PDA

View Full Version : Did I Forget How To Weld Or Am I Just Stupid?

ILikeMud
04-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Borrowed my friend's 110v MIG to do the floors and some other small stuff on the Yota. I haven't had a chance to get to any welding on the truck because it's been such shitty weather the past week that I've had it.

I do however try and lay a bead on some sheet metal since I haven't welded in about 4-5 months I figured I should freshen myself up before I do any real welding.

Now either I'm stupid or I forgot how to weld but I tried to lay a bead and all the welder did was spark for a second and then cut out, moved it around and this was all it would do. It was like spot welding.

Now the metal I was trying to lay a bead on had some surface rust that I sort of but didn't really clean it up much. I'm thinking this is the reason that it didn't work.

BigDaveZJ
04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Are you sure the welder works? Sounds like it's severely underpowered or there's a connection loose or something.

CurtP
04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Is the new pieces you have galvanized? Did you grind the edges? I like the flapper wheels for a 4.5" angle grinder myself.

Since I don't weld very often, it takes me a while to fall back into the groove again. My first couple of welds always look like shit so I practice on some scrap first.

Is this the first time you've used your buddy's rig? Does he take care of his shit? It's always a PITA to weld with someone else's equipment, IMO.

ILikeMud
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
First time I've used it. He's used it a bunch of time and looks after it.
I had to put a new tip in on it. It does work cause he used it the night before I picked it up.

I'll have to try with some cleaner steel this weekend. I was trying to weld on some rusty has thin sheet metal so that might have something to do with it.

BigDaveZJ
04-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Are you using an extension cord? That can suck a lot of power.

OverkillZJ
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree... lack of power for some reason (extension cord, bad power, coroded connectors) or totally unprepped weld...

Jim311
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Welding wire could be old/rusty too. My 110 mig got a big bird's nest of wire right where it feeds into the tube. It would still feed but wouldn't get any power to the wire. Took me forever to figure that one out.

CANADIAN ZJ!
04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I doubt the mat'l condition would cause a problem like that. Rust affects a weld but not as significantly as you are describing.

It could be a bad ground connection, but it would have to be barely grounded to cause that and it would not be a consistent problem.

Im just stating the obvious but many welders have a 'spot weld' switch/option, make sure it's set to continuous and not spot.

ILikeMud
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm thinking the ground was shit also to be honest. I can't remember what it was grounded too but it wasn't good.

No extention cord was used.

I'll fuck with it on Monday when I get home again.

ILikeMud
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Turned out to be a shit ground.
I'm also reteaching myself to weld again since it's been so long.

Looking at picking up a Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=9734) so I can at least have my own welder. 110v is perfect for doing the floors and little tiny shit I'm doing right now. I'm getting it cheap so why not.

ATL ZJ
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Kind of a bonehead problem don't you think. Next time save yourself the embarassment and play with it a little longer. :D

violatedppl
05-08-2007, 02:21 AM
^ doubt thats the first time his heard that.