PDA

View Full Version : Aggie ZJ

Pages : [1] 2

jfowlzj95
02-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Well some of you may have seen my rig in some of the 'Trip report' threads and around the site, if not here it is.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/bvorrrun3.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/bvorrrun1.jpg

3.5" RE springs, no front swaybar, Kevin's sliders and rad support, 31 BFG muds, some performance mods for the V8, body modifications :smt047, yadda yadda yadda. Done some other changes like ditching the CV front driveshaft for a u-joint, put on some UC skids, and other crap.

Decided to start this now cause I've got some big plans for it between now and summer. Have been able to get a few things with the little money I've got for now (its tough going to college and only being able to work when I get to go back home, which is rare).

Bought a 231 a few weeks ago, tore it down then put it back together to make sure nothing was fawked and replaced some studs so its all ready to go other than just making sure input shafts are the same.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/np231.jpg

Got a nice little Don-a-vee to help free up some room in the back to store tools and such. Nothing special, but it works well. Departure angle kinda sucks now, but oh well. Most of the trails here have soft ground.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/donavee1-1.jpg

And then theres my most recent purchase, which will most likely be the last to be finished before summer, my 9". :supz:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/finally1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/finally.jpg

Now you can see where that Don-a-vee comes in handy.

Decided on the 9" because of the ability to upgrade it to 35-40 spline in the future and its well reputation. Didn't want a D44 and thought about the 8.8 because of the close width and matching BP, but then thought why go that when I can get a 9"? Plus everyone was doing the 8.8 swap, nothing against it I just wanted to do something different for a change. I've also got a few buddies who've got the 9" under their rigs so I'll be going to them for parts and help. Anyways on to the 9", came out of a 78 F-150, 31 spline, big bearing, ~64" wms-wms, drums and shafts with the 5x5.5 BP. Rotates fine so thats a good sign. Plan is to convert it to discs, change the shafts to 5x4.5 BP, regear to probably 4.10s or 4.56s along with the front, and maybe throw in a Detroit.

Got some 2" coil spacers on the way too so I'll be going up a few more inches, plus I might be able to get a deal with another guy in trading my 31s for his 33s. Should be a great experience building the 9" up, really looking forward to running this under my rig.

H3RESQ
02-22-2007, 03:30 AM
:smt038 I love my 9. Are you sure it's 64wms. I'm running the same housing. It measure's 65wms. at least with the disk brake upgrade(wilwood).

Are the spacers on the way for the front? conversion from 5 on4.5 to 5 on 5.5?

What are you planning for backspacing? I know my Wj is wider and I'm running 17x8 with 5 inch backspace. I have a bit of tire sticking out. Just thought this might help a little.

Also check the housing, Mine looked like that when I got it. Housing ended up being slightly bent.

Yipee, you'll love that axle. never have to do another one no matter how big you go in tires.

corrupt143
02-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Nice off camber shot.:smt045 Your parts pile is getting there, looking good.

jfowlzj95
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
:smt038 I love my 9. Are you sure it's 64wms. I'm running the same housing. It measure's 65wms. at least with the disk brake upgrade(wilwood).

Are the spacers on the way for the front? conversion from 5 on4.5 to 5 on 5.5?

What are you planning for backspacing? I know my Wj is wider and I'm running 17x8 with 5 inch backspace. I have a bit of tire sticking out. Just thought this might help a little.

Also check the housing, Mine looked like that when I got it. Housing ended up being slightly bent.

Yipee, you'll love that axle. never have to do another one no matter how big you go in tires.

When I measured it in the yard it looked to be 64wms but one of the drums is missing, I can measure it again it could be 65wms no biggie.

For spacers, I meant coil spacers I'll have to go edit that. But I did think about getting them for the front to even out the width some and run the same BP. I could get really lucky by getting parts from others in town, one guy whos running a 9 under his TJ has 5x4.5 shafts but 5x5.5 for the front. So I could just trade with him if length is the same.

