PDA

View Full Version : Any Non-Grands going to be in the area?

xtremexj
03-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, SLO_MO (my little brother) wants me to accompany him on the trip to Moab for Grand Slam West, but that will leave me with at least 3 days of no wheeling while you guys are out running the red rock. Is anyone else bringing someone of the non-Grande persuasion with them? I'm trying to get more than a couple of days of wheeling in if I've got to drive 26 hrs. Maybe I could just put a Grand Cherokee badge on it and call it good to tag along - it would be about as much ZJ as Kraqa's ride. :D Anyhow, post up if you know of someone I can wheel with.

This is my rig in case anyone's wondering:

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/10/28411310999.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3659829)

PassRunnerZJ
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
OK, this doesn"t quit get the do a search, but... The reason it is a Grand (read GRAND) Slam Event is because it is Grand Cherokee's only. Read the rule on the website http://gsw.mallcrawlin.com. The base vehicle has to be DMV registered as a ZJ, WJ, or WK at this point.

So NO, no non-Grands! There are plenty of events for XJ, Xterra's, Rovers and so on. That and there are only 50 spots and if we gave spots to non-Grands then some other Grand owner wouldn't be able to participate.

Tripping/wheeling with others on other trails is OK, but not with us on our trail days.

ArloGuthroJeep
03-02-2007, 12:21 AM
I think he is looking for other vehicles to wheel with, not necessarily with the GSW event;)

I have a friend who might be bringing his m38a1 Jeep Willies down there (stock except for rebuilt tranny & Chevy 4.3L V6 swap)...

PassRunnerZJ
03-02-2007, 12:25 AM
yep, got that so I edited it to address tagging along too, but the point needs to be made that trail runs with our group can only be Grands. It isn't that we are snobs, just limited on vehicles for this event.

I wheel with TJ, XJ, Broncos, FJs, trucks... on other trail runs.

Matt
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
I didn't think his intent was to be apart of the GSW in any way, just wanted to go to Moab and be with a buddy on the way down. I may know someone that would love to hit the trails, but they wouldn't be near as capable as your XJ though. I'll see what he thinks. (nice XJ ;) )

SLO MO
03-02-2007, 01:31 AM
He wants to come to Moab because it may be his only chance to go with someone (his brother-> me).
He knows its a Grand only event ;). We are going to try and hit town on Monday night. I/ we want to get a couple of days in before GSW. We are trying to find someone to hook him up with while I'm with the Grands on Fri, Sat, Sun.

If anybody is going to be there early in the week post up so we can make better plans.

Thanks,
Brett

ATL ZJ
03-02-2007, 02:41 AM
bring it to GSSE, we dont have rules

wpcheairs
03-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Brett,
Make sure you take it easy on the first few days of wheeling before GSW. We want you to make all three days this year. See you there...

Bill

Krash80
03-02-2007, 05:29 AM

LMAO, something tells me that would be a LOOOOOOOONG drive.

I have a buddy who's contemplating bringing his YJ out there...but it's only on 33's. I imagine you're going to be looking for some tougher terrain.

xtremexj
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
PassRunnerZJ - don't get your suspension in a twist.:rolleyes: I realize it's a Grand event but figured that maybe some of you have friends that will be in the area tha WON'T be doing anything Friday or Saturday that might want to wheel.;) I was hoping to make Easter Safari this year but the timing wasn't right and this is the only other time I will be able to make Moab this year. It's a long drive if I only get to wheel on Tuesday and Wednesday. I JUST WANT TO WHEEL!!:D

Shane

ILikeMud
03-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Where is GSSE again?
*interested*

PassRunnerZJ
03-02-2007, 12:54 PM
PassRunnerZJ - don't get your suspension in a twist.:rolleyes: I realize it's a Grand event but figured that maybe some of you have friends that will be in the area tha WON'T be doing anything Friday or Saturday that might want to wheel.;) I was hoping to make Easter Safari this year but the timing wasn't right and this is the only other time I will be able to make Moab this year. It's a long drive if I only get to wheel on Tuesday and Wednesday. I JUST WANT TO WHEEL!!:D

Shane

Not twisted, well not till next weekend when we do the Spike with my local Jeep Club, just clearifying to avoid the same issues this year that we have had in the past with friends trying to tag along with the trail groups and since they haven't signed the waivers they present a liability and it pushed us past the BLM 50 participants limit. I was keying on your badgeing your XJ statement.

