PDA

View Full Version : 97 ZJ - wiring up a 7 prong trailer plug

JOE
04-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I wasn't sure exactly which forum to put this in, so please move if need be.

A 97 ZJ.....I need to put a 7 prong trailer plug on it to tow my boat.....I am trying to figure out where to buy what I need, and what do I need exactly?

Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a "kit" out there for this? I haven't been able to find what I am looking for I don't think. The jeep dealer said this has been discontinued.

Thanks,

Joe

PS.....can you tell I've been away from Jeeps for a while with such a newbie type thread???? :)

nate
04-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Must be a LARGE boat trailer for a 7 prong. Is has brakes on it?

spykosshow
04-30-2007, 07:32 PM
What?! Why tow it with the ZJ?! Use the pickup!

JOE
04-30-2007, 09:04 PM
oh, no it's only a 21' boat, tandem axle with disc brakes. It has a 5 prong (the extra wire cuts power to the brakes so you can back up). So, I have a 7 to 5 connector.

I do normally use the truck, but I'm taking the jeep up north to the cabin this year and I might leave the boat up there for a while....so if I ever need to tow it a short distance or just to pull it out of the water then I can just use the jeep.

ZJZJ
05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I have a spare 7-pin chrylser socket in the barn if you want it. It is the same as I have on the back of the dodge. I was going to install it in the bed to use with the gooseneck, but like every other project, I will never get around to doing it...

CurtP
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a "kit" out there for this? I haven't been able to find what I am looking for I don't think. The jeep dealer said this has been discontinued.
There were two OEM harnesses - factory installed and dealer installed. The factory install harness has been discontinued for years. The dealer installed harness was still available as of six months ago - I put one on my '98.

Try here: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=lv25&Category_Code=Hitch+and+Tow+Hooks

daverobb@rewedmonton
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
X2. Use the dealer install harness. It is unplug and plug it in. The electric brake wire is already under the dash or driver's kick plate.

JOE
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
There were two OEM harnesses - factory installed and dealer installed. The factory install harness has been discontinued for years. The dealer installed harness was still available as of six months ago - I put one on my '98.

Try here: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=lv25&Category_Code=Hitch+and+Tow+Hooks

do you need that "black box thing" also, or does it come with the kit.

Brad, I might take you up on that....I'll let you know. Thanks!

CurtP
05-01-2007, 10:09 PM
The OEM dealer installed kit comes with everything you need. It will come with the hitch harness, the intermediate harness (it has 3 relays on it) and the trailer plug (along with stainless steel screws to mount the plug to the hitch). If you get a factory harness somewhere, you will still need the intermediate harness (the factory installed harness has 5 relays). The picture on that website isn't quite accurate on what you get (it's just a stock photo).

BTW, I've ordered from them before and never had an issue. You may want to contact Nick to see if he can get you the harness from him. I can't remember if I got the dealer harness from Nick or jeepsareus. I got the factory harness for my '96 from one of those junkyards that specialize in Jeeps - I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. It came with the interior perimeter harness that I replaced when I installed heated seats and ATC.

You will need to remove the LH rear quarter trim panel (the one behind the spare tire) to get to everything.

JOE
05-02-2007, 07:32 PM
thanks!

ZJZJ
05-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Joe- We could probably pull the wiring harness off the 5.9 if you want it. I pulled the hitch and never plan to use it to tow anything if it ever runs again. I don't know how much work is involved in pulling that wiring though. I don't want to rip out the interior...

CurtP
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I don't know how much work is involved in pulling that wiring though. I don't want to rip out the interior...

Just the one panel behind the spare tire to get to all the connectors. Takes maybe 1/2 - 1 hour to pull apart, remove the harness, then put everything back together.

The intermediate harness is connected right above the wheel well and is probably stuffed in the body cavity. It should have a christmas tree clip holding it to the body - a good tug will remove it. The harness then goes down to an opening behind the wheel well. Get the rectangle plug from JOE's GC to plug the hole that will be left when you remove the harness. Probably the biggest PITA will be getting the clips loose from the bumper support. They have a tendancy to break and are just generally a pain.

You might not even have to remove the entire trim panel. You may be able to pull it back enough to get to the harness connectors.

ZJZJ
05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Sweet. I'll try to look at it tonight. The pos hasn't run in over 3 years. It may as well do someone some good.

JOE
05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Brad, you don't have to pull that all apart!!!!! But......you do need to meet me at the Bloated Goat one of these nights for a few beers!!!!!

Joe

ZJZJ
05-04-2007, 07:34 AM
We almost drove over to Mister B's for their all you can eat crab legs night on Tuesday. I didn't mess with the wiring last night. I had to dig up an underground downspout drain pipe by the barn. I'm definitely in for a few cold ones.

JOE
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
ahhh cold beer!