PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch

ZJ96
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi, I am new here and am not sure if I posted this in the right section or not, if I didnt let me know.

I recently picked up a used trailer hitch for my 96 ZJ 4.0. It was only $50 for the hitch and wiring so I thought it was a good deal. I have two questions about it though.

One is that the hitch is a little rusty, the usual black paint is flaking off etc. It doesnt seem to be rotted, just surface rust. I plan to sand it down, prime and paint it black again. Is there anything else I should do to it to clean it up?

The second question I have is that it did not come with any of the mounting bolts. I do have the factory skid plate over the gas tank. Can I use those bolts to mount it or are they not long enough/ strong enough?

Any addvice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Ken L
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Sand it or wire wheel it and paint it up. It should be fine.

The bolts that hold the gas tank skid on are what you use to mount it up. Use lots of PB Blaster on them. The 2 closest to the rear of the Jeep are actually studs.

Be prepared to swear.

ZJ96
04-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the quick response. So in total how many bolts should be used to mount it with, and what do you mean by the two in the rear are studs?
Thanks.

jfowlzj95
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response. So in total how many bolts should be used to mount it with, and what do you mean by the two in the rear are studs?
Thanks.

Theres only 2 real bolts, the other 4 are studs. The 4 studs toward the rear (2 on each side) are already attached to the 'frame' and will just need a nut and washer to mount. The 2 holes up front (1 one each side) will use bolts. It helps to have 2 other people who can just hold the hitch up while you can line up all the bolt holes/studs.

ZJ96
04-19-2007, 12:18 AM
ok thanks for the help. sounds pretty easy to do, but then again nothing is as easy as it sounds.

Ken L
04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
That's why I said to be prepared to swear. The studs can be a little ugly to get the nuts off of. PB Blaster and an impact go a long way.

And yeah, there are 2 studs and one bolt per side. I should have specified that in my first reply.

ZJ96
04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Yea, im not expecting the removal part to be that easy. I think I should be able to come up with 2 bolts for the 2 studs that don't already have them on there, and I have an imact gun that I can use.....but PB blaster, what's that? Is it like WD-40?? Can I used WD-40?

CurtP
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
WD-40 is NOT a penetrant and sucks ass. You'll never find that shit in my shop. 3in1 is a better penetrant then that shit. PB Blaster will probably be the best stuff you can get off the shelf, but Kano Kroil is the best penetrant that I've ever used, with Lubrication Engineers 2059 MONOLEX being a close second.

bone11b
04-20-2007, 07:19 PM
WD40 does suck ass, JB-80 is good stuff to. But I agree PB is the best

ZJ96
04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok, I am going to install the hitch this weekend but first I have another quick question....
What order to I put the skid plate/ hitch on?
Is it skid first or hitch first?
Thanks in advance.

jfowlzj95
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I dont think it really matters, but I put the skid up first so it was sandwiched in between the body and hitch.

DCHZJ
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I dont think it really matters, but I put the skid up first so it was sandwiched in between the body and hitch.

It sure does when you go to that that hitch off. Skid first then hitch.....this will save you time in the future.

ZJ96
05-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all the help. I mounted the hitch this weekend and it went pretty well.....however there were 6 bolts instead of 2 bolts and 4 studs like some people said??? Is something wrong with this or are some 96 ZJ's like this???

Ken L
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all. The two nearest the rear of the Jeep on each side are usually studs and are a pain to get off. Glad it went smoothly for you!