PDA

View Full Version : anyone running Bio in their diesel?

BigDaveZJ
03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I've got my first tank of B20 in right now. It cost 4 cents less a gallon than #2 for me. So far been very impressed, engine runs quieter, better response, just feels smoother in general. I was running #2 with Stanadyne Perf additive before the B20, and it was quite the jump. I'm looking forward to this summer when I can run B100.

nate
03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
They sell it in Boise I'm told though I haven't tried it. 4 cents a gallon cheaper would be great. Diesel here is hitting the $3/gal mark again. Came real close to $4/gal last summer!

ZJZJ
03-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Just understand that if you have a lot of miles running dino sludge, that you are going to clog your fuel filter running biodiesel. B20 won't do it very quickly, but B50 and above will clean all the gunk out of your entire fuel system. This is a good thing. But, you just need to keep an eye on your fuel filter and be prepared to replace it a couple times. I have been running B20 routinely for 18 months. I have run B100 a couple times. The truck loved the B100, but I did notice a little drop in power. The truck ran MUCH smoother and quieter though. Cummins just announced last week that B20 is now approved to run in their diesels from 2002 and newer. I haven't seen anything from DCX about it though.

BigDaveZJ
03-24-2007, 05:15 PM
ZJZJ, that;s why there's a fuel filter in my glove box!!

ATL ZJ
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I tried it once and didn't notice much of a difference. This was in the middle of the winter so I'm not sure what blend it was. Although my turboless 6.5 isn't much to speak of. I know I know, I am planning to fix that issue this month and might finally have a useable tow rig.

ZJZJ
03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
ZJZJ, that;s why there's a fuel filter in my glove box!!

Smart man. I used the one I kept in my truck and haven't replaced it yet. Time to call Geno's and put in an order.

rob92xj
03-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Just understand that if you have a lot of miles running dino sludge, that you are going to clog your fuel filter running biodiesel. B20 won't do it very quickly, but B50 and above will clean all the gunk out of your entire fuel system. This is a good thing. But, you just need to keep an eye on your fuel filter and be prepared to replace it a couple times. I have been running B20 routinely for 18 months. I have run B100 a couple times. The truck loved the B100, but I did notice a little drop in power. The truck ran MUCH smoother and quieter though. Cummins just announced last week that B20 is now approved to run in their diesels from 2002 and newer. I haven't seen anything from DCX about it though.

There was a release from DCX about B20 being ok to use. In my last Cummins class(6.7L) we tested a bunch of differnt fuels and the bio had the highest rating over any of the regular diesels(states fuel, farm fuel and highway fuel)cetane rating of 46 everything else was below 40 and that was B5

ZJZJ
04-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm fortunate that I have a local station about 3 minutes from my house that carries B2 and B20. I can get B50 and B100, but that is about a 40 minute drive from home in the opposite direction from where I normally go. I really like the B20. It just doesn't leave a cloud like the dino diesel.

KevinF
04-30-2007, 12:50 AM
I just joined a bio Co-op here in Phoenix last week, and am going to trade out shop time and materials for some yet undetermined number of gallons of B100, so if all goes as planned, I'll fill my 44-gallon factory Excursion tank full of B100 as well as a an extra 100-gallon transfer tank with electric pump (for refills) to Moab this year for GSW. Will also have fuel filters ready to go, lol.

KevinF

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I've been running B20 pretty much every other tank (nothing close to me at ALL) for a little over 2 months now and haven't needed to replace the filter yet. I'm just waiting for it get warm enough for places around here to start carrying B100, I'm sure I'll need a filter shortly after I started running 100.

K2
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
There was a release from DCX about B20 being ok to use. In my last Cummins class(6.7L) we tested a bunch of differnt fuels and the bio had the highest rating over any of the regular diesels(states fuel, farm fuel and highway fuel)cetane rating of 46 everything else was below 40 and that was B5

While it does have a higher cetane rating it also has a lower btu, by ~10% compared to petroleum.

Alaska ZJ
05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I run B50 almost exclusively. I can totally back up what ZJZJ said. I had to change my fuel filter two times. I had about 80k miles when I swapped to Bio. I would run B100 but I have to drive almost 30 miles the wrong way to get it. B50 is on my way to work.

I run cooler on the Pyro with Bio. Engine is Quieter and smoother. I think I too lost a little power but at 600 ft/lbs of torque I really don't care if I loose a little.

KevinF
05-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I just picked up an old 1987 Mercedes-Benz diesel (W126 300SDL) for a commuter car for next to nothing (salvage title, rear ended, totaled, insurance sale) so it'll be interesting how it all works out running on the BD. I plan on installing a fuel station here at the shop so that I can fill up my own Excurision and MBZ without going to a station. We are building a mobile filling station in the co-op, so it will be a deal where the fuel is delivered to the members, which is VERY cool with me. I'm donating steel and materials, welding, and overall fab know-how to "buy-in" to the co-op...stuff I already have, so it's really a win-win situation. I'm excited.

Kevin

ZJZJ
05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a great set-up. I checked the biodiesel.org board today and there are still only 2 place in the entire state of MI that are listed as selling anything over B20 retail. There are a ton of places listed that have it available commercially/wholesale. I'd love to be running B50 or B100. I paid $3.059 for B20 last week here, while B2 was $2.959, the same as dino diesel is selling for locally.

K2
05-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I just picked up an old 1987 Mercedes-Benz diesel (W126 300SDL) for a commuter car for next to nothing (salvage title, rear ended, totaled, insurance sale) so it'll be interesting how it all works out running on the BD. I plan on installing a fuel station here at the shop so that I can fill up my own Excurision and MBZ without going to a station. We are building a mobile filling station in the co-op, so it will be a deal where the fuel is delivered to the members, which is VERY cool with me. I'm donating steel and materials, welding, and overall fab know-how to "buy-in" to the co-op...stuff I already have, so it's really a win-win situation. I'm excited.

Kevin

I have an 82 300SDL, good luck with it. There are several site for Benz as I am sure you have found plenty. DieselGiant.com is a good one for good items at good prices. If you need any parts let me know, I have grabbed a bunch of extras to get mine fixed.

nate
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Biodiesel is normally more expensive than regular #2 so I don't run it. Doesn't make sense to me.