My current wheels have 3.75" BS, I might keep them or I might go with 4-5" BS. Not worried if it sticks out some as long as its not a ridiculous amount. Housing didnt look bent at all, so thats good. A lot of these issues I'll work out as I get closer to throwing this under the rig, right now I just want to figure out what all I've got and what I'll need. BTW where did you get brackets for your 9?

jfowlzj95
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice off camber shot.:smt045 Your parts pile is getting there, looking good.

I almost flopped it in that shot. :doh:

Parts pile is only going to get bigger. Oh, and were you able to get those lower CAs?

ILikeMud
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Looks good.
The 9" is a beef axle, you should enjoy having it under your rig.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
are there "good 9's and bad 9's"? my dad and i just picked up a ghetto ford truck bed made trailer to haul some wood in the yard, and when i took a look under it, what do ya know, it looks to be a ford 9". the bed looks to be an early to late 60's ford f-100 w/ drums. i believe 3.27 gears. good candidate for a build? what do i need to check out on it? it even has some black steelies bolted up to it.

(sorry for hijacking)

jfowlzj95
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
are there "good 9's and bad 9's"? my dad and i just picked up a ghetto ford truck bed made trailer to haul some wood in the yard, and when i took a look under it, what do ya know, it looks to be a ford 9". the bed looks to be an early to late 60's ford f-100 w/ drums. i believe 3.27 gears. good candidate for a build? what do i need to check out on it? it even has some black steelies bolted up to it.

(sorry for hijacking)

Well first make sure its not an 8" instead of a 9". I was looking at one from an late 60s early 70s F100 and it turned out to be an 8". Check the 3rd member, if you can access the lower 2 nuts (should be right under the pinion) straight on with a socket then its an 8", for the 9 you either have to come in at an angle or use a wrench.

If it is a 9, you'll want big bearing not small. I did this by looking at the drums, big bearing came with 11"x2.25" drums while the small bearing came with 10"x2.5" drums. I also checked the stud for the brakes at the end of the tubes, big bearings should be 1/2" as opposed to the small's 3/8" IIRC.

Here's a few sites I used to help me find my 9.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/rearaxle.htm (http://www.wsu.edu:8080/%7Ei6735189/rearaxle.htm)

H3RESQ
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
BTW where did you get brackets for your 9?

Blue torch fab for the coil buckets, although I think calytons are better.

Blue torch fab for the lower link and shock brackets. There cheap and work great. The upper link/truss bracket I ordered from RK since it's set up for the system.

BTW my rears stick out about 2.75 inches on either side. So even with 5 inch backspade I think close to half your tire will stick out.

jfowlzj95
02-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Blue torch fab for the coil buckets, although I think calytons are better.

Blue torch fab for the lower link and shock brackets. There cheap and work great. The upper link/truss bracket I ordered from RK since it's set up for the system.

BTW my rears stick out about 2.75 inches on either side. So even with 5 inch backspade I think close to half your tire will stick out.

Width isnt a big worry for me as long as its not the whole tire. I'll have to see what it looks like though when its all set up. Thanks for the info.

jfowlzj95
02-24-2007, 10:07 PM
I finally get to do some work on the axle tomorrow, hopefully pull it apart and cut off the old brackets. I'm also going to be doing some fender trimming seeing that my 31s are starting to reshape them.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/fendertrimm.jpg

I've seen that most of you guys have trimmed to the about near black line, but what about the red line? Has anyone trimmed to there? After seeing a buddies TJ and his trimming gave me the idea. I'm for sure going to the black, just trying to see if I'll like the idea of going past it.

zj95maxx
02-25-2007, 12:40 AM
I guess you could trim that much if you plan to run big tires with small lift...the black line is where I cut..and it works fine...I

H3RESQ
02-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Also if you cut the RED line you'll be way behind the inner fenderwell. Seems kinda pointless. Unless you plan to cut out and plate your floorboards. I'd say try something inbetween if the black doesn't satisfy. YOU CAN ALWAYS CUT MORE.

Am I confused, is this a driver or a trailer rig?

