PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Trailer

ATL ZJ
03-20-2007, 12:12 AM
As some of you know, I've had some issues with my trailer. The main one is that it's too narrow, and the rest relates to serviceability as the axles are lengthened to fit a custom spring perch width. The trailer is secondhand homemade and all I could afford at the time, but within the next year I need something a little more reliable, professionally built, and wider. The old one is not a bad setup really with a hand winch and brakes on both axles, and will be for sale for $1100 if anyone is interested.

My trailer now is a skinny 80" wide aluminum diamondplate deck that the ZJ's tires hang off of. It uses 4" drop axles to keep the overall height very low. Price range will be $1500-$2000 and I am thinking wood deck bumper pull, brakes on both axles, and a deck at least 90" wide. I'm thinking that I might be able to end up with the same overall width as I have now if I were to go deckover with a dovetail. What are you towing with, how do you like it, or what do you wish you had?

chadjans
03-20-2007, 01:33 AM
I bought my ideal bumper pull trailer the first time around. A hard 84" wide between the fenders, 18' deck. 7K capacity, wood deck. One braked axle, second has provisions for drums. I will be adding a second set of brakes. It is a Carson http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/car_haulers/standard_car_hauler/standard_car_hauler.html

As with any trailer I had to do some work to it:

Seal the wood deck.
Paint the underside
Wrap the wires with lomb underneath
Loading and unloading stands
Tounge jack base plate
Spare tire carrier, lug wrench holder
Front winch mount (old hitch from jeep, welded to the front crossmember.I am sure I am forgetting something.

I tow with a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Long box 2wd cummins. The truck is exactly what I didn't want. I wanted a short box and 4wd. But the price was right. Next truck will be a 4wd Dodge. The long wheel base is perfect for towing though. And saved my ass on the way to Moab last year. HalfDoc can share that story.

Chad

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Not owning a trailer but frequently using them here are my thoughts.

REQUIREMENTS
-At least 84" wide
-LOTS of tie down loops
-diamond plate floors
-quality brakes
-solid drive over fenders (for when you go to fullwidths)

LUXURIES
-deck lights
-slide out/in ramps
-cradle running along perimeter of trailer
-dovetail

Just browsing craigslist there are a TON of trailers in ATL for decent prices. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but good deals can be found.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/290578834.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/295604318.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/285428041.html

JeepinHank
03-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Personally I prefer a wood deck, but the rest of Puma's requirements are pretty close. Instead of tie down loops, I'd say just have stake pockets all the way around the trailer. Also, on the topic of brakes, make sure it has a REAL break-away box, with a battery. Oh, a spare tire or two.

On the luxuries, I'd add in provisions for a winch / tool box on the front. The more I get into jeeps, the more non-running jeeps I've been picking up lately. So far I've been lucky in the fact that we've been able to muscle all of them up onto the trailer, but that's only a matter of time before I have to load a non-rolling carcass or my severely disabled Jeep with little or no help.

Another thing that I have seen in the past is a set of legs to drop down at the back of the trailer. That way, when driving up on the trailer, you're not causing the front to lift so much (I don't know why, but that always makes me nervous). Same as those big ramps that have a leg that rests up against the trailer.

Always keep in mind what you're going to be pulling. Is this just a jeep hauler? If so, get a trailer with rails. Personally I like them for a little bit of added safety. If you're going to tow cars, the rails will cause a problem getting in/out of the car after its been loaded.

These days, I'm using a 6 x 16' tandem axle trailer w/ brakes rated @ 7k lbs. It has side rails, and I have about an inch of clearance on each side. Naturally, when my jeep gets wider, I'll have to think about another trailer.

BigDaveZJ
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
IDEALLY it'd be a 30+ ft goose that I could pull both of our Jeeps with, but until I can afford a trailer worth more than my Jeep, an 18' bumper pull it is.

Basically what I'm looking for is the same trailer Chad got, but with a smaller dove and dual brakes. With as much towing in the mountains as I'm going to be doing, the more brakes the better!

chadjans
03-20-2007, 12:39 PM
-diamond plate floors

LUXURIES
-deck lights
-dovetail

Diamond plate brings the suck here in Arizona. Gets HOT.

Deck lights are nice. Never thought of that.

