PDA

View Full Version : Project "Big Red Jeep"

fpkites
05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
So, nothing from when I first got it, but this is pretty close - sold my 96 XJ and bought my 96 ZJ from my folks so I could pull my popup camper a little bit better. As of this pic, I had just put 30x9.50 Yokohama Geolandars on, and had put my CB antenna on

http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/JeepNewTiresFL.jpg

About a year after I got it, after just having done some mild trails (Rollins pass and equivalent), ArloGuthroJeep brought me up to Johnny Park and showed me what a Grand can really do. Just had a KOR radiator support at this point for front recovery.
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Johnny-Park-10-23-05/Weberized/IMG_2798.jpg

Met up with some folks from another forum, and caught the bug after a trip up to Moody Hill
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Moody-Hill-11-6-05/Weberized/IMG_2854.jpg

Sliders in March of '06
http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/Sliderz/bolt-on/Picture%20035.jpg

After a couple of love taps on the stock crossmember, I decided it was time to put a TC skid on - I got the crossmember/skid combo from KOR in May of 06
http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/crossmember/Picture%20016.jpg

After Colorado 5.9 asked me "So when you gonna lift it?" at Slaughterhouse, I decided it was time to ditch the BB and find some coils. Got some 3.5" Teraflex coils and slapped them in
http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/BillMoore06302006/100_1896%20(Large).JPG
Drove around with the skateboard look for a little while, then found that my Geolandars should never have been siped - suckers were chunking like mad. So, Discount Tire gave me warranty credit on them to the tune of $76 a tire. Used that to jump up to 32s, and selected the new Kumho MT KL71.
http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/Tires/100_4005.JPG

Nice and equipped for the mall!
http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/LHC050607/Jeep%20090%20(Large).jpg

DCHZJ
05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Looking nice,
How do you like the Kumho MT?

How are then on road and off? Rock?

fpkites
05-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Love them - definitely the best tire I've ever had - doesn't mean much though, it's the first MT I've ever had :D

On road, they have a nice hum - not a rumble. Directional tires, so they're very well mannered. Pretty resistant to hydroplaning too.

Super grippy on the trails - I've had them aired down to 20 for Carnage (near Boulder, CO), and then aired them down to 15 for a trail near Carnage. They just wrap around the rocks and grab like claws. They spit out mud like a loogie too - no racing slick behavior at all. They really add a mean look to the Heep too - I'm definitely pleased.

1fox2go
05-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Nice man, those tires kinda look like the x terrains, any more plans for it?

fpkites
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Going up another inch to clear the 32s a little better (3.5" is the bare minimum to clear that size tire without fairly significant gutting), intend to do that before GSW. Needs a rear adjustable trackbar to kick that axle back where it's supposed to be, and I'll hopefully be putting adjustable arms on it soon.

It never ends...I won't be done for a looooong time...if ever :D

CurtP
05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Did Discount have to order those for you? When I went to DT for a set of the KL71's, they didn't even have them in their computer system yet. They ordered them from TireRack.com and gave me their full warranty. I've had them on for several thousand miles now and have been very pleased.

I've posted about them before - these are so much better than the MTR's they replaced in the same size.

fpkites
05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Discount had to input the SKU for me. I found them at TireRack, and brought the printout into the store so they would price match. Tires came from the Kumho factory in California.

These tires have kicked ass in everything I've thrown at them. No snow yet - that's the only element I haven't tried them out in.

DCHZJ
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Only way to end it is to sell it.....but then you just end up with something else that drains your bank account......So keep it , Break it, fix it, then bend the Unibody and then buggy it.

fpkites
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Yuppers!

CurtP
05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Discount had to input the SKU for me. I found them at TireRack, and brought the printout into the store so they would price match. Tires came from the Kumho factory in California.

These tires have kicked ass in everything I've thrown at them. No snow yet - that's the only element I haven't tried them out in.

They ordered mine from TireRack. They told me that directly and I saw the shipping tag on them when they arrived. I also saw what they paid for them - I wish I could have got them for that price :smt047

I had mine installed before winter and they did excellent in the snow. My only question is how durable the sidewalls are compared to the MTR.

96zj4x4
05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Nice ZJ man! miss my 96, but the 01 will get it done soon enough..

ArloGuthroJeep
05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey Jim if you come over tonight, I'll try cutting your side wall:D

fpkites
05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Fender lips are actually great...it's the damn sheet metal crap that supports the side mounts for the bumper skin. I keep bending the shit outta that.

Fender liners are almost gone too - passenger side has been trimmed very scientifically via tire rub, and driver's side is almost there too.

1.25" spacers, rear trackbar, and possibly short arms are coming soon, I think.

redzjon31's
05-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Looks good so far nice work

SuicideTireZJ
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Your drag link looks happy

fpkites
05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Tie rod has a big 'ol grin. Kissed a curb during the Denver blizzard back in December and it bent. Took it over to Astro and he said it aligned fine and the joints were good, so I'm sticking with it.

It actually straightened a little bit when I sat on a rock up at Carnage :D

Gotta love the beefy V8 solid tie rod.

fpkites
06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Another 1.25" higher as of last night. Big thanks to Colorado 5.9 for both the screaming deal on the pucks, as well as the help on the boost...sure wish that sucker went better, gotta be one of the worst luck BBs I've ever done.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/TFlexPucks/100_4814%20%5b1024x768%5d.JPG

Tires are much further from the pinch weld, which helps a bunch. Still have some spots that need some sledge hammer lovin', but less now that I got those pucks in there. I'll take official H2F measurements today to see what it's really sitting at.

CLASH
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
are those KOR sliders?

fpkites
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Yep...LP-1s

Saved my ass many a time...rattled my wife's teeth a few times too :D

Snowhobo
06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I definately like it. Looks like that adjustable track bar never made it on the back yet :D

fpkites
06-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Adjustable trackbar made it out of the garage and on the Heep tonight - big thanks to Colorado 5.9 - couldn't have done it without Scott.

