PDA

View Full Version : Media Blasters

Z
05-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap media blaster and media type for stripping paint off prior to re-paint? I have 2 bumpers and possibly a fender to repaint. In the past I've used abraisive discs with an angle grinder, but that tends to gouge the metal (especially on round tubing) and I'm looking for a better way to strip the paint. Any rust I encounter can be fixed with a grinder, so I don't need media that can eat rust.

Also, can I re-use the media if I put down (thick) plastic tarp to collect?

I already know I need to get a very good moisture filter.

JpRngr
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
After using a sand blaster from Sears on a skid plate a couple years ago, I'd suggest taking it somewhere. You need a LOT of air and it goes VERY slowly. It also makes a HUGE mess everywhere. I plan on taking my Chevelle frame to Blast-Tech(I think that's the name) which is by Santa Fe and Oxford.

Corey

DCHZJ
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Take it somewhere. IT is work the charge. Putting a tarp down will help contain the sand, glass bead or what ever you use, but expect it to get everywhere. also unless you are wearing a complete suite, with something to cover your hair, face, ears, etc, you will end up with sand or the glass bead type somewhere. I have done sand and glass beads in the past, now i will take my stuff somewhere.
Also most of the times you cannot reuse the media as it will be full of paint and dirt.

You could try a grinder with a Knot Wire Cup Brush on the metal parts. I would not do this on plastic parts, it will take longer but it works (i stripped a bumper this way took a long time)

sah81
07-08-2007, 12:37 AM
You might try some paint stripper. I picked up a couple spray cans from Kragen for about $4 each and the stuff works pretty good. It may not take every little bit off, but it could save you a good bit of time sanding. Just be sure you put something down to collect the mess when you wipe it off.

Colorado 5.9
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Tom, try a search on co4x4. I remember a few threads about this & people recomending a few places in Den.

rho95zj
07-26-2007, 05:38 AM
If your near the Fort Collins area i can help you out. My dad is the GM of LaFarge and i can use there shop to sand blast and have them weld for me (I'm just starting to learn). So i could probably fit the fender in the cabinet, not the bumpers though. But it'd save you some time.

SOLITUDE
07-26-2007, 02:43 PM
How much on average would it cost for me to get a 44 and 9" blasted?

nate
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
My brother did an Early Bronco frame last weekend at my parent's..

My Dad's compressor is a 2 cylinder 60 gallon unit.... somewhere around 16cfm or so. My brother was saying it took him a long time to blast the whole thing because he could blast about a min, and then wait a few mins for the compressor to build enough pressure.