ILikeMud
02-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I need to repair the frame on my Yota.

Driver's side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Toyota/ToyotaFrame01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Toyota/ToyotaFrame02.jpg

Passenger side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/G2Rac/Toyota/ToyotaFrame03.jpg

Now I'm not 100% sure how to go about this. I don't need any of the mounts that are there on the frame as I've got a flat bed on the truck and those mounts are for the factory bed.
From talking to friends who have done this before, I'd have to cut out the rusted frame and weld new tube of the same size in.
Is this all there is to it?

I was thinking of welding the new section in and then bracing it to the frame to make it stronger.
Any and all help is welcome!

nate
02-28-2007, 01:42 PM
What I would do is cut off the brackets you don't need. Cut out the rusted part. Then weld plates on both sides of the frame as well as the top and bottom.

ILikeMud
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
I think what I've decide to do is cut the no good section out at a 45* angle and then weld a new section in. The new section will be the same dimension of the stock frame.

From there I will plate the section that I replaced with some 3/16 steel to make it stronger then stock.
Should work out fairly good.

Or I can get some tube that will slip over the frame and then weld and plate that. I'm not 100% sure.

ILikeMud
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Should I try and find a good section of rear frame (which will be hard as hell considering how rare these trucks are and for the fact that most of them are rusty anyhow)?
Or should I hack of the rear section of frame totally, rebuild it with some 3/16 rectangle tube and then boxing the whole frame for added strenght?

I'm personally liking the second choice but I thought I'd get some input from everyone else.

ATL ZJ
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I would make it easy on myself and find another frame in better shape. Those trucks really aren't that rare. You cannot sleeve tube bent like the frame is- only straight and rolled. Perhaps you were looking for another term.

ILikeMud
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Maybe.

I'm trying to find a frame locally but it's proving to be hard.

zjinprogress
02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
if you've got the time/resources/skills, i'd hack off the whole back of the frame and rebuild it yourself with some square tube, or if you're feeling extra sillly, start beding some round and tube out the whole ass end. Where im from (north east) its real hard to find a truck of your generation that is in any sort of decent shape. you might as well do it once and do it right, and i dont care what anyone says, a well built trail style flat bed is the way to go on a truck thats gonna get used in the woods.

mike

Jumping zj
04-12-2007, 09:29 PM
When joining old and new frame, be sure to weld frame on an angle, not straight up and down.

Depending on how elaborate you want to get you could just plate the cancerous area, this should buy you a few years.

ILikeMud
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Depending on how elaborate you want to get you could just plate the cancerous area, this should buy you a few years.

That's what I'm doing for now.
In a few years I'll back half/buggy it.