I understand wanting to get as much trail time as possible once you get to Moab after a long trip. You might check and put a post on www.colorado4x4.org (http://www.colorado4x4.org) as there are other drivers/groups from the neighboring area that single drivers can hook up with (that certainly sounds like a dating thing...).

It isn't as much where it is now as what it started as; Kris' ride did start out as a GC, just like FeartheDentist, Overkill, and others that have morphed into buggies.

Cody
03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I've had people come down in the past and they just ran other trails during the day. You can usually hook up with other jeepers at the City Market in the morning and tag along with them--but it doesn't always work. I used to go down probably 4 or 5 weekends a year by myself just counting on hooking up with other groups. Sometimes it didn't work though and I was on my own--and driving eleventy thousand kilo-miles for something other than a sure thing would suck.

Otherwise, there are lots of things you can do during the 2.5 days of GSW. you could go explore arches or canyonlands, dead hourse point etc. float the river, go swimming at the power dam's, golf, there is world class rockclimbing and mountain biking within minutes of the city etc etc.

I usually take a day or two off from wheelin when I'm down there just so I can take advantage of the thousands of other things that the area has to offer.

Cody

xtremexj
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks Cody. I would like to take in some of the sights as well, but definitely want to get some good seat time on the slick rock. Got to make all of my fuel money count you know.;)

zjmike4
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah I think I will have some non-grand people with me that will be wheelin all week long.. let you know closer towards the time.

SuicideTireZJ
03-05-2007, 06:24 AM
I dunno if I'm going to be able to participate, but I'm sure I could convince my roommate and some other friends with well-equipped vehicles to road-trip/ room/ get wasted with me and run trail seperatly as a group. It's been a couple years since most of us have wheeled the sandstone so the convincing shouldn't be too difficult.

xtremexj
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Zjmike4 and SuicideTireZJ - keep me posted on what's going on.:D I need some confirmation fairly soon so the wife can book her time off. Hope to see you all in few months.

Cody
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I have a buddy that sounds like he'd be willing to come down and lead some trails for people on those days. He only has an XJ on 33's but he knows the area better than I do (and I get around pretty well ;) ) and could lead most anything that isn't too difficult

xtremexj
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up Cody. I don't mind if the trails are not super hard core. However, I would like to get at least one challenging trail in while I'm there. The rest of the time I would be fine with more of a scenic sight seeing type of trail.:D

Kraqa
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
He wants to come to Moab because it may be his only chance to go with someone (his brother-> me).
He knows its a Grand only event ;). We are going to try and hit town on Monday night. I/ we want to get a couple of days in before GSW. We are trying to find someone to hook him up with while I'm with the Grands on Fri, Sat, Sun.

If anybody is going to be there early in the week post up so we can make better plans.

Thanks,
Brett

i'l be there 2 days before the event. i woudl love to wheel with yoru bro. his rig is dope!!

Cody
04-09-2007, 06:16 PM
you guys need to let me know pretty soon if my friend brett should commit the time off and $$ to come down to lead trails for non grands. He'd do it, but if he comes down and ends up with nothing to do he's going to be mad at me.

xtremexj
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
i'l be there 2 days before the event. i woudl love to wheel with yoru bro. his rig is dope!!

We are planning to be there by Monday evening so I think we will try and wheel Tuesday and Wednesday. Looking forward to meeting you.:D

xtremexj
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
you guys need to let me know pretty soon if my friend brett should commit the time off and $$ to come down to lead trails for non grands. He'd do it, but if he comes down and ends up with nothing to do he's going to be mad at me.

Cody, we are definitely coming down. I will also have another friend coming down with a highly modded turbo 4.0L YJ.:eek: We do want to wheel Friday and Saturday while you guys are doing your thing.

xtremexj
04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, my buddy with the YJ just called me and told me that he can't get the time off now.:( We are definitely still coming so I definitely still need someone to wheel with.

xtremexj
04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Cody - is your buddy confirmed to be there with his XJ? I just booked my campsite so we will definitely be ready once we get there. Anybody else confirmed to be there to play?