Trail pics tomorrow - mild shakedown run before GSW.

fpkites
06-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Kickass - 4.5" of lift or so (still haven't gotten off my lazy ass and measured) on stock arms, and it did great - I can only imagine what it'll do when I can finally get some adjustables on it. At full stuff, I had a slight cut on that front bit of pinch seam - I'll try sledgehammer lovin' first, then as a last resort I'll add another inch of bumpstop.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/MillerRock060907/Jeep%20030%20(Large).jpg

JordanA
06-10-2007, 03:05 AM
Lookin good man.

fpkites
06-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks - only vibes I have seem to be at about 60mph, and it's from the front. I'm sure it's that crapola CV driveshaft. I'll have to rape an XJ at the junkyard to get a double cardan.

Rear shaft slip yoke is pretty far out now too, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Almost time for a Woody!

Tires side-hilled really good. We had a few minor ruts that I could have just driven through and dealt with the tippiness, but decided I wanted to try out the side lugs. Grabbed like claws. I was super impressed.

fpkites
06-20-2007, 09:04 PM
GSW was absolutely incredible! Never knew my rig could do all that - amazing people too.

Big thanks to Kevin from Kevins Offroad for the lightbar he donated to the giveaway. Installed it tonight. Install is a little bit frustrating at times, but damn thing's beefy as all hell.

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/GSW_2007/Jeep%20557%20(Large).jpg

Next mod will be a taurus fan swap - WesTexZJ and K2 convinced me of that on the trail. Gotta ditch that POS clutch fan before the clutch lets loose and keeps the fan from spinning at all.

ajmorell
06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
It's sad how much alike our suspension set-ups are.

fpkites
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been lucky not to have had DW real bad on this setup. Now comes the expensive shit though. Arms, front locker, eventually axles....this shit never ends :D

ajmorell
06-25-2007, 08:40 AM
I've been lucky not to have had DW real bad on this setup. Now comes the expensive shit though. Arms, front locker, eventually axles....this shit never ends :D

Tell me about it. I have 4 of the 8 adj. arms sitting in my bedroom, and will be ordering the 4 rears here in the next week or so probably. I also have already bought an 8.8 and will be buying a HP30 from a kid up at school when classes start up in Sept.

fpkites
06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
You've got a pretty good head start one then Andy...scraped the bottom of the barrel getting trackbar bushings :rofl:

nierace
06-25-2007, 09:47 AM
fpkites,

You have a nice grand....for a zeeee jay

:smt006

ajmorell
06-25-2007, 10:00 AM
You've got a pretty good head start one then Andy...scraped the bottom of the barrel getting trackbar bushings :rofl:

Yeah well, I'm about in the same place. I bought the axle, but I'm too poor to do anything with it....:smt089. There is multiple other things I need before I start investing money in gears and lockers for it....like a t-case & gas skid

fpkites
06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
fpkites,

You have a nice grand....for a zeeee jay

:smt006

Well thanks there Nicky :D :rofl:

fpkites
07-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Ordered the shtuff for my Taurus fan swap today - should see it in a few weeks. Damn tired of having this luxo-cruiser and not being able to run the AC on the trail :D

fpkites
07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Finally got my KOR steering brace installed today. I was back and forth with Kevin for 3 weeks or so because it wasn't lining up right. Turned out I got a brace that was about 1/8" shorter than his regular design - Kev says he thinks it was an issue with his new welding monkey. He had me dremel out the mounts a little bit to make it fit.

Got it bolted up today, and now I feel much better about cranking the wheel on the trail :D

As always, I fully recommend anything coming out of Kevins Offroad. His sliders have saved my ass more times than I can count, TC skid and radiator support have stopped me from doing something stupid. The man is a genius.

fpkites
08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Radiator number 2 in less than a year just went in. CSF from Radiator Barn started separating on me at the driver side tank. Called up RB, they sent me an advance replacement, and swapped it in today. Man, ZJ radiators are a pain in the ass. Everything buttoned up good except for the nut/clip thing on the passenger side. Fawker got stolen by a gremlin or something. Left that one bolt out until I can drop by the stealership to grab a new clip.

Still waiting on my Taurus fan controller...4 weeks out, so should see it soon I hope.

fpkites
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Taurus fan controller showed up when I was in Callaway, NE for a kite festival Labor Day weekend (don't it fuckin' figure?). The weekend after, I was camping with the family, so yesterday (9-15-07)was the day to do the swap. It was another of those totally fucked up installs that everything that can go wrong will, along with some extra shit.

Anyway, DC Controls Taurus fan control box is in and working, for the most part. As soon as I get this: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=160601#post160601 figured out, I'll do a full writeup on the install. So far (idling in the driveway, running to Vatozone to shove the "fan clutch kit" up the parts monkey's ass), this thing kicks ass. Dash gauge won't go above 210, and I had to jump the AC switch lead (on the DCC box) to get it to even want to go past 50% speed...it was keeping (dash gauge) engine temp under control just fine, but the air conditioning sucked rocks. When I supplied 12v to that lead, fan kicked up, and my ancient-ass AC started blowing colder than it has in years.

Bottom line, Ford Taurus 2-speed 3.8L radiator fan kicks freaking ass!

Green Mountain ZJ
09-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Going up another inch to clear the 32s a little better (3.5" is the bare minimum to clear that size tire without fairly significant gutting), intend to do that before GSW. Needs a rear adjustable trackbar to kick that axle back where it's supposed to be, and I'll hopefully be putting adjustable arms on it soon.

Nice Jeep. Those wheels must have some wicked offset though. I had 32 with 2.5" of lift on the stock rims and cleared fine. I was actually wishing I had gone with some 33x10.5 on some stock steelies. Good luck with the build.

fpkites
09-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment - rims are Cragar 15x8 Soft-8s with 4" backspacing. They keep those 32x11.50s nice and far away from the suspension components. Haven't trimmed any metal yet, just the bumper cover and fender liners. Passenger liner is on a highway somewhere, driver will probably get ripped out soon :rofl:

fpkites
03-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Guess I haven't touched my build thread in a long damn time.

