PDA

View Full Version : cutting torch

canadian_driver
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm sick of going through saws-all blades or cut off wheels, what do you use for cutting with fire?

CurtP
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Method of preference: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_125c

DCHZJ
05-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I just use a Port-A-Torch. Small light, i do not have enough room in my garage for a full kit.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Victor is the only name you need in oxy-acy cutting. Check craigslist and ebay, my roommate found a complete torch set with tanks, regulators, torch, even a trick little cart, for $300. I typically prefer the plasma to torches but once I saw this thing cut through some 1/2" plate I was sold. Definatley a good purchase.

OverkillZJ
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I agree, I had a piece of crap, I have a Victor now and will never look back. It's just SOLID. It cuts through half inch plate without issue at all, very cool.

redzj
05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I have 2 victors and a smith. I prefer the smith torches. When I Used to fabricate for a living the shop had smith and I liked them much better. The thickness of the metal a torch can cut is dependent on the tip not the torch. Oh and the smiths are CHROME!!! ;)

canadian_driver
05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
yeah i was looking at the victor website and it says with the proper tip the torch can cut up to 8 INCHES!!!

Tommy
05-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Victor is the only name you need in oxy-acy cutting. Check craigslist and ebay, my roommate found a complete torch set with tanks, regulators, torch, even a trick little cart, for $300. I typically prefer the plasma to torches but once I saw this thing cut through some 1/2" plate I was sold. Definatley a good purchase.

I second the plasma here... That is probably one of the best most useful tools I have bought so far. Makes things so easy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/40Amp-Plasma-Cutter-220Volt-ParkerMP-QUALITY-ASSURED_W0QQitemZ140114346517QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11 3743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rated Cut: 5/8", Sever Cut: 3/4" (Rated Cut: 11/16" Turbo Modification)

That is some thick shit...

For the price it is a great Machine. There is a write up on pirate. It has done well for me right out of the box...

ILikeMud
05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure what brand my torch is but it works damn good.

I'd love to have a plasma cutter but it's out of my price range for now.s\

CANADIAN ZJ!
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
plasma is an impressive machine. one of those bad boys will pay for itself in time saved very quickly. For any fabricator plasma is my 2nd most important tool...1st of course the welder :supz:

canadian_driver
05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
id love to get a plasma, but i dont know if my compressor is big enough for one and ive never used one b4, but that ebay auction is tempting, ive got a new job that pays well and i dont see why not, will my little 8gallon CH compressor be able to handle it?

Mtn WJ
05-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I have 2 victors and a smith. I prefer the smith torches. When I Used to fabricate for a living the shop had smith and I liked them much better. The thickness of the metal a torch can cut is dependent on the tip not the torch. Oh and the smiths are CHROME!!! ;)

I agree I think Smiths are better but either will do. As for me compared to a Plasma torches are a better more versatile value. You can cut more with less effort using a Plasma but for a home shop with limited cutting a torch will be more useful. You can make patterns for cutting with a torch as with a plasma and using the correct tips will give you fairly smooth cuts that can be ground down clean. Everyone loves a Plasma as do I but to get a decent one you are close to 1k or more and a torch can be had for much less. JMHO

Krash80
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Regardless of what brand of torches you get, get the biggest cutting tip you can...the bigger the tip, the thicker the steel you can cut. Get a smaller tip for thin steel and sheet metal, and get a tip for gas welding.