Cody
04-30-2007, 02:00 PM
It sounds like they will be coming. They don't have very extreme rigs (33's, locker) but they know the area really well.

If you're looking for something more difficult they can at the very least show you where the hard trails are. Maybe I'll talk the good dentist into taking my old rig out on a night run up Upper Helldorado or something.

Sheletor
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
It sounds like they will be coming. They don't have very extreme rigs (33's, locker)
:(

No, we don't have extreme rigs, but we are EXTREMELY CRAZY :rolleyes: :screwy: :smt103 :smt026 :smt101 :smt110 :smt119 :smt118 haha, and yes we will be coming down.

James
05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey... I'm the guy that brought the Yota buggy down last year and pissed everyone off ;) I'll be comin again, with my bro. His rig is my old rig... So don't worry, I used to wheel a Grand! I just got smart! hehe J/K I loved my ZJ!
Anyway, i wont be wheelin with any of the grand guys(of course) so yeah, I'm down to wheel with anyone. I'll take it on any trail you guys would like, should be good times! See you there!

Brett M
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Cody - is your buddy confirmed to be there with his XJ? I just booked my campsite so we will definitely be ready once we get there. Anybody else confirmed to be there to play?

I suppose that I could lead some trails, since I told Cody I would :-DBesides, some of these guys might remember me, since I've been to a few of their events before, just not in my XJ. Always good times.

xtremexj
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I suppose that I could lead some trails, since I told Cody I would :-DBesides, some of these guys might remember me, since I've been to a few of their events before, just not in my XJ. Always good times.

How is your XJ setup Brett? It would be great if you could come out also.:D

Brett M
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
How is your XJ setup Brett? It would be great if you could come out also.:D

Well, judging from your signature, you'll be able to walk all over everything down there. I'm just on a RE 4.5" with 33's, nothing special, but I can make it work well.

Cody
05-02-2007, 12:11 PM
get our of here you damn hippy!

xtremexj
05-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey... I'm the guy that brought the Yota buggy down last year and pissed everyone off ;) I'll be comin again, with my bro. His rig is my old rig... So don't worry, I used to wheel a Grand! I just got smart! hehe J/K I loved my ZJ!
Anyway, i wont be wheelin with any of the grand guys(of course) so yeah, I'm down to wheel with anyone. I'll take it on any trail you guys would like, should be good times! See you there!

What are the specs on your buggy James?

Brett M
05-03-2007, 01:02 AM
get our of here you damn hippy!

Shut it :smt066

James
05-05-2007, 04:13 AM
What are the specs on your buggy James?
Nothin to amazing right now. Original frame is from an '85 as well as the rear axle and t case. Motor is a 22RE from a '92, as well as the 5 speed and the t case. Marlin doubler. SAS, spring over, welded, and lots of tube! You can check out some pics on photobucket, just do an album search for jeepin4x4j
*Hopefully* I'll be linked up on air shox with hydro assist before June, but we'll see what happens...

Brett M
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
So, any guess on how many people Steve and I are taking out?

xtremexj
05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Well I'll be there for sure.:D Anybody want to try Area BFE on the Friday or Saturday? One of my buddies from here just got back and went in there, said it was awesome. He ran Britney Spears and Greenday with some smaller Jeeps.

egg
06-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I know this is a Grand Cherokee event, but would anyone be opposed if a buddy of mine just followed me on the trail rides if I was bringing up the rear? he really wants to wheel with me, but doesn't want to just ride shotgun for our first trip to moab. he wheels a long armed xj, locked front and rear with 33s

Sandy R
06-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I know this is a Grand Cherokee event, but would anyone be opposed if a buddy of mine just followed me on the trail rides if I was bringing up the rear? he really wants to wheel with me, but doesn't want to just ride shotgun for our first trip to moab. he wheels a long armed xj, locked front and rear with 33s

That would be a problem. Best bet if you want to stick together is to ride with the group of non-Grands that are in the same situation as your buddy and you. Sorry.

egg
06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
That would be a problem. Best bet if you want to stick together is to ride with the group of non-Grands that are in the same situation as your buddy and you. Sorry.

