PDA

View Full Version : Tire Review Section

BigDaveZJ
02-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Which tire is best for me is one of the most popular questions seen on any board, and I was thinking of a way for us to create a resource that would be greatly beneficial to anyone with a 4x4, not just a Grand.

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics on it and keeping it organized. Basically my thought was have a thread for each brand and model of tire, and then users who have run that tire can post up their experience with the tire.

So there would be a new forum created within MallCrawlin specifically for tire reviews, and then we (the staff) would go through and start threads for the more popular tires that are run, link to MFG sites, pics, stuff like that. Then from that point the people who are actually running the tire could go in and give their review on the tire. There would be a basic format to the review, things like tire size, vehicle info, wheels used, psi's they were run at, terrain they were used on, and then likes and dislikes of the tire.

What say the masses? Good idea or :gayflag:

EDIT: We'll also probably want to bring on another moderator for this section as well to keep things civil and on track. The threads will not be for discussion, but for reviews only, so if you want to join the MallCrawlin staff speak up.

Kraqa
02-24-2007, 12:56 AM
gooder idea yo!

Krash80
02-24-2007, 01:15 AM
I like the idea, but I'm not sure how helpful it would really be. People talking about their tires is like talking politics...no matter how many good things you have to say about a tire, there's always a bunch of other people that completely disagree.

I know which recent post probably sparked this idea, and the only reason I didn't move it to "newbie" or "chit chat" was because a couple of the tires it was comparing probably haven't been discussed much on here before.

I'd say screw it...if someone wants to research what kind of tires they want they can go to a tire website or search through posts on pirate or JU. If they're on here and they're repetitive they get deleted, or if the post discusses new info or new tires it can stay in the general or chit chat or newbie forum.

But...if you want to make your website the end-all info station for wheeling grand cherokees or other off road vehicles, then you've gotta have tire reviews...it'll definitely draw attention to the website.

nickzj08
02-24-2007, 01:48 AM
I think its a good idea. We spend all of our money building up our rigs to run bigger tires, so a forum dedicated specifically to them would be helpful. I have yet to find a good forum with all the tire information I am looking for.

ATL ZJ
02-24-2007, 02:02 AM
The problem with making a specific tire discussion area is that there is no measurable standard to evaluate tire performance other than hearsay. Before you create such a section, read ALL of this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-TSLs

nickzj08
02-24-2007, 02:06 AM
This is one of the best reviews I have found. They covered most all of the variables that would affect the tires performance.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/mud_tires_tested/

BigDaveZJ
02-24-2007, 02:34 AM
The problem with making a specific tire discussion area is that there is no measurable standard to evaluate tire performance other than hearsay. Before you create such a section, read ALL of this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/PR-TSLs

Okay, that was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I wanted to know!! LOL

I don't really want to go anywhere near that in-depth on general tire info, but just have people share their experiences with a tire. So instead of a thread saying "hey what do you guys think of this tire" someone can go to a thread where people have already shared their experiences.

BigDaveZJ
02-24-2007, 02:37 AM
This is one of the best reviews I have found. They covered most all of the variables that would affect the tires performance.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/mud_tires_tested/

Kinda funny, when I went to that link the pic at the top was of a certain green ZJ buggy from when Petersen's did an article about it and Cody's buddy with the uber-tall Toy.

Ken L
02-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I think it's a good idea to have a tire specific area, but I think that just a review may not provide all the necessary information. Things are brought up in a debate-style format that may give more answers to someone's questions about a given tire choice. Terrain and wheeling style all play a role in which tires work best. A reviewer may not conciously omit important details, whereas debate will help bring those thoughts out along with other information that may help someone make an educated tire selection.

Granted, debate has to be based on observations or experience, not web wheeling. But it's much the same as discussion on how to chop the back half of your ZJ off, or how to build long arms. Other's experience and good questions help us to create the rigs that are right for us, and that is just as important in making the right tire selection as it is with anything else.

Krash80
02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
And FWIW, tire SIZE is a huge factor in how a tire performs. A 31x11.5R15 LTB can have completely different wheeling/driving/durability characteristics than a 47x17R15 LTB.

Driving style, air pressure, terrain, vehicle weight, rim size (both diameter and width), and LUCK are all major factors that contribute to how well a tire performs, and those variables make it extremely difficult to accurately compare the performance of one tire versus another unless all other variables are taken out of the equation.

If you want to do reviews of tires, they would all need to be structured in the exact same way. Come up with a standard "form" that would need to be filled out by the reviewer for each tire, and allow for multiple reviews in each thread for each type of tire, while eliminating "nonsense" type debates such as, "Well my buddy runs those tires on his lifted yota and he's ripped 4 sidewalls and they suck," since comments like that obviously contribute nothing useful.

I.E. ....

Have a post for each make and model of tire, then have multiple reviews in that post. Every person responding to that post needs to fill out:

Tire under review:
Tire size:
Rim dimensions:
Make/model of vehicle tested on:
Vehicle weight:
Driving style:
Terrain tested on:
Air pressures tested at:
Where purchased:
Date purchased:
Tire cost:
etc, etc, etc....

...then have comments and experiences with the tires.

Rubber Chuck
02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Dave.....I think it's a good idea. Have you ever been on tirerack.com?
You'd be amazed at how many tires I sell based off the reviews on that site.
I'd be happy to mod this section for you if you like. I have been selling tires to feed the family for about 5 years now....so I do have some experience and do receive quite a bit of feedback. I do spend a lot of time at Paragon.....so I also sell quite a bit of offroad type tires as well.
KThnxBye

snarfer86
06-07-2007, 06:37 AM
I really like the format that www.PBreview.com has, maby do something like that?

canadian_driver
06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
yes