Since then, I blew up my stock CV driveshaft at Twin Cone, then went to Colorado A&P and raped an XJ just as I promised. Ted_Z had a front yoke, so I got that from him for the cost of a 12-pack of Coors Light. We popped it in using his garage.

JSteves sold me his old KOR trackbar conversion, so now I'm pimping yet another Kevins product. RE extended brake lines are in the plan, but the stockers are being whores and not letting the old ones loose. Might have to vise grip the flare nut on the hardline side, but I'm keeping that as a last resort.

BigDaveZJ
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Have you tried using a flare wrench yet?

fpkites
03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Yup, 3/8" flare wrench is trying to round the head. I've got it soaking with Amsoil MP right now, thinking maybe the fittings are seized. I'll give it a few more shots of MP before I resort to mashing it with vise grips. I really don't want to pull out the vise grips :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Sure it's not metric??

fpkites
03-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Fairly positive - I tried 8-11, and they just didn't feel right. 3/8" felt more snug when I had my box wrenches on it, and as soon as I felt even a tinge of slip, I went to Vatozone for flare wrenches.

Combining Amsoil MP with PB Blaster now - I wonder if I'll see pink elephants? :D

BigDaveZJ
03-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Add a little brake cleaner and you've got a nice little automotive cocktail there!

I seem to remember using 10mm on mine, couldn't say for sure though.

fpkites
03-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I used brake cleaner to make it shiny already...any more might make fireworks :rofl:

10mm was wayyyy too big - massive amounts of slop...almost felt like I could round a corner with my kid wrenching on it. 3/8" still feels right, 9mm won't even get close to the edges of the flare nut.

Going to soak it tonight using my Amsoil/PB cocktail, then make another attempt tomorrow. If it's not moving, I'll give it some MAPP to heat it up a bit, then maybe I'll use the vise grips.

I truly hate using vise grips on anything though - way too easy to FUBAR stuff using those bitches. I basically use them to 1. lock my retarded husky in her crate, and 2. Fuck shit up :D

grandmaster
03-02-2008, 02:48 AM

I feel ya man. Mine is coming along too, its about at the stage yours is, maybe just a tiny further. I will post up some pictures as soon as I find some time.

CanadaDry
03-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Guess I haven't touched my build thread in a long damn time.

Since then, I blew up my stock CV driveshaft at Twin Cone, then went to Colorado A&P and raped an XJ just as I promised. Ted_Z had a front yoke, so I got that from him for the cost of a 12-pack of Coors Light. We popped it in using his garage.

JSteves sold me his old KOR trackbar conversion, so now I'm pimping yet another Kevins product. RE extended brake lines are in the plan, but the stockers are being whores and not letting the old ones loose. Might have to vise grip the flare nut on the hardline side, but I'm keeping that as a last resort.
Fack I had problems with that nut on the Hard line too, I just decided to take it in to get done plus I hate doing brakes anyway. Good luck to you though I would swear that nut is made out of lead it rounds so easily.

fpkites
03-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Project brake lines is officially postponed - we had 70s and sun yesterday, now it's snowing like a motherfucker. Colorado baby, oh yeah! :rofl:

slim616
03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I had the same problem with my brake lines. It took two weeks of soaking with wd/40 before it broke loose with the 3/8 wrench. After the first week I was able to get the caliber off by spinning the whole caliber and hose line. Then the second week was just to get the fitting to brake loose from the metal line/flare. The key with them is take your time and keep spraying it.

jsteves
03-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I used an old pair of vice grips that had the teeth worn smooth...I know, I know. But hey it worked and for once I didn't fuck up the bolt.

The track bar conversion go on smooth?

fpkites
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Track bar conversion went on smooth as butter - At first I was worried about the bolt plate on the fender side, but just took it slow, and if I was going to be letting it sit for more than a few seconds, I put a nut on one of the studs for insurance. I would say 30 minutes of wrenching, tops - took us about an hour and a half, but had to have beer breaks :D

Derek33
03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Track bar conversion went on smooth as butter - At first I was worried about the bolt plate on the fender side, but just took it slow, and if I was going to be letting it sit for more than a few seconds, I put a nut on one of the studs for insurance. I would say 30 minutes of wrenching, tops - took us about an hour and a half, but had to have beer breaks :D

i was worried about the bolts as well which took the longest out of the entire project. i was told those bracket bolts are easily lost into the unibody and a pain to get back. then i took off that plastic shield over the steering assembly under the hood (one bolt) and found the plate right there. very easy to get to.

fpkites
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd definitely have to say that was one of the easiest "major" mods (I call it major because it basically re-engineers the component) I've done yet. A standard combo wrench held the axle side nut just fine when I was tightening that bolt as well. No screwdriver needed.

Now if something as simple as fucking brake lines would just go well for me, I'd be happy :rofl:

Derek33
03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
i agree. my friend and i were shocked how well everything fit together and went onto the jeep. actually, probably my first mod that didnt include one or more trips to the hardware store.

im not sure if its the same for you. but the bolt that holds the track bar into the bracket, my bolt doesnt stick out beyond the nut on the back end.

fpkites
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I'll have to take a look at mine - I'd definitely need to be a bit more liberal with the Loctite if that's the case. I'll check it out tomorrow...need to re-torque everything anyway.

fpkites
03-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Stock brake lines are now sitting dejectedly in the corner. Gave them some more heat yesterday, and held the hard line while turning the soft line. Apparently that was enough to free it up. Both lines are on, just need to bleed the system. On the hunt for Speed Bleeders locally - I'll try Napa first.

fpkites
04-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Teraflex FlexArms (upper and lower) are now installed. Front right was a whore, front left was easier, rears were fuckin' cake.