I was afraid of that. I would rather run with the other grands as I planned, like 6 months ago. I'll talk to him about it, try to convince him to ride shotgun and maybe help pay for gas.

Sandy R
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I was afraid of that. I would rather run with the other grands as I planned, like 6 months ago. I'll talk to him about it, try to convince him to ride shotgun and maybe help pay for gas.

My suggestion:
Have him run with the non-Grands group during the days. You guys will see eachother all evening for food, drinks, parking lot repairs, etc.

xtremexj
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
egg - There will be quite a few of us non-Grands who are taggin along with friends and family who are taking to the trails on our own. Maybe go back to the beginning of pg.1 of this thread and read it through to get the whole scoop.:D

egg
06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
egg - There will be quite a few of us non-Grands who are taggin along with friends and family who are taking to the trails on our own. Maybe go back to the beginning of pg.1 of this thread and read it through to get the whole scoop.:D

Yeah, I did read the 1st page, I was just hoping to try a loophole in the rules, being as I'm sure there are gonna be groups on the trails behind GSWers. I still haven't talked to him about all of the options, but he might not be able to be there on friday. So I could run golden spike with GSW, and wheel with him on sat and sun with the rest of the non-grands. have you guys come up with your final trail selections for the weekend or will you be playing it by ear?

Cody
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
GSW has it trails picked out--with only one change likely for saturday. the other group is playing it by ear.

also, during this time of year, the trails aren't particularly crowded by multiple groups---too hot.

Brett M
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
have you guys come up with your final trail selections for the weekend or will you be playing it by ear?

Yeah, Steve and I are still throwing ideas around as to what to run. We were thinking about maybe just taking these guys to arches and do some hikes instead. ;)

Joking aside, we've no idea, other to run something that is worth it for all of you coming in from out of state. Anyone have a trail they've heard about and wanted to run when they came to Moab?

xtremexj
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Well, I am hoping to get into Area BFE at some point. Pritchet is also on the agenda.

Cody
06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
well, you're talking about trails that these trail leaders aren't very well set up for

Brett M
06-07-2007, 12:40 PM
well, you're talking about trails that these trail leaders aren't very well set up for

Hmm.....the only difference from Steve's Jeep and mine compared to yours is tire size sir ;)

Brett M
06-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, I am hoping to get into Area BFE at some point. Pritchet is also on the agenda.

I don't know if I'd get out to Area BFE, but it's possible. You're more setup for the harder stuff there, but I know there's easier runs for those of us not on big ass tires. We'll have to see what we can run.

Cody
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Hmm.....the only difference from Steve's Jeep and mine compared to yours is tire size sir ;)

tire size, wheel base, and the fact that I've run pritchet about 100 times ;)

also, i'm not taking my rig on pritchet. No front locker and we're limiting pritchett to 2 lockers this year. I'm hoping to ride in my old rig, but if not then I'll improvise.

Cody
06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know if I'd get out to Area BFE, but it's possible. You're more setup for the harder stuff there, but I know there's easier runs for those of us not on big ass tires. We'll have to see what we can run.

like strike ravine?

Brett M
06-07-2007, 04:13 PM
tire size, wheel base, and the fact that I've run pritchet about 100 times ;)

also, i'm not taking my rig on pritchet. No front locker and we're limiting pritchett to 2 lockers this year. I'm hoping to ride in my old rig, but if not then I'll improvise.

Try roller blades and a rope.....probably would be interesting to run a trail like that. :smt038

Brett M
06-07-2007, 04:14 PM
like strike ravine?

Have you done it? Never been there (that I can recall at least)

Z
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I thought Strike Ravine was closed due to lease being bought but treehuggers? Wasn't that caught up in the same grab as lower helldorado?

Cody
06-07-2007, 04:31 PM
ya, but most of it still exists. I think they were able to get an easment on the rest. It's still there.

Z
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Strike is still there, but not Lower Hell, right?

Cody
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
affirmative

Brett M
06-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Glad to have met Shane and Amanda! Good times on the trail with you two :)

xtremexj
06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks Brett! It was great to meet you and Steve - we really appreciate you guys coming down to show us some trails. Too bad we had the problems on Hell's Revenge - maybe next time.;)

jsteves
06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Has anyone run Green Day (the harder side). Saw a trip report the other day, looked like fun.