PDA

View Full Version : Moab April 27th - 29th

CrisT
04-06-2007, 04:16 PM
A small group of us are planning on heading to Moab Thursday the 26th for some wheeling that Friday and Saturday. If you're interested, post up!

JohnBoulderCO
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Cristi, So, you got your ZJ up and running? I heard it is BIG! John

CrisT
04-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey there John, long time no see! Maybe I'll be able to keep up with you now :) Corey's hoping to have the Taco Bag (TJ - gotta keep with the mexican food theme) ready to bring.

Are you going to go with us to Moab?

JohnBoulderCO
04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I might be able to make it, I'll check into it.

So, is the ZJ as big as I hear? From last I heard, I won't be keeping up with you.:D

Matt
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
What trails are you planning?

Put me on the list. :D

CrisT
04-09-2007, 01:47 PM
What trails are you planning?

Put me on the list. :D

We haven't made any final decisions yet on trails, personally we're hoping something not too difficult and long the first day. This is kind of a trial run for us as we have a new passenger that might make it clear she doesn't like all the stop and go of wheeling and of course not getting her way :)

I think we'll end up playing it by ear, we will at least be visiting the entrance to Gold Bar Rim (if that helps).

Cody
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
unless some unforseen financial problems arise I should be there. How much are you paying for hotels that week? I bet they are spendy with the car show in town. I may just sleep in the back of the ZJ.

Matt
04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I was able to get off work, so I'm good to go.

I'll be coming out from Denver on Thur, leaving that night around 9:00 pm. Friday sounds good, as for Sat, I'm up for anything pretty challenging. Then on Sunday, make a morning run on Fins or maybe even Hells.

Cody, glad to hear you're coming. I'll buy ya a beer and we can bitch about our 4slow since nobody else wants to hear it. ;)

I'll be sleeping in the back of the ZJ as well.

As it gets closer, I'll PM everyone my cell #. Sounds like a fun group. :)

Matt
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Trails I'd like to do are:
Cliffhanger
Moab Rim
Behind the Rocks
Golden Spike
hmmm

I don't think any of these are short, so maybe metal masher or similar on Fri???

John, you going??

BigDaveZJ
04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Cliffhanger can be done in half a day, you just have to move quickly and have well built rigs.

We've got a trailer now, but my ankle and $$$ are stopping us from going.

Cody
04-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Cliffhanger can be done in half a day, you just have to move quickly and have well built rigs.

We've got a trailer now, but my ankle and $$$ are stopping us from going.

Hey dave, this may be a surprise to you, but there are other trails besides cliffhanger and poison spider ;)

BigDaveZJ
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey dave, this may be a surprise to you, but there are other trails besides cliffhanger and poison spider ;)

There are?? I had no idea!! All of the pages of my Wells book had fallen out except those two so I figured they were the only trails out there! :goodman:

Mtn WJ
04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I may be in. I am supposed to get my Jeep the week before. I need to try it out on a lesser trail before I drive to Moab. I will keep you posted.

Matt
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I may be in. I am supposed to get my Jeep the week before. I need to try it out on a lesser trail before I drive to Moab. I will keep you posted.

If it comes back like mine you shouldn't have any problems. That's the one and ONLY thing I fault Matt/Bob for, is they take a little longer than promised. But they do address all the issues and make certain everything is good to go before they give it back to you. Just tell them you want to go and they should be able to get it done.

Hopefully you can go!

Mtn WJ
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Yea I am planning my work schedule around that weekend just in case. Supposed to get it on the 21st. Well see. With all the beta stuff they are doing for production units they want to get the final design right.

Patience is a virtue they say but it is killing me.

JohnBoulderCO
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm going! Wheeling in the day, cars at night. Should be fun!

Most hotels are full that weekend...I called a bunch. I found one that still had rooms, for a good price too, I was surprised.

Cody
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm going! Wheeling in the day, cars at night. Should be fun!

Most hotels are full that weekend...I called a bunch. I found one that still had rooms, for a good price too, I was surprised.

do tell. I'm going to book a room for saturday night I think. I think walking around the town drunk looking at cool cars sounds like fun and it's much easier when you have a home base.

Cody

JohnBoulderCO
04-17-2007, 07:13 PM
PM'ed you. I didn't think the gal wanted her cell phone number on the internet.

Matt
04-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Glad you can make it John.

PM me the number too please John. Something to look into.

JohnBoulderCO
04-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Matt, yeah it will be fun. I PM'ed you the hotel she works at and her cell number.

