PDA

View Full Version : New Tow Rig...Maybe???

MoonWorks
05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
So, I've been looking around for a good tow rig for the past few months. But of course like everyone else...I want more than I'm willing to invest at the moment plus I've had limited time to search. Today I found this and like it...

2000 Chevy 2500
extended cab
long bed
98k miles
Z82 pkg
4x4
gas (5.7 I think, I know it was a vortec)
interior and exterior were in excellent shape
included matching fiberglass shell but also had a bedliner
already had a brake box etc. which I think is part of the Z82 pkg
--and trans temp gauge

They were asking $15.4k, which I think is a bit high but it's in mint condition. What do you guys think...goods and bads?

CurtP
05-16-2007, 09:43 PM
It's a gasser - I wouldn't even consider it.

aresridingflat
05-16-2007, 09:58 PM
It's a gasser - I wouldn't even consider it.

x2.

especially with the price of gas now. I'm sure its worse elsewhere, but it's 3.30/g here...

lame

JOE
05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
That price seems quite high to me....gotta remember that truck is almost 8 years old. And, it was probably only 28-30k new, if that.

If you get a diesel you won't regret it!

Joe

DerekL
05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
for a pretty strict tow rig i wouldn't get gas, my dads f-250 gets 13mpg if that, but it's a v10, i say keep looking.

San Juan Grand
05-16-2007, 10:35 PM
The only thing that I don't like about my diesel is the payment!

JOE
05-16-2007, 11:03 PM
The only thing that I don't like about my diesel is the payment!

ditto that

MoonWorks
05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm having a really hard time finding a good diesel that doesn't have 300k on it and they don't want $30k for it. I agree with the price and I've already looked up book on it and it's about $2500 over book.

The price of diesel isn't really cheaper around here. Both gas and diesel are just shy of 3 bucks. So price of fuel won't change much. So other than lack of cooling issues and the overall longevity of the motor, ability to tune it easier to get more hp...what else will I be gaining with diesel? Gas mileage really shouldn't be much better with diesel.

Cody
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
deisel will get much better mileage. Just keep looking.

I paid 13,500 for my 1999 ctd quad cab 3 years ago, and sold it three months ago for the same price.

Go make a friend at the local dealership--preferably one that does fleet sales and doesn't sell a ton of used vehicles. They get lots of trade ins and they will just sell them to a smaller usded car dealer. If you can get in at the right time they'll sell it to you for what they would sell it to teh dealer for. Thats what I did anyway.

Patience is key.

Do you need 4wd? If not, PM Kevin. He has a Powerstroke Excursion for sale for a good price and it's really clean and has some upgrades.

BigDaveZJ
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I picked up my 01 'stroke with 96k on it for only a bit more than the gasser you found. Hold out for a diesel. I love being able to drive up the mountain passes around here with the truck, trailer, and Jeep and being able to fly past vehicles that aren't pulling anything!

2KFLEXJ
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
I grabbed my '99 extra cab CTD 4x4 in Jan. of this year for under 10K. It needed a little TLC but with only 115K and a stock rebuilt trans and no BOMBS I felt good. I have added the usual, tow mirrors, FP guage, 4" exhaust, BHAF 4510, Tool box, and as Dave said its great to have it loaded to the gills and still be able to haul up the VA. NC. TN. mountain passes. You will certainly be happier with a diesel of some sort, I love mine (just wish it was newer body style!).

-Steveo

MoonWorks
05-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys...I've really tried to be patient with this whole thing and I'm getting frustrated not being able to find one that's not fucked up or they don't want 30k as I said earlier. I'd really like to stay at 10k...have found a couple of nice gassers at 12. This one was super clean and had a lot of the features I was looking for. That's why I was so interested in it.

San Juan Grand
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I would take a diesel motor over bells and whistles.

nate
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Is that gasser a 6.0L?

OverkillZJ
05-18-2007, 09:23 AM
If you really want to tow, you will not regret a diesel. Unless you're always towing on flat, you will regret a gasser!

ZJZJ
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
There is a '91 Dodge Cummins listed on GL4x4 for $4k here in MI. It has like 170k on it, but that is a great price for an older Cummins. Cheap to crank up the power on them as well.

J B
05-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm generally of the opinion that if you need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, you need a diesel.

Almost any Dodge 3/4 ton or 1 ton you see will be a CTD simply because the gas engine options are gutless. The Hemi is ok for a half ton truck, but it just doesn't have the low end grunt that a really big displacement gas engine would have. Until 2007, Chevy had an 8.0L gas engine that was ok if you just didn't want a diesel, and at least Ford still has the 6.8L V10.

So, traditionally, you'd still see a lot of Chevy and Ford gas burners running around, and very few Dodges. I think I have only seen three 3/4 ton Dodge truicks that didn't have the Cummins, and a friend mine owns one....with a 318 (yeah, I can't figure it out either).

Now that Chevy no longer offers the 8.0L gas burner, I bet you'll see more Duramax models on the road.

nate
05-18-2007, 05:06 PM
I see lots of 2500s with gas engines.

If your not towing often or heavy, getting a gasser makes more sense. A 7000-8000lbs car trailer isn't very heavy and you don't need a diesel to pull that.

Diesels are more money to buy and more money to maintain. For a few years up until now, more money for fuel too.
Like last summer, paying just under $4 a gallon for diesel, while gas was around $3 a gallon.

JOE
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
hey if you want a diesel I'll sell you my truck!

J B
05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I see lots of 2500s with gas engines.

Dodges? I see gassers in the 3/4 flavors almost never....Now, Chevys and Fords, yes.

If your not towing often or heavy, getting a gasser makes more sense. A 7000-8000lbs car trailer isn't very heavy and you don't need a diesel to pull that.

If you're not towing often or heavy, then you can get by with a half ton.

nate
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes Dodges. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist :D What do you think the V10 engines were used on?

MoonWorks
05-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, It's not that I tow daily or anything b/c that's not the case. I'll be towing my ZJ probably once every month or two. All of you know the ZJ is heavy as crap to start with and the trailer I generally use is a bit over 4k. So I figure I'll generally be around 9k or so. I towed it up to bigdogs last month with my brother-in-laws f150 and it actually didn't do have bad. Yet when I got on a big climb, I knew it was there. Yet I'm used to towing with small trucks and the ZJ so it's nothing new to me.

Joe...it you're speaking of you '05, I'd be really interested in it but probably not the price. Hit me up though and let me know for sure.

Nate...I agree with you in the fact that since I'm not towing daily that a gasser would do fine. However, I want to get a good truck that I can hang on to for a while and not dump 30k into and get rid of in a couple of years. I have a tendency of doing that with cars now. I want to get it and hang on to it.

ZJZJ
05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
That's the main reason I bought the diesel. I have had it almost 3 years and it has 91,000 miles on it. I like knowing that I should have another 300,000 miles on the engine. Ok, so I may have a couple trannies in there to replace...

goodolboy71
05-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Diesel, no two ways about, though if you really want gas, The chevy and ford 3/4 are a dime a dozen at the sales.....how far are you from Columbia SC.....more than welcome to come to the sale and pick one out, as long as you got your money...for around 15k your looking at a ext 02 dodge diesel with 100k on it...give or take a little for more for about the same ford...To them that truck is worth or they paid at most around 7500.00 for it, if its a LS, less for a regular.....if your set on that one , they got alot of room to work with