As for width keep this in mind. Let's say you have 5 inches of lift. As your axle gets wider(ie:tires stick out further) your tire will no longer stuff into the fenderwell. This is important in the rear seeing you have to stop trimming UP when you get to the door in the rear. Notice your first picture in this thread. Look at the stuff of your rear tire. The axle without spacers will add almost 3 inches of width to each side. Your tire would be tearing up your door even if you trimmed the fenders. You would need two more inches of lift with no tire size increase to make it work without mods.

jfowlzj95
02-25-2007, 05:52 AM
The red line would be just for looks I wouldnt expect it to rub even if I were to just cut at the black. And the rig is a DD.

I see your point, the coil spacers that I've got would put me around 5". I'll most likely run 33s with on wheels with 4-5" BS I would think that would be a fine fit.

SuicideTireZJ
02-25-2007, 07:17 AM
I trimmed less than the black line on my ZJ with 13.5" wide 33's and I don't get any rub.

As for the red line, I'm pretty sure Big Dave did his around there.

corrupt143
02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh, and were you able to get those lower CAs? Im still waiting for them. I'll send you some pics when they FINALLY get here. Dont worry, theyre yours if theyre what you want.

jfowlzj95
03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Trimmed the fenders and relocated the charcoal canister yesterday, just finally uploaded the pics. Still have to cut/smash some of the inner fender though. Spring Break is coming up so I finally get to head home, should be able to work on the axle some and maybe even swap in the 231.

jfowlzj95
03-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Swapped in the 231 today, all went well other than my rear driveshaft being about 1" too long. For those who have done the 249 to 231 swap, did any of you have to lengthen/shorten your rear drive shaft? I dont remember reading about it in any of the write ups, I could have just over read though.

Will post pics once its finished.

WestexZJ
03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
That tire carrier looks great. I drove mine all over Moab and a lot of Colorado and actually used those skid rails. Good Luck with the project. I should have some pics of mine in a few weeks.

jfowlzj95
03-17-2007, 04:14 AM
That tire carrier looks great. I drove mine all over Moab and a lot of Colorado and actually used those skid rails. Good Luck with the project. I should have some pics of mine in a few weeks.

Thanks again Ronnie for the carrier, it has really come in handy.

jfowlzj95
03-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Here are some pics of the 231 swap, all works well other than the linkage. Shock boot covering the slip yoke idea stollen from Jordan :D. And for those who are planning on doing this swap or similar, read the write ups AND make sure you have a FSM with you. You will definatly need them in order to do it right.

jfowlzj95
03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Got axle pics. Cut off the old brackets and cleaned it up a bit, no final pics though. Just need to get gears and brackets for it. Pulled the chunk and found that stock gearing for it was 2.75:1, wonderful. And now its gets to sit in a shed for a while...

jfowlzj95
04-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Small update, nothing too special. Got Kevin's Trackbar Conversion in today, looks like a pretty beefy set up. Also got his Durometer bushings to go with it. Wont be able to install it until a few weeks as I have no real place to work, the apartment complex I'm at gets pissed even if you pop the hood. Will post up more pics when its installed.

TheOtherSide
04-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Small update, nothing too special. Got Kevin's Trackbar Conversion in today, looks like a pretty beefy set up. Also got his Durometer bushings to go with it. Wont be able to install it until a few weeks as I have no real place to work, the apartment complex I'm at gets pissed even if you pop the hood. Will post up more pics when its installed.

You'll love that track bar conversion... it's
http://www.kelrox.com/net/verynice.jpg

jfowlzj95
05-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Got to go back to Austin for part of the summer and figure out a few problems with the Jeep, discovered some minor carnage. I've been having a scratching noise coming from the front drivers side axle for a few weeks now, just figured it was probably the CV joint going bad. Got the Jeep on jackstands, pulled the wheels, removed the caliper, and just as I was removing the rotor, off comes part of the hub assembly. Also took a look at the caliper and discovered it was about time to change the pads. I had just replaced both hubs this past January, so I took the fawked hub to Autozone and got a new free one thanks to warranty. CV joint is infact out, on both sides, looks like its time to upgrade to some U-joints... or maybe a better front axle. :driving:

So now the Jeeps a hovercraft, also have to replace a rear axle seal. But after all the minor repairs are done I'll be able to install Kevin's TB conversion and other little goodies that I've been waiting to install for a while due to a crappy apartment complex. Might even get a chance to make some progress on the 9".