Edit: I forgot to ask, how many spare tires are you bringing?;)

Matt
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I have 3 at home. ;), but bringing one.

I think you're thinking of OCG when the guy with the Green ZJ went though 2 procraps. Wasn't me though, I've been lucky so far.

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
It wasn't green either, lol. That was Ryan aka GrandWheeler.

Matt
04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
green....errrrr....black.... :D

JohnBoulderCO
04-17-2007, 11:41 PM
My bad, I just remember that two spares was just enough for one day of wheeling. So with 3 days in Moab, I figured at least 6 ProCraps to be safe.

Did he have a TnT kit too? Maybe that's my confusion. Holy Cross, you, me and Z, it's coming back to me.

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
green....errrrr....black.... :D

Errrrr a weird beige-ish goldish color. LOL :goodman:

Matt
04-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Errrr..... DOOHHhhh :rolleyes:

Yeah, this one.... :D

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/ocg62506/ocg62506051.jpg

JohnBoulderCO
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I had lunch with Stan yesterday. He will be there with a group of built rigs. They are planning to run Golden Spike on Saturday.

Matt
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Is anyone else working on there chit non stop?? Seems like I do one thing and add 3 more to this list.

Z
04-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Is anyone else working on there chit non stop?? Seems like I do one thing and add 3 more to this list.
Yeah, I changed my oil and plugs last week. Tomorrow I get to replace my rotor and cap, diff and xfer case fluids, and the O2 sensor. It is insanity.

JohnBoulderCO
04-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Today's To-Do-List:

I replaced the lower track bar bushing with a new HD one from Kevin. Having the broken axle track bar bracket stick welded in Moab, the bushing was cooked. I fixed the bracket a few weeks ago, it's now all 1/4" plate.

Replaced both track bar bolts with Grade 10.9 (that's Metric for Grade 8). Both of the Grade 8.8 bolts (that's Metric for Grade 5) were slightly bent. Lotta force on the track bar.

Greased all my JJ's, my U-joints and ball joints.

Checked brakes, I always do that before Moab.

Checked all fluid levels. Recent oil changes, so I'm OK there.

I'm mounting up a 35" spare later in the week, thanks Stan! Current spare is 33".

Pack it up and wait until Thursday. Toe tapping. Is it time yet!

Matt
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
In the last 3 weeks I've done the following:

D30 new diff guard
replace D30 fluid
8.8 new rockcrusher diff guard
replace 8.8 fluid
relpace tcase input shaft seal
engine oil change
new front RE coils
new rear RE coils
upper and lower spicer ball joints
D30 spicer 760 u joints
new PSC steering box
new tie rod ends
grease steering and D-shafts and suspension
adjust front control arms
cut out the front fenders (approx 1.5")
grind/weld on the front bumper
install new Tabor 9000 winch
replace old battery with new (under warranty)
check other fluids
touch up everything with some paint

MAKE IT STOP!!!

I think the Jeep is done, now I just need to get tools/camping stuff together.

JohnBoulderCO
04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Damn :prayer:You win! Busy busy...bet you can't wait!

Matt
04-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I'd load it up and leave tonight if everyone else was ready. I can't wait.

The list is long, but it's my fault. Over the winter I've neglected some things, only drove it a couple hundred miles to get around in the snow. Now she's top notch and ready for summer. :)

Mtn WJ
04-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Well I am out for sure. Supposed to get the Jeep back next week and will not have enough time to tech it out enough before hand.

JohnBoulderCO
04-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Keith, that's a bummer. Wish you could have made it.
Hit me up for lunch, for the skid plate and tire. Bring the Jeep, I want to see it!

JpRngr
04-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey Keith, if you still wanna go, I have an extra seat in Taco Bag!

And BTW, none of your guys' lists were anything compared to mine! We'll just leave it at that!

Corey

SCAMPER ZJ
04-22-2007, 03:00 AM
I'll be doing Spike on Saturday, should be about seven of us last I heard. I only know one of the guys in the group (they're some wheeling buddies of my friend's from a few years back), and he says everyone is pretty well built (some FJ's and TJ's). If you need a bigger group to hang with, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you guys tagging along! :)

It would be great to see you guys, I should be getting into Moab Friday night. John, I'll give you a call when I get there just to touch base and check back here later in the week too.

Stan

Z
04-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Keith,

Major bummer, sorry you can't make it.

Everyone who's leaving (Denver) on Thursday - C&C & I will be leaving Denver sometime after noon. Maybe try to meet @ El Rancho at 2:00?

