOT to manually disturb any of the land features or terrain. Winching logs or rocks out of the way is forbidden and you will be fined and/or possibly jailed.

Again, the USFS is mainly concerned about unnecessary erosion and sediment around water. I was specifically told that they were not as concerned about the upper ridge as they were at lower elevations by the water sources. In my opinion, USFS needs to post signs regarding this info so it will be clear. If you would like to verify anything posted, please call (828) 837-5152.

rob92xj
06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I read about that on Pirate and NC4X4. We all need to work to keep these places open for everyone to use.

ATL ZJ
06-30-2007, 01:17 AM
SELC Files Notice of Intent - Tellico OHV Area at Risk

This is a repost from the land use section on PBB

SELC joins sportsmen, other conservationists in protecting native trout streams in Nantahala National Forest

Severe erosion of ORV trails in the Tellico Area of the Nantahala National Forest channels muddy water to nearby streams, threatening some of the last brook trout populations in the Southern Appalachians.

For generations of Southerners, the brook trout is a symbol of the region's natural bounty and plentiful outdoors recreation opportunities. The native species, which survives only in the cleanest, coldest water, is also a symbol of water quality in our mountains.

Decades of intensive logging, sprawl development and other impacts have polluted trout streams and extirpated brookies from much of their historical range. In the South, some of the last, best habitat for this fish is on public lands.

One of these areas is the upper Tellico River watershed, with headwaters in the Nantahala National Forest in Cherokee County, North Carolina; the watershed flows into the Cherokee National Forest in bordering Tennessee. For years, Tellico has been a popular destination for anglers.

It's also become one of the largest and most intensively used areas for off-road vehicle (ORV) users. The sport entails driving customized "monster" trucks, as well as smaller all-terrain vehicles through rugged terrain - the steeper the trails, the more challenging. And the more damaging to the forest floor and water quality.

Years of heavy use and erosion have turned trails in the Tellico area into massive ditches, some more than seven feet deep. In wet conditions, these ditches channel muddy water into nearby streams.

The US Forest Service has designated 40 miles of trails in the Tellico area for ORV use - twice the legal limit. This doesn't take into account the innumberable smaller illegal trails forged by ORV users. Further, in violation of federal and state law, many of these trails are within 100 feet of streams and creeks. The agency's own studies show that brook trout populations in the area and downstream in Tennessee have declined due to impacts from ORV use. Yet the agency has failed to take the necessary steps to protect and restore the trout streams.

On June 28, SELC filed a "notice of intent to sue" the agency for failing to enforce the law. We are representing Trout Unlimited, both the North Carolina and Tennessee Councils, as well as Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Project. We are calling on the Forest Service to permanently close the most environmentally damaging trails, and seasonally close the entire system.

With ORV use growing rapidly in the South's national forests, our legal action aims to make clear to the Forest Service its responsibility to get on top of the problem now.

For additional information: http://southernstudies.org/facingsou...onists-sue.asp

Jim311
06-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Damn, who'd have thought that trout fisherman would be trying to get ATV trails closed?

ATL ZJ
06-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Damn, who'd have thought that trout fisherman would be trying to get ATV trails closed?

No kidding.. I have a number of friends who wheel and also fly fish..

Rest of the story is here (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6960592#post6960592)

JeepinHank
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Sounds sort of foreboding. If the SELC wins in court, and that place gets closed, we all might as well sell our rigs. This would set an ugly precedent.

I can't say I blame the rangers for taking the drastic measures hinted at in the original post.