Oh and some 33x12.5" Maxxis Bighorns should be arriving soon... Looks like Hunter isnt going to be the only ZJ riding around College Station on them anymore. :finga:

Grandsrus
05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
First off, Go AGGIES!

Second do NOT buy hub bearings other than form the dealer. There is a reason they do not last long!!! EVERYone I know that has bought napa, vatozone or any other parts stores hubs do not last! (even with their warranty...)

jfowlzj95
05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
First off, Go AGGIES!

Second do NOT buy hub bearings other than form the dealer. There is a reason they do not last long!!! EVERYone I know that has bought napa, vatozone or any other parts stores hubs do not last! (even with their warranty...)

Whoop!

We'll see about this new hub.

As for a little update, UPS guy came about 15 minutes ago and dropped off these. :supz:

Looks like its time to whip out the sawzaw and cutting discs to make them fit...

ZachJ
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I have those exact same tires and love them. Ive figured that anything important bought from those stores is a piece of crap wont last.

TheOtherSide
05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Those tires look pretty cool.... maybe I'll get them next time... I'm still high on my new Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's...

Looking good!

jfowlzj95
05-15-2007, 01:49 AM
More pics. Got them mounted up, trimmed some just to get it on the street, and drove it around. Love them.

And of course, gotta cram them all into the Grand. :D

TheOtherSide
05-15-2007, 09:58 AM
What control arms do you have front and rear? I put my 33's on this past saturday with all RE Adjustable arms... and I don't have to do any trimming to hit the street. Lots of trimming coming before I can go offroad though....

Here's a poser shot....

http://www.kelrox.com/net/jeep/005/008.jpg

http://www.kelrox.com/net/jeep/005/009.jpg

bone11b
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Just curious, what cha doing with those BFG MT's?

HUH?HUH?
Need some rubber, if they're still good let me know.

spykosshow
05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I like that white ZJ!

TheOtherSide
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Where the hell'd that black ZJ come from???

From my house... :D

spykosshow
05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Nice white ZJ

ZachJ
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
So you have 2 equally built ZJ's?

I think that you are mistaken, the black jeep is The Other Side's and jfowlzj95 has the white jeep. He was showing the how he didnt have to trim the rear to fit 33's.

spykosshow
05-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I think that you are mistaken, the black jeep is The Other Side's and jfowlzj95 has the white jeep. He was showing the how he didnt have to trim the rear to fit 33's.

Where'd you get that quotation from??

ZachJ
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
you edited your posts :smt117

ILikeMud
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
The black one belongs to The Otherside.

DJJordache
05-16-2007, 12:32 PM
sweet tires! mind if I ask how much and where did you get them.... I will NEED to go up in tire size soon since I'm installing Claytons this weekend:supz:

ZachJ
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
I got mine on ebay, I paid 552 w/ free shipping. The sellers id was nikkiw0212.

jfowlzj95
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Dang, if it wasnt for some of those quotes I'd be so confused right now... And just to be sure to clear things up, mines the white ZJ. :D

What control arms do you have front and rear? I put my 33's on this past saturday with all RE Adjustable arms... and I don't have to do any trimming to hit the street. Lots of trimming coming before I can go offroad though....

Here's a poser shot....

I'm running all adjustables for the front, and for the rear the uppers are adjustable but the lowers are fixed. Before I trimmed I threw the tires on the rear and they were just barely touching where I ended up cutting. I still have some more trimming to do. BTW you Jeeps looking good.

Just curious, what cha doing with those BFG MT's?

HUH?HUH?
Need some rubber, if they're still good let me know.