Aussie is installed too - other than the pinion/side gear shaft retaining bolt/pin being sheared, went well. Colorado 5.9 had a spare bolt and brought it by the shop and helped decipher the install instructions. On the way home, I stopped at the grocery store, gassed it turning tight into a parking spot and scared the living shit outta the cart shagger :rofl:

fpkites
04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow...just, wow. I'm amazed at the improvement in handling and ride after doing those control arms. I was thinking the wandering was a CA issue, and now I know I was wrong. Having good strong bushings and joints down there cleans up the steering 150%. Well, that and the KOR TB conversion :D

I'm just about to the point where the Aussie is transparent. Not tuning in to the clicking so much any more, and I'm learning the right time to gas it coming out of a turn. I was amazed yesterday when it was still partially locked and I had to get into traffic from an off-ramp. Gave it a little gas, and it just shot forward. Amazing what kind of dry-road traction you get when both wheels are working together.

MotoX5874
04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
what version of the lp-1 sliders do you have, or recommend getting?

fpkites
04-14-2008, 01:00 AM
They're KOR LP-1, and I would recommend nothing different. I've had them for 2 or so years, and they're still just as strong as they were the day I got them. I've come down hard enough on those suckers to rattle fillings, and I've only put the slightest dimple in the passenger side. I'm the only one that knows it's there...nobody else can find it.

For me, it's Kevin's when it comes to protection, nothing else.

MotoX5874
04-14-2008, 01:24 AM
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_sliderz_orderinfo.html

i shoulda been more specific, should i splurge and get the extreme duty? and would you recommend square or round rails

ZachJ
04-14-2008, 02:23 AM
I would go for the square outer rail, easier to hi-lift. Get the extreme duty if you feel its necessary, I have the heavy duty and they have held up to the abuse i have put them on.

zj95
04-14-2008, 02:38 AM
I have the round rail... I love em..

AS for the build...

We need pics...

I remember the first day after getting locked (Well limited rear and tru-trac front) I was leaving school, and I gassed it goin around a corner and got it pitched sideways in 4wd (still had the 249) and drifted around the corner with all 4 spinning...

lol.. scared the crap outta me.. but after getting use to it I loved it. Made it so much more fun to drive, and now that I have 2wd and spooled rear I love it that much more.

fpkites
04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Sorry, didn't fully understand your question...square bar, and I use the hell out of them

old pic here :D

http://fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/Sliderz/bolt-on/Picture%20035.jpg

fpkites
05-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Big Red now has an Addco front swaybar.

Had to remove my KOR steering brace though, issues from the first install coming back to haunt me :(

With any luck, the brace will be able to go back on, just have to modify it a bit, I think.

Derek33
05-08-2008, 12:34 AM
ill get pics of my modification sometime tomorrow.

fpkites
05-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Did you have width issues too D?

Derek33
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
i didnt have width issues, i just couldnt mount the brace over the addcos sway bar bracket since the edges are flared.

Derek33
05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/DMN0166/DSC00582.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/DMN0166/DSC00584.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/DMN0166/kormount.jpg

not sure if you had the same problem, but that was my solution.

fpkites
05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Ahh...so you actually sandwiched everything underneath the Addco bracket.

My bracket doesn't have that lip that yours does. I think they pulled their heads outta their asses and are doing a flat edge mount now.

TheOtherSide
05-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I like those Kumho tires... look very nice. How do they work for you? A friend may be in the market for some 32's...

fpkites
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
They've been great tires. Spit out mud like a loogie, grab on rocks like nothing else. I actually had people at GSW last year asking me if I was locked. They actually did pretty good in the snow this last year, maybe a bit too grabby.

Stupid quiet for a mud tire too. I really like them. Price point is pretty close to BFG MTs, just a smidge cheaper.

fpkites
06-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Steering brace issue was resolved a couple weeks before GSW. There was an assembly snafu, and Kevin made good as always.

4.56 gears went in the axles today. That was a loooong fawkin' day. Got to the gear guy's place at 9, started dropping the 44a. As soon as we got it dropped, he started on the gear job. Pulled the 30 while he was working on that, then mounted up the 44a while he was doing the 30.

All in all, about 9 hours with some time watching him do gears. Hardest part is always the reinstallation.

Interesting thing though, is I now have a semi-rare LP30. No crush sleeve. The pinion shaft was too large for the crush sleeves to fit, and Terry had seen it once or twice before. After some messing around with shim combos, he got it running pretty.

fpkites
06-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow...Aussie really lets you know it's there when you have el-cheapo 90w gear oil in the rear diff. Loudest ratcheting I've heard yet.

Only another 475 miles or so with the cheap shit back there. Full syn 75-140 going in after the gears are broken in well.

BigDaveZJ
06-15-2008, 02:38 PM
No pics no gears. :flipoff2:

fpkites
06-15-2008, 03:28 PM
This'll have to do for now - my camera was in the Heep, but I was busting ass pretty much all day to get those fawkers out and back in, so didn't even think to snap any pics. Matt (93ZeeJay) snapped a couple when he stopped by for a few.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/clninja/axleinstall008.jpg

Terry said he documents most of his gear jobs, so may have some pics of diff guts up eventually.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I can document it for you:

9:00am: Axle showed up late and dirty. Customer had rudely brought in a "used" axle.

10:00am: Diff cover removed, gear oil stinky. Again why did the customer bring me a stinky axle?

11:00: Carrier removed and new gears swapped onto it and swapped pinion.

12:00: Gear pattern fixed after swapping shims many times. Ended up using what ever the original shim combination was.

1:00pm: Working on the fucking D44a. What a fucking PITA axle to work on with its freaking aluminum housing. When I use the damn case spreader on it, it creeks and groans. I am pretty sure I have a crack down the housing now. No way I'll tell the customer though.

2:00pm: Still working on the fucking 44a. Asshole brought in a c-clipped axle. I mean really, C-clips!?!?

3:00pm: Got one of the c-clips removed. By removed I mean I found the grinder and cut the fucker off.

4:00pm: I sourced a new axle shaft. Yeah when I removed the c-clip with a grinder I cut all the way through the axle shaft. Opps.

5:00pm: Carrier out and gears swapped. Just going to assume the shims stay the same since they stayed the same on the front. Checking the gear pattern is for pussies.

6:00pm: Bolted up axle and sent customer on their way.

7:00pm: Called up customer, left message, and reminded them that I didn't install diff fluid. Also told them warranty ended as soon as they left the parking lot.

11:05pm: Customer called back saying their rear end siezed up on the highway and wants to come in for warranty work. I laughed and told them to check their messages.

8:00am the next day: Just got served court papers. Guess I am getting sued. Doh!

fpkites
06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, pretty close...44FuckingA was first though :D

Add an Aussie locker to the "fucking c-clips" and you've got it pretty much spot-on :rofl:

And Pat was my gear oil bitch :D

ajmorell
06-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Damn Jim 4.56s on only 32s with the v8? Didn't you lose a ton of top end?

fpkites
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Really don't know yet. Top speed so far has been 50mph, taking it easy on the gears for a little longer.

So far, no ill effects at all. No more gear noises or vibes, and throttle response is much better. I can tell the tranny isn't laboring as much to turn the tires. I haven't laid into it, but conservative acceleration is much more comfortable.

nierace
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Very nice Jimbo - now where are your LA's ?

ajmorell
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm just curious how it will be on the highway. I'm assuming you are planning on going bigger 4.56s made the most sense.

fpkites
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Very nice Jimbo - now where are your LA's ?

Still waiting for that check from you Nicky - the last one bounced so hard it almost took my eye out :finga:

Edit: Andy - another couple days and I'll hit the freeway. Need to get some more easy miles on the gears.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I ran 4.56's with 32's for a few days and yeah, RPM's are high on the highway. But that is actually a really good thing. It'll force Jim into 33's+ sooner then later.

fpkites
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
The man speaks the truth :rofl:

BigDaveZJ
06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
It'll force Jim into 33's+ sooner then later.

I was already working on convincing Bridget when were on Cliffhanger. Jim was getting hung up on an obstacle, and she asked us why we didn't have any problems with it, I told her that's why Jim needs bigger tires!

fpkites
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Well...what are friends for? :D

tywilson88
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
must be nice to ba able to work outside. it is 107 here

fpkites
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
It wasn't exactly nice and comfy - 90 degrees on Saturday.

fpkites
11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow...been a while since I posted in my build thread.

My 249 had a bearing failure on Hell's Revenge back at the fall MC trip. Made it all the way through the trail, got into the parking lot, and couldn't get out of low range. Loaded it up on Stan's trailer and brought it back to the hotel to drop the case to figure out wtf was wrong. Ended up bringing it to Moab 4x4 Outpost on the south side of town, and they replaced the cap bearing that rides on the input shaft. Got the case mounted back up, couldn't put the rear shaft in. Trained monkey at 4x4 Outpost had put the speedo sleeve gear in backwards. Pulled the tailcone, flipped the gear, and all was good. Only lost 1 day of wheeling that weekend.

Fast forward to today, I've had to add nearly 2 quarts of ATF in the past few weeks. No clue where it's going.

Fuggit. Picked up a 242 today for $150, swapping in the next couple weeks.

fpkites
11-29-2008, 08:01 PM
242 is now in, not completely done though. I have the 249 shift gate in there, so I have 4-fulltime, neutral and 4-low. I road tested it with 4 fulltime, and it was glorious. The Aussie is 100% invisible...doesn't even click on turns.

fpkites
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
242 swap is now totally complete. For some goofy reason, the guy I bought my 242 from had the 249 shift tab/lever on it, so I didn't have the full range. 2 minutes swapping the tab with a new one from the dealer, less than a minute adjusting the linkage, and whammo - got all ranges on the 242 in-cab. VIC reads a little goofy, but all I have to do is chase the plug behind it when I get the motivation, and I've got a bezel coming to me so I can fill the gaping hole my 249 bezel left behind :D

nierace
12-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Cool beans...You will enjoy the 242 way more than that 249 :)

fpkites
12-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Tonight was the first time in over 4 years that I've driven in true 2WD (not since my 96 XJ)...it was a weird feeling. Also reminded me that the Aussie was there :D

nierace
12-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Put it in Full-Time and you'll forget you have one :)

fpkites
12-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Yup, I was stuck in fulltime this week while I was waiting for the stealership to get my 242 shift tab in (tard that I bought the case from had a 249 tab on it for some stupid reason). I was amazed - not even a click.

ZJones
01-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Hey Jim I was reading about the 242 swap and was wondering how difficult it was to do the swap? I need to do his asap cause the shit bird 249 is an epic fail. How long did it take you and was it similar to the swap in the FAQ's on JF?

fpkites
01-09-2009, 02:21 AM
The job can be done in 3-4 hours with air tools and a helper. Drop the driveshafts, drain the case, 6 nuts hold the TC to the transmission. If you have the KOR TC skid and crossmember, I'd drop that - that's another 9 bolts (tranny mount monster bolt, 4 at the frame rails, 4 at the tranmission - the ones on the transmisson aren't mandatory, but it helps when you're going after the bottom nuts on the TC)

The helper comes in handy when you're dropping the TC if you don't have a tranny jack/adapter. It's not horribly heavy, but it's not light either.

Slide it rearward and drop it, then pop the new one on. Installation is reverse of removal.

I shopped for a while to find the easiest TC to put in. Since I had dropped the TC in Moab for a fix, I knew which input I needed, so that was what I shopped for. Didn't want to crack the case, and I succeeded.

I did end up with the long shift tab on my donor case, and had to go to the dealer for the short one. If I remember correctly, it was right around $12.

*Edit: Support the transmission with a jack if you're dropping the crossmember

ZJones
01-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Alright doesn't sound to bad. Now just to find the correct 242.

fpkites
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Big Red now has 33" Kumhos!

