PDA

View Full Version : cutting brake?

canadian_driver
05-21-2007, 11:07 PM
so i was mowing the grass today (rotary mower behind a tractor) and when turning tight turns to do another pass i press the right brake pedal to lock the right wheel and turn super tight, which got me thinking, i wonder if anyone has done this to offroad trucks, sure enough alot of the pro rock crawlers do, so has anyone done it with a zj? or have any information on it, do you think i could retrofit a 2nd ebrake handle to the parking brakes and instead of having both brake cables goto one and into the zj have two handles to be able use it as a cutting brake?

fr3db3ar
05-22-2007, 10:19 AM
YES

Cue-Ball
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Actually in the latest issue of Petersons 4 wheel drive magazine there is a big article on cutting brakes and they did talk about a 2nd E-brake handle and splitting the e-brakes between the 2 handles.

canadian_driver
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually in the latest issue of Petersons 4 wheel drive magazine there is a big article on cutting brakes and they did talk about a 2nd E-brake handle and splitting the e-brakes between the 2 handles.

actually just picked it up on the way home from work, thoes hydro ones would be nice. they also have a nice article about zj in it, so does jp mag

Fullsizexj
05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I would rather have front and rear brake options, I have a Dana 300 transfercase I am gonna flip and twinstick so I can do front or rear burns, I already have a linelock for the rear, I am considering doing one for the front then I can lock either end and then I can do the burn, then just tap the brake and it will release and go. The problem I see with cutting brakes is if you have a full time locker, you will be putting alot of sress on the brakes if they will even hold or you could be busting brake mounts or backing plates on the axle, If you have an air locker it would not be a problem as you could release it first and then just the free side would turn, things to think about is all

Cue-Ball
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
That is very true. The Websters have their Red Bull Buggy cutting brakes tied in with the Lovell transfercase so that Becca engages the cutting brake on the drivers front wheel the TC shifts so that it is only sending power to the rear wheel, they also have ARB's that are tied in as well so they engage/disengage as needed.

It really is pretty slick. Point is you can set the cutting brakes up almost ANY way you want to so that they work for your application.

Fullsizexj
05-24-2007, 04:29 PM
That is true, just wanted to make sure folks realized all the variables involved when setting something up, planning is the hardest part of the whole thing

Cue-Ball
05-24-2007, 04:31 PM
planning is the hardest part of the whole thing

Very very true.

canadian_driver
05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I would rather have front and rear brake options, I have a Dana 300 transfercase I am gonna flip and twinstick so I can do front or rear burns, I already have a linelock for the rear, I am considering doing one for the front then I can lock either end and then I can do the burn, then just tap the brake and it will release and go. The problem I see with cutting brakes is if you have a full time locker, you will be putting alot of sress on the brakes if they will even hold or you could be busting brake mounts or backing plates on the axle, If you have an air locker it would not be a problem as you could release it first and then just the free side would turn, things to think about is all

whats a front burn?
also if you disengauge the front or rear driveshaft and apply the parking brake you would be able to get the same effect as having a rear brake, which is what it is basicly. i dont see how a front only brake would be useful? i also have ARB lockers so im well aware of how it would put stress on a full time locker

J B
05-24-2007, 05:07 PM
That is very true. The Websters have their Red Bull Buggy cutting brakes tied in with the Lovell transfercase so that Becca engages the cutting brake on the drivers front wheel the TC shifts so that it is only sending power to the rear wheel, they also have ARB's that are tied in as well so they engage/disengage as needed.

It really is pretty slick. Point is you can set the cutting brakes up almost ANY way you want to so that they work for your application.

Yep. The cutting brake is generally applied to only one wheel, so that you can pivot around that wheel. Obviously, if the axle is locked, you can't isolate a single wheel, so a great deal of flexibility has to be planned into the system.

OverkillZJ
05-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Locker both rears and doing a front dig if you have twin sticks is a very similar effect.

Fullsizexj
05-24-2007, 05:15 PM
whats a front burn?
also if you disengauge the front or rear driveshaft and apply the parking brake you would be able to get the same effect as having a rear brake, which is what it is basicly. i dont see how a front only brake would be useful? i also have ARB lockers so im well aware of how it would put stress on a full time locker
A front burn is when you lock the rear brakes and disengage the rear axle, this allows you to pull the front left or right as needed, same goes for a rear burn which is usefull if you are on an off camber area and want to get pointed back uphill, it allows you to slide the rear back around to point back uphill again

canadian_driver
05-24-2007, 07:05 PM
A front burn is when you lock the rear brakes and disengage the rear axle, this allows you to pull the front left or right as needed, same goes for a rear burn which is usefull if you are on an off camber area and want to get pointed back uphill, it allows you to slide the rear back around to point back uphill again

so its the same as a front dig, thought u ment like burn outs, lol

dp96zj
09-30-2011, 02:10 AM
^dude, quit reviving dead threads and spamming our forum.

Can he get the banhammer please?

Kraqa
10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
If you have an arb in the rear you can disengage it so it's like an open dif. Then lock only one side. And the other rear wheel (that isn't locked) helps the vehicle turn. 3 wheel drive. It's actually more effective for turning then lOcking the rear axle and just powering te front axle

SB406
10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
If you have an arb in the rear you can disengage it so it's like an open dif. Then lock only one side. And the other rear wheel (that isn't locked) helps the vehicle turn. 3 wheel drive. It's actually more effective for turning then lOcking the rear axle and just powering te front axle

Plus, due to the spider gears, that 3rd wheel is spinning twice as fast, helping even more.