Tom.

JohnBoulderCO
04-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Corey, we wouldn't expect anything less. You probably did an engine swap and a couple of axle swaps.

Tom, sounds good for traveling out together. I-70 and Morrison exit would work for me. It's on the way. What time?

Stan, give me a call when you get in Friday.

Matt
04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I won't be leaving until 5-6PM, doubt my 4Slow would be up to the challenge of tagging along anyway.

Keith, I guess you'll have to wait 2 more months. Bummer you can't make it (but my offer for beer still stands ;) )

Cody
04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll be leaving SLC around 4 on friday which should put me in town around 8-8:30. I know a grip of people coming down and a few of them may tag along with us on a trail (as long as thats cool with you guys)

Cody

Z
04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I'll be leaving SLC around 4 on friday which should put me in town around 8-8:30. I know a grip of people coming down and a few of them may tag along with us on a trail (as long as thats cool with you guys)

Cody
Cody,

This isn't an exclusive gathering, I presume we should just meet at City Market and see who wants to do what trail. I bet some in our group will want to do Golden Spike and they can run with Scamper's friends, others will want to do something shorter. Should be able to suit all tastes, eh?

Cody
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Thats kind of what I figured. A couple guys I know have really built rigs and they seemed excited about doing something that wasn't gong to destroy anything--sometimes that gets old.

I don't think I'd be down for GS though. The 2 times my jeep has been through the crack (under previous ownership) it mangled it's steering and I haven't upgraded yet (couple weeks out).

JohnBoulderCO
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Tom, I was thinking the same thing, meet each morning at the market and figure out what to run.
Cody, I think we have enough spare parts we could put it back together, if needed.

Matt
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd be up for running spike on Sat.

For those of us there on Friday, what sounds good that day? Are we meeting at city market at 8:00?

Cody, where are you camping? (if you still are) We'll be pulling into Moab around midnight on Thur, so I was trying to line something up where I could set my tent. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cody
04-22-2007, 10:17 PM
It depends. I may see if there are any good spots in sand flats left. I also have a friend with a trailer in the Canyonlands campground in town that I can crash at.

CrisT
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
How does 8:00 to 8:30 sound at City Market both Friday and Saturday? I have to admit, we're a little slow in the morning.

I'd be up for running spike on Sat.

For those of us there on Friday, what sounds good that day? Are we meeting at city market at 8:00?

Cody
04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
8:00 on a weekend is like pulling out finger nails man.

MarkCO
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking about heading down for the weekend, but I'm not having any luck finding a hotel. If I manage to find something I'll be out, otherwise I guess I won't.

JohnBoulderCO
04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Mark, the place is full. Cody called my contact and she already gave the rooms away. Keep calling and hope for a cancellation. John

Matt
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm thinking about heading down for the weekend, but I'm not having any luck finding a hotel. If I manage to find something I'll be out, otherwise I guess I won't.

Motel ZJ/WJ located in the Sand Flats Rec Area may have a room. :D That's the only place I've found so far (sounds like same with Cody too).

Cody, you know that area better than I, any good spots to look for? Also, how safe is leaving a tent there while we're out wheeling? I assume if you don't leave a tent there the spot will be gone by the time you get back in the evening.

Cody
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
There are a few good spots, I've neve rhd a problem leaving a tent out. Iw ouldn't worry too much about it.

CrisT
04-24-2007, 12:57 AM
8:00 on a weekend is like pulling out finger nails man.

LOL, wait until you have kids Cody, 8:00am and earlier will become part of your normal weekend routine :)

I suggested 8:30 because sometimes The Diva takes longer to get ready in the morning.

Matt
04-24-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm sending out a PM to you guys with my phone #.

Looks like great weather: Sunny and 80's.

Cody
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I am a kid. I don't need any :D

JohnBoulderCO
04-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I am a kid. I don't need any :D
Time for a nickname?
Cody the Kid
Kid Cody
:D

Cody
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
".....ya keep coming. thats a good line John. A little more to the passenger.....keep coming (crash, roll over). Ooo, sorry about that....my bad"

jsteves
04-24-2007, 02:59 PM
".....ya keep coming. thats a good line John. A little more to the passenger.....keep coming (crash, roll over). Ooo, sorry about that....my bad"

I don't care who you are, that there, that's funny!

Matt
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Welp, I'm off. With any luck I should be in Moab by the time Cody wakes up.

Cody
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
drive safe. I think I"m staying in canyonlands campground in town. I have some friends with etra trailer space.

if you need to call-a-cody......