TheOtherSide
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Those look pretty beef.... nice!

ajmorell
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Ruh-Roh, look out for Jim ladies and gentlemen

fpkites
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/KumhoApril2009/Image%20007%20[1024x768].jpg

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/KumhoApril2009/Image%20008%20[1024x768].jpg

How's that for LCA length? I can barely fit a finger between the front of the fender and the tire

http://www.fp-kites.com/images/Jeep/KumhoApril2009/Image%20009%20[1024x768].jpg

ArloGuthroJeep
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I can help you trim your right rear fender...I haven't done the left yet so I am no help there:D

fpkites
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't care who you are, dat's funnay :rofl:

AgitatedPancake
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
LOL Ryan you really need to get around to that...Hell even I got my rear left done like a week or two ago! (The right's been done for months haha)

ArloGuthroJeep
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
House is under contract...the sooner it sells the sooner I have a ton more cash per month to invest in my Jeep. Gotta keep the Jeep looking purdy, meaning it gets a paint job after the trim:)

fpkites
06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Flame on....the rear of Big Red is now at 5" of lift, keeping the front at 4". I've got the Tera 3-3.5" coils front and rear, and I pulled the 1.25" Tera pucks from the back to replace them with my "whatever brand" (maybe KOR, maybe something else...dunno) 2.125" pucks, essentially raising it up to 5". I found that having my tools and trail kit back there dropped the rear more than I liked.

I'm still trying to stay as low as I can to clear the tires though, low COG FTW.

I guess I'll see if it's too raked when I have the cargo area empty, but I highly doubt it.

I also got a Claytons gift certificate at GSW, so should be on LAs before April of next year, depending on job situation...woot! I showed the wifey the GC, then dropped the bomb of what it'd cost, and she didn't go totally postal, so I consider that a win :D

ZJones
06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice! If anyone deserves Clayton's you do. I don't know if I like the raked idea though.

fpkites
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I wasn't sure if I'd like the raked idea either. We'll see what it looks like when I'm not loaded down though. My tools and trail kit have been there since well before I went to GSW...that's easily 200 lbs or more of shit just riding there, plus a full tank of gas.

Luckily it's only an inch...not like I'm going coils only in the front and 2" spacers in the rear. Just leveling it out when gear is back there...that'd look goofy IMO.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I showed the wifey the GC, then dropped the bomb of what it'd cost, and she didn't go totally postal, so I consider that a win :D

She's a keeper. Mainly because she has the ability to put up with your goofy ass. (But also b/c she supports your jeep addiction). :flipoff2:

fpkites
06-27-2009, 06:32 PM
It helped that I made her my official Fins and Things driver, I think :D

Also helped when Putz had to pull my ass out of a crappy spot on Cliffhanger last year and she asked Dave why nobody else was having problems there...why do you think I'm on 33s? :rofl:

UTChavok
06-27-2009, 11:51 PM
She's a keeper. Mainly because she has the ability to put up with your goofy ass. (But also b/c she supports your jeep addiction). :flipoff2:

Thats the problem Ive found, Im in no way looking for a serious relationship but almost all the girls here are like why do you spend so much time and money on a car?:overkill:

Jim your rig will be pretty kickass with some LAs.

fpkites
02-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow...over 6 months since I've even looked at this.

Tow rig!!!

2001 F-250 Crew Cab
Intake and Exhaust are already done

paulkeith
02-02-2010, 01:08 AM
DP tuner chip all the way. nice truck, love the color! i want a crew cab so bad.

BigDaveZJ
02-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Is that the one from Formby you sent me the link to? If the intake is K&N, ditch it asap. The K&N filters let a bit too much through and that's not good for your turbo.

fpkites
02-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Gauges first - tuner will probably be a while.

fpkites
02-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Is that the one from Formby you sent me the link to? If the intake is K&N, ditch it asap. The K&N filters let a bit too much through and that's not good for your turbo.

Nope, AFE

wannabe_offroad
02-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Nice dude!! Congrats!! I'm now extremely jealous. When are the long arms going on now? No excuses anymore....you now have a DD :D

fpkites
02-02-2010, 02:32 AM
I intend to have my Claytons before my coupon expires. I kind of doubt I'll have them on for GSW though. Too much other stuff to do.

BigDaveZJ
02-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Wimp. Clayton shipped my stuff out like 3 weeks before GSW and I still had to drive my rig out there and I got it all done.

:flipoff2:

fpkites
02-02-2010, 02:36 AM
We'll see what the tax man bringeth :D

ArloGuthroJeep
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Dude you got a tow rig? Awesome!

fpkites
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Holy crap...pulled an Oasis report at the Ford dealership down the road.

My rig got a new transmission in 2008! Score!

tweak177
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
nice ZJ man. going to be putting the lift on mine soon, what backspacing were you running when you had the 32's on it?

fpkites
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Same as now - 4"

I got my rims from Summit. Plain-Jane 15x8" Cragar Soft-8s. I'm too cheap to buy center caps...besides, they'll just get crushed :D

I didn't need to put washers in the steering stops at all for the 32s, and not for the 33s either.

tweak177
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
thank you thank you thank you, ive been searching so long tring to find that answer and no one has answered me. ordering them bad boys tonight!

fpkites
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Glad I could help!

Eat shit, welcome to MallCrawlin

tweak177
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
thanks!

dp96zj
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey Jim, how are the Kumho's going for ya? I'm thinking of getting some in the 33" flavor. Do you put many DD miles on them/how are they wearing?

I ask this because I'll probably be getting some new shoes soon. I bought my BFG A/T's less than two years ago, put only 9k on them, and they're in need of replacement in just few months. WTF! :smt093:smt093

fpkites
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Still the best tires I've had yet - I got 30k+ miles out of the 32s, and still was able to get a couple hundred bucks out of them, the guy I sold them to got another 10k miles at least (he drove from Cheyenne WY to Denver fairly often), then he got $100 selling them I think.

My 33s have substantially less miles than my 32s did since my commute went from 14 miles a day to nothing (bus pass through work). I probably have 5-7k miles on the 33s.