I have someone in College Station who might already be buying them but if he backs out I'll shoot you a PM.

sweet tires! mind if I ask how much and where did you get them.... I will NEED to go up in tire size soon since I'm installing Claytons this weekend:supz:

I got those off www.selecttire.com (http://www.selecttire.com) for $508.00 but I also had to pay shipping.

fsjtrash
05-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I love that fender trimming. Have any issues with the 33's and the 3.5 lift?

jfowlzj95
05-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I love that fender trimming. Have any issues with the 33's and the 3.5 lift?

Havent really gotten to take it off road yet, but I'd assume it will rub a lot. I still need to smash the inner fenders in some and possibly trim the rear a little more.

fsjtrash
05-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Any trimming neccesary with the 31's? I didnt realize 33's were that huge on a ZJ. I'm amazed.

jfowlzj95
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
They rubbed some in the front at full flex but it wasnt that bad.

bone11b
05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I have someone in College Station who might already be buying them but if he backs out I'll shoot you a PM.

Sweetness. . . (please fall through:D)

Thanks man

jfowlzj95
08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Little update...

This friday afternoon I'll be picking up an 86 4Runner (4x4, 22RE, IFS, basically all stock) which will be the new DD for a while. Jeeps been having some problems for quite some time I just haven't had time to work on it since it was the DD. Plenum gasket I believe might be going out at 145K on the 5.2, steering box is pretty worn so I'll be replacing that with a PSC 621MR box, hearing some clunking noise from the T-case so I think something may be wrong with the chain, and a few other minor things. Plus school is starting back up here pretty soon so this semester should be very productive. :D

zj95
08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
nobody cares

jfowlzj95
08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
nobody cares

Cept you. :flipoff2:

Get that 231 in yet???

zj95
08-03-2007, 01:55 AM
no.... stupid ticket took all my money...

traffic school tomarrow.... son of a......

jfowlzj95
10-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Not much of an update, had to sell the 4Runner. Too many problems, too little time. Mainly just did some routine maintenance, change tranny filter/fluid, flush cooling system, change oil, fixed ebrake, replaced fuel filter, found out the grinding noise upfront was a loose caliper bolt, tightened it up and no more grinding.

Also, with the help of Jerod's write up (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2881) I fixed the rear main seal leak as well as the oil pump. Was pretty simple, just it is a PITA to drop the oil pan, supporting the whole Jeep to where the front axle can drop definatly clears up a lot of space to take the pan off... just make sure you're head isn't under it when it finally comes down :mad:.

Should hopefully be getting a J-20 steering box, if not just a regular Waggy box, by the end of the week or beginning next week. Have been thinking about making my rear LCA's adjustable too (since it would be cheaper than buying a new pair). Also need to get some more trimming done sometime. Anyways, here's some pics for fun...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2020.jpg

Mmm, bottom of the engine block.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2018.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2017.jpg

Main cap with the old seal, and then the cap with the new seal in. EDIT: NOTICE WHICH DIRECTION THE LIP OF THE SEALS ARE FACING, I INSTALLED THE ONE ON THE CAP WRONG (HOPEFULLY THE ONE IN THE BLOCK IS RIGHT). TAKE YOUR TIME AND MAKE SURE ITS RIGHT. I have driven about 300 miles already since doing this and have had no signs of leaks just yet.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2015.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2026.jpg

New and old seal.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2025.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2028.jpg

Old and new pump.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2014.jpg

DJJordache
10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Have been thinking about making my rear LCA's adjustable too (since it would be cheaper than buying a new pair). Also need to get some more trimming done sometime.

or you could just buy my old ones when you come over this weekend:D

TheOtherSide
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Main cap with the old seal, and then the cap with the new seal in.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2015.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2026.jpg

Is it just me... or is the seal backwards from the before photo? The small/large lips on the seals are opposite. Correct me if I'm wrong....
:confused:

And as a side note.... this is great news... I thought the rear main would be a 1 piece seal and I'd have to pull the transmission. Thanks for the link to that rear main seal thread.

tywilson88
10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
your right