Dovetails are just trailer draggers. Get the trailer up as high as you can.

Cue-Ball
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Check out the one they built on Xtreme4x4, talk about your ULTIMATE trailer!!!!!!!!!

ILikeMud
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Check out the one they built on Xtreme4x4, talk about your ULTIMATE trailer!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna post that. Really sweet.

For me, though a bit away from looking at a tow rig or trailer:
90" wide
Wood deck
Drive over fenders
good brakes on both axles
lots of tie downs
removable lamps
legs like Jeepinhank mentioned
Long enough to carry two rigs

Luxuries
Deck lights
camper on the front
goose neck

JeepinHank
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
The best thing about a 5`er or a gooseneck is that most of your freeloadin' buddies won't be able to tow it. :flipoff2:

ZJZJ
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
The best thing about a 5`er or a gooseneck is that most of your freeloadin' buddies won't be able to tow it. :flipoff2:

This is soooo true.

Tommy
03-21-2007, 02:30 AM

The best thing about the 5th wheel or goose is that your free loading buddies can pay for your gas on the way out to moab when you tow their junk. I would really like to get a three car goose if I could. I plan on building my wife a rig and a few of my buddies dont have trucks, to tow their rigs with. I wouldn't mind getting a 3 car to get some gas money for that long ass drive to Moab and Fordyce....

I really do like the trailer I have now with the exception of the deck. It is to high. It measures 20 ft long and 100" wide. Complete flat deck with an all diamond plate floor, plus diamond plate tool box. After EJS I plan on cutting the deck off and rebuilding it, I want to drop the deck 5" , add a winch, integrate my tool box a little better, and build a cgae for gas cans and such. I just replaced the braking axle becuase one of the damn wheels fell off....

KevinF
04-30-2007, 12:59 AM
I currently have a trailer identical to Chad's, but missing a rear taillight due to an impatient driver (me) not waiting for a spotter to assist in backing up. Oops.

My next trailer is going to be a goose. I think what I want to do is purchase a cab-over camper, and mount it in the front of the trailer, and then leave enough room for the Jeep on the back. Loading the weight correctly may be an issue, so I was considering tearing out a rear axle slide from a semi trailer scrap yard so that I could get the weight ratios a bit better. Alternately, I could load the Jeep on the trailer backwards if we're too heavy forward. I think it would be damned cool to have a place to "rough-it" on the trailer with the Jeep, and until I can afford a half-million dollar medium-duty with toy-hauler combo, it'll have to do. That, or hotels, I guess.

KevinF

nate
04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
The trailer I have is what I wanted.

It's a 20 ft bumper pull, 12k trailer (7" beams) with 2 10k 6 lug braking axles. 2 5/16" bulldog hitch.
1/4" diamond plate fenders (drive over), etc. The jack is a 12k GN style one and it's by the front deck and tied into a bump rail/spare tire holder. I did it like that so I could drive with the tailgate down if I have a 4 wheeler in the bed or whatever.

The only thing I kinda hate is the the ramps store in the front under the deck. They are heavy duty, about 7 feet long and weigh right around 90lbs a piece. Makes it a pain in the butt to carry to the back of the trailer. I had the opinion of having them fold up on the back of the trailer, but I decided not to. I made end up doing that this year.

Loading stands are kind cool, but my truck is heavy enough it's a non-issue for me. If I load/unload without the trailer hooked up, I just pull up on it slow so it doesn't plant the back in the ground too hard.

spykosshow
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
I currently have a trailer identical to Chad's, but missing a rear taillight due to an impatient driver (me) not waiting for a spotter to assist in backing up. Oops.

My next trailer is going to be a goose. I think what I want to do is purchase a cab-over camper, and mount it in the front of the trailer, and then leave enough room for the Jeep on the back. Loading the weight correctly may be an issue, so I was considering tearing out a rear axle slide from a semi trailer scrap yard so that I could get the weight ratios a bit better. Alternately, I could load the Jeep on the trailer backwards if we're too heavy forward. I think it would be damned cool to have a place to "rough-it" on the trailer with the Jeep, and until I can afford a half-million dollar medium-duty with toy-hauler combo, it'll have to do. That, or hotels, I guess.

KevinF

Or you could do something like this....

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n288/96jeepzj/DSCF0069.jpg