I did cut a sidewall in Moab last October, but it was a relatively minor cut, and Discount honored their certificate on the tire. I think any tire would have cut in the spot that I hit. One of those fluke sharp spots in the rock, and hit it hard and fast.

I would definitely count on the Kumhos for more than 9k miles. My toe was shit when I had the 32s, and they cupped pretty good. Still had plenty of meat on them when I sold them though.

When I bought these 33s, I was waffling between the KL71s and the BFG KM2s. The KM2 is a great tire, and I've seen it perform incredibly. My decision came down to past experience, and the Kumho won the decision.

fpkites
04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
200 pounds of steel lands on Thursday. 3 guesses as to where it's coming from, and the first 2 don't count :D

Kauzi Zj
04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
200 pounds of steel lands on Thursday. 3 guesses as to where it's coming from, and the first 2 don't count :D

KOR

fpkites
04-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Wrong *OR :rofl:

nierace
05-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Looking good Jimbo :)

fpkites
05-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks Nickster - good to hear from you brudda

Stealth Crawler ZJ
05-15-2010, 05:53 PM
so how is the LA install going? :smt064

fpkites
05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Ummm...it's not :D

I'll have to wait until after GSW I think :(

fpkites
07-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Interesting turn of events.

Most folks saw that I tacoed a lower control arm bracket on Cliffhanger in Moab. No big deal, it breaks, it needs to be upgraded, right? :D

But.......The steel sleeve in the axle side bushing on my Teraflex shortarms is about 1/8" too wide. Can't get the fugger in there, and I'm not about to try to bend 1/4" steel.

I'm kinda thinking this accelerates the install of the front half of my Claytons - can it be bolted on and BE SAFE to transport it to a welder? The welds on the crossmember are just for extra strength, right?

MoonWorks
07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
No Jim...I wouldn't even begin to think it'd be safe to drive. Especially of any length of time and/or distance. You'd be relying upon two bolts on each side of the crossmember that are usually designed to just support the trans and crossmember to do that and the leverage that your new LCA's are going to apply on them. So no...I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I have some pics I can post or send to you if you'd like showing this...

zj95maxx
07-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I had mine just bolted for a while.

You will be fine.

Take it slow and dont get too bumpy but honestly, nothing will happen.

MoonWorks
07-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I had mine just bolted for a while.

You will be fine.

Take it slow and dont get too bumpy but honestly, nothing will happen.

Horrible idea but...

Like Dave mentioned in your other thread...it'd be fine to move around a little and get on/off a trailer but there's no way I'd trust it on the road.

fpkites
07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks Matt - you helped confirm what I suspected.

If the Clayton ends fit in the brackets, the front half will be bolted on this week and taken to a welder as soon as possible.

99boggertj
07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I just responded on your other post.

Just to clarify what I said.

You CAN install the cross member and drive and get it welded in, as long as you do NOT install the arms.

You NEVER want to bolt up the cross member, install the long arms and drive it without welding the cross member in.

The bolts are more for alignment purposes. It can hold up the weight of the drivetrain, but never drive with the long arms hooked up without the cross member being welded in.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.

fpkites
07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
As I said in my other post, thank you so much for chiming in Adam. Just goes to show the service and support we get from our vendors.

I'll be digging through the garage looking for my old stock control arms. Yeah, the ride will suck getting to the welder, but at least I don't have to fawk with the trailer just for a 12 mile each way run.

Hmm...my 33s aren't gonna fit for shit with stock lowers. Good thing I didn't sell my 31s! Think I'm raked forward with 5" rear lift and 4" front lift? Now I'll be like a muscle car! :D

jborushko
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
.... Think I'm raked forward with 5" rear lift and 4" front lift? Now I'll be like a muscle car! :D

raked stance isn't all bad, just think off when you load the back in with a bunch of your over-packing-buddies-camping-gear-because-he-camps-like-my-grandmother-and-needs-duplicate-of-every-battery-operated-pos-that-you-can-buy-at-walmart-because-he-doesn't-know-how-to-camp...

the ass end of your rig wont be dragging on the on the ground when your loaded up. but then personally i hate a 'leveled' truck simply because it looks gay when the butt end is lower then the front because its loaded

but your rocking raked because of tires sizes... that is muscle car! rock on man! ---just dont pop it into 4x4! lol

fpkites
07-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Yuppers!

Some people have given me shit about having more lift in the back than in the front, then I tell them to put 250+ pounds of gear, recovery equipment and spares in the back and see what their Jeep looks like...for some reason, they suddenly shut the hell up. No clue why :rofl:

242 FTW :D

fpkites
07-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmmm...this is turning out to be more of a challenge than I expected.

Teraflex arms are a no go without machining the sleeves, and I don't have a bench grinder. So, I was going to attempt to use stock lower arms just to make it roll. Rear lowers are longer than front lowers, so I grabbed them out of the spares pile. Not enough rotational travel at the axle side.

I'm thinking bolt up the crossmember, prep it for welding, and have a mobile guy come out. I found a listing for $55 an hour, just need to find out if they're unibody capable.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-10-2010, 05:23 PM
"rotational travel" wtf you smoking Jim?:flipoff2:

You mean you can't rotate the axle back far enough to reach the control arms? Take out the springs so nothing is forcing it flat...you may end up with some bowed springs for a little bit...

fpkites
07-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Correct - I can't rotate the axle far enough back to engage the upper CAs.

This is without springs. Forcing it flat would actually be a good thing :D

Sudz
07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Correct - I can't rotate the axle far enough back to engage the upper CAs.
why not?

fpkites
07-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Top of the arm hits the bracket.

ArloGuthroJeep
07-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Well what is preventing it from rotating? Sounds like you need some of that energy drink:D

fpkites
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Rotation toward the rear is stopped by the arm hitting the top of the mount/shock tower. I think I have an idea though. Might be able to get everything but the uppers put together, then put the tires on and let the weight of the front end help with the rest.

it usually runs fine
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
you need to jack the body of the vehicle up higher. and i put my tires on my axle made it a lil easier. with height guestiments.

fpkites
07-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I have the lowers connected, so I'll get the shocks pretty much in the perches and get the tires on. Should let me maneuver a little better.

