PDA

View Full Version : oxy/acy torches

goodolboy71
03-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I have been looking to get one of these portable units for a month or so now. In college i had access to Victor Torches and they did great. I can get one ordered from Sears for around 280 with the caddy and torch set up. At Lowes and HD they have the Harris version for the same price. And the local welding supply shop has the prostar version that they claim is made for them by Victor for the same price filled out the door. Is there a way to check that out to see if that is true? I know if would be best to get a setup with large tanks, but i need to portability so i am limited to that. Yall think the prostar would be ok, or the harris or should i just order the Victor one from Sears?

JeepinHank
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Its not really best to get large tanks if you barely use them. I've had full tanks of oxy/acy for about 3 years, and I've barely used enough to even tell a difference. I got them for about $50 from a friend of a friend, so I can't complain, but that's something for you to think about. The small portable tanks should be just fine for you. Not sure on your question about the Prostar being made by victor, but for a torch that will see limited use, I doubt you really need top of the line.

What's the name of your local welding supply place?

OverkillZJ
03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
I wish I had bigger tanks, and I'm at 60 / 80

silber
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but Matt, think about how much longer your tanks would last if you didn't use your torch to open your cans of food, to trim your toe nails, or to eject your dvd's....

OverkillZJ
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
LMAO, we have used oxy to "properly destroy hard drive data."

You know, burning a hole through an old drive definitely meets the "destroyed" criteria!

slim616
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I run the medium tanks on my torches. with use about once a week they lasted me just shy of a year.

goodolboy71
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Its not really best to get large tanks if you barely use them. I've had full tanks of oxy/acy for about 3 years, and I've barely used enough to even tell a difference. I got them for about $50 from a friend of a friend, so I can't complain, but that's something for you to think about. The small portable tanks should be just fine for you. Not sure on your question about the Prostar being made by victor, but for a torch that will see limited use, I doubt you really need top of the line.

What's the name of your local welding supply place?

We have the big ones here in town....Holox,Praxair, and one more etc.....i guess the main reason why i want the victors is more for construction....i know the harris torches would blow orings sometimes and the arrestors supposedly on the victor are seperate from the torch so repairing them is less a hassle or something along those lines....i guess the pro star would work fine for me since its the same price with the first fill included

editted: i like portability but now i have been reading pirate about those parker plasma cutters....dammit now i want one