PDA

View Full Version : Universal Air Suspension

Tommy
04-09-2007, 03:16 PM
What do you guys think? I want to lower my rig more and run these. They are coming out with a setup for 2.5" CO's. And do some trimming to fit 42" IROKS.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/suspension/131_0605_jeep_wrangler_airbag_coilover_shock/

Air Assisted Coil-Over Bags for your Existing 2" Coilovers

Benifits:
Adjustable Spring rate on the Fly (0-3,000 lbs)
6" of Forced Articulation
Higher Ground Clearance
Prevent Roll-Over
Increased Traction
Increased Handling
Fail-Safe Reliability
Reduce Viberation
Smoother Ride
Adaptable to any 2" Coil-over (must specify)
Designed for any standard 2.5" Coil
Brackets Designed for your coilover!

1/4" NPT Air Port

Please note that this kit does Not come with coilovers.

https://www.universalairsuspension.com/images/COILOVER.gif

Zombie
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
tha idea behind airbags and other adjustable suspensions has always been cool, but the failure factor has made them scary. These aren't any scarier than airbags on a tow rig for load leveling. These would probably even be street legal in Utah since the primary spring is still there.
I like.

OverkillZJ
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I've had my eyes on those for a while...Would really like to do that...

markr
04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
But do they make it for the WJ/ZJ yet?

Tommy
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
But do they make it for the WJ/ZJ yet?

No existing ZJ applications unless you want to go to 2" coilovers. I contacted them and they have yet to make bags for 2.5" CO's yet. I would really like to do this....

Cue-Ball
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Damn those are SWEET!!!

J B
04-10-2007, 06:37 PM
How much $$$ ?

EDIT: Found it. $2600........

chadjans
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Whats the point? Adding failure prone systems confuses me. What do you not like about your current setup? What size tire size are you running now? I would say a properly tuned coil over would out perform a band aided coilover with this airbag setup.

Appears to me that you loose the capability of gooing dual rate. Not a good idea, for you loose the adjustability.

Looks like cheap materials, the sleave that the airbag fits around is some seamed junk.

Hell I am considering going to three coils on mine. Triple rate shocks.

KISS theory rules in this hobby.

PassRunnerZJ
04-13-2007, 11:35 AM
OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I've pondered similar thoughts, but not on coilovers (so far). Here is where my experiance comes from with air suspensions, Subaru XT6 with an air oly suspension that adjusts automatically to the terrain and body attitude (I've replace all four corners at various times in its life and the air compressor).

I see the coil over setup as being overly complex since you would have to valve each corner seperate so that compression on one would NOT inflate the other corners and that has to be built into the adjust on the fly mode. Maybe part of the

Other than in a slow crawl that you have time to say push air to the lower corner, are you really going to have time to manually send air to it if you start to tipover/flop? The only two near flops I have been involved in or with, there wasn't time to do anything extra besides give it gas in one and the rocker caught the other.

Less vibration isn't going to come from the air chamber, but from the mounting method to the body/frame from what I can tell.

You should now run two air compressors to eleminate the single point of failure. (I've had to replace the compressor on my XT6 and my ARB in the Jeep, both weren't trip critical, but...) I do understand that you can run it without air to get off the trail, but then you are limping out.

Cost of a spare bag since you will really want to bring a spare for long trails such as the Spike.

The bags really need to be protected, at least on the wheel side IMHO as a sharp rock can easily be thown into it or if it is logded in the tread lug on the inside edge of the tire. A simple plastic guard could be fabbed up I'm sure.

Maybe they have taken most of these things into mind with the system; and I'm not bashing it or the idea, just thinking outside the sales jargon from real life experiances. I would really like to find a good economical way to get a couple of extra inches--in the suspension--once I get to the trailhead or to compensate for heavy camping equipment without over spring rating the rear when DD'ing it.

Tommy
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Whats the point? Adding failure prone systems confuses me. What do you not like about your current setup? What size tire size are you running now? I would say a properly tuned coil over would out perform a band aided coilover with this airbag setup.

Appears to me that you loose the capability of gooing dual rate. Not a good idea, for you loose the adjustability.

Looks like cheap materials, the sleave that the airbag fits around is some seamed junk.

Hell I am considering going to three coils on mine. Triple rate shocks.

KISS theory rules in this hobby.

Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see how I am loosing a dual rate setup. I will still be able to run a shorter 300lb spring on the bottom and have an adjustable spring rate up top.

I am running 38.5's and want to go to a 42" IROK. I was simply getting your guys thoughts on this setup, and your replies are exactly what i wanted to hear.

As far as the system being failure prone that has yet to be proven. I can't knock their stuff beofre I have seen it fail. Shit, I have used the hell out of my ARB compressor with no problems. I have my own idea's, but I appreciate your guys thoughts and I take them into account. I guess I was looking for something a little different.

Cue-Ball
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I love the IROK's,

I plan to run those on my shit when all is said and done. (knowing someone at Interco also helps).

I say go for it Tommy!!!

chadjans
08-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see how I am loosing a dual rate setup. I will still be able to run a shorter 300lb spring on the bottom and have an adjustable spring rate up top.

As far as the system being failure prone that has yet to be proven. I can't knock their stuff beofre I have seen it fail. Shit, I have used the hell out of my ARB compressor with no problems. I have my own idea's, but I appreciate your guys thoughts and I take them into account. I guess I was looking for something a little different.

There is not enough room to run two springs and slider because the slider will not be on the body of the shock. And most springs for coilovers with the proper ID are single rate. You get the dual rate with two single rate coils.

Seems to me they are using the air bag as a tender or keeper coil. A keeper coil is also a bandaid for improper single rate coils. Air systems in offroad rigs is stupid. How often do we see ARB switches and compressors fail? Most of the guys here that run front D60 ARB's replace the switches with mechanical setups.

300 pound coil? How heavy is your rig at each corner? Mine are 200's lower and 150 uppers. And I am about 600 pounds sprung weight. Hopefully no keeper needed.

Tommy
08-11-2007, 02:48 AM
There is not enough room to run two springs and slider because the slider will not be on the body of the shock. And most springs for coilovers with the proper ID are single rate. You get the dual rate with two single rate coils.

Seems to me they are using the air bag as a tender or keeper coil. A keeper coil is also a bandaid for improper single rate coils. Air systems in offroad rigs is stupid. How often do we see ARB switches and compressors fail? Most of the guys here that run front D60 ARB's replace the switches with mechanical setups.

300 pound coil? How heavy is your rig at each corner? Mine are 200's lower and 150 uppers. And I am about 600 pounds sprung weight. Hopefully no keeper needed.

Thats what I said 150/300 in the front and 125/300 in the rear. With no keeper. And they work fine. I couldn't see running a lower rate on the bottom, especially since my rig does see some street time. My rig is basically still full bodied, unlike yours. As I am one of those guys running a 60 with an ARB I can tell you from my personal experience I have not replaced a switch in the past 2 years I have had this ARB, nor have I had any compressor issues.

Tommy
08-11-2007, 02:51 AM
I appreciate your opinion.

redline61
08-13-2007, 06:12 PM
I personally think that it might be very useful. I can't count the number of times that I have been out wheeling and really needed a couple extra inches to get over a couple of rocks, and you would get to keep your rig nice and low for the rest of the time. Also, IMO, I think that being able to air up the lower side of the vehicle when side hilling would create a more stable situation, as long as the bags were made strong enough to stand up to the trails, but this is just my theory. I could definitely see this system being prone to failure.