Tomorrow's another day :D

K2
05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (all Teraflex)

Is this still accurate? GSW is only a month away.

fpkites
05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Well...now it's part Claytons :D

Hoping to finish that up this weekend. Clayton skid gets here tomorrow.

My right rear wheel is goobered as shit with gear oil. Guess what I thought was pinion bearing going out was actually wheel bearing and seal. Score! Much cheaper to do a wheel bearing than a full bearing/seal job!

fpkites
05-10-2011, 08:06 PM
The man in brown showed up! Woot! Om nom nom...

Hope to have the rear all buttoned up by this weekend, the skid will be drilled and tapped, ready for the support bar to be welded to the stiffeners before then.

dp96zj
05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Sweet! Just in time for GSW :cool:

fpkites
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Yuppers!

Kauzi Zj
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Are you done yet?

fpkites
05-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Is it Sunday yet???

:flipoff2:

fpkites
05-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Claytons were done on Sunday - now to decide what to do with the exhaust.

I got a Flowmaster 50 from Scott, but I'm wondering if I should just run pipe from the cat all the way back. It's not a DD, so noise wouldn't be an issue. The cat is pretty much resting on the crossmember for the Clayton skid, so might have to do something about that. In-cab vibes aren't bad at all though.

A HUGE thanks to Colorado 5.9 (Scott) and JPRanger (Corey) for helping with the wrenching and welding last weekend. I'm glad to have the kit put in. Claytons make all the difference in drivability. I wish I could have gotten them done sooner!

1ABrian
05-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Got any pics of the Clays installed?

fpkites
05-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Not yet. It's been shitty and rainy the past couple days.

fpkites
07-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Nice and flexy on Twin Cone last Sunday. Claytons are freaking awesome!

I think I'd still like to move the rear axle another inch back. I rub a bit when I stuff the rear. Front trackbar can use some tweaking too.

Jeeptech01
07-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I rub a bit when I get stuffed in the rear.

:smt105

biggoofy
07-17-2011, 11:18 AM
rofl +rep

Kauzi Zj
07-20-2011, 01:02 AM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/styles/blackstealth/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by fpkites http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/styles/blackstealth/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=320893#post320893)
I rub a bit when I get stuffed in the rear.

:smt105

+Rep as soon as I can!

fpkites
07-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Ouch, baby, very ouch :rofl:

fpkites
05-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Oops. 2 years since I updated this. Good thing nothing huge has been done since the Claytons.

Broke an ear off my steering box at GSW 2012, so I was rocking K2's spare waggy box for a while. Got a reman from Advance and drilled the 4th hole, so that's good.

Got my rock lights in today, just mocked up wired to the battery, not the switch. I should have stuck the front LED strip facing further back. Got a bit of a dead spot :(

Still effective though. Not sure what I'll do with the back.

Put an extra bit of LED strip on the bottom of the hood for engine compartment lighting to replace what I blew up with the hose a few years back.

fluxcap
05-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Me likes the lights. With the number of times I've been stuck on the trail after dark, I really need to address lighting at some point.

Very nice in deed!

Word on the bumper?

BigDaveZJ
05-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I've got a little bit of my LED's left, might do the underhood light too. I thought about it, but didn't want to take the time to wire it up. The 300 LED strip looks sufficiently bright too.

fpkites
05-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I was disappointed to find out that the switch for the OEM underhood light must be in the socket (which I cut off to tie in the LEDs). For now, I have a well-taped craptastic switch that I had laying around installed, but eventually I'll throw in a push button that turns it off when the hood is closed.

I put in a couple small ~6" lengths facing inward behind the skid plate today, but I won't be able to see if they're effective until nightfall.

I stared at the rear trying to think of a way to light it with my current rear bumper situation, and I'm drawing a blank. That's going to have to wait until the KOR back bumper is in.

The wife and I are still stewing over the front bumper. I have a feeling I'll be grabbing it though, especially since the seller is coming to GSW :)

fpkites
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I've got a little bit of my LED's left, might do the underhood light too. I thought about it, but didn't want to take the time to wire it up. The 300 LED strip looks sufficiently bright too.

I was pleasantly surprised how bright the 300 LED strip was. The 3M adhesive is nice and strong.

With as bright as mine are, I'm wondering if the 600 would be too much. Not sure though. I'll have to compare mine to yours.

I have a fair amount left, but I'll likely use it to light up the tail end after the new bumper goes on.

The first few lengths were a pain in the ass to solder, but they got easier as time went on.

Jeep Whore
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
was your 300 strip the 5050 smd or the 3528 smd?

heres a about total of 20" of the 600 3528smd,
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af82/bigfoot4300/IMG_20130506_214853_zpseab97d24.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/bigfoot4300/media/IMG_20130506_214853_zpseab97d24.jpg.html)

fpkites
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
5050 SMD.

It's possible that it either doesn't like heat, or the spot I have it stuck to on the hood hits the upper radiator support. I flipped it on tonight, and I have a dead spot. Hmm...

Jeep Whore
05-12-2013, 11:09 PM
I'll have to compare mine to yours.

if Dave has the same strip i do i would be interested in seeing a picture of the difference next to each other

5050 SMD.

It's possible that it either doesn't like heat, or the spot I have it stuck to on the hood hits the upper radiator support. I flipped it on tonight, and I have a dead spot. Hmm...

the same dead spot from your first set of pics? or ones you did inwards behind the skid plate?

fpkites
05-13-2013, 07:35 PM
The dead spot you see is actually to the driver side of the end of the strip. The piece I had didn't go all the way across.

Once the hood/strip cooled down, the dead spot went away. Looks like ambient heat from the upper radiator support was hot enough to piss it off.

The rear short lengths helped quite a bit. I have good light directed at the diff and a little bit of ambient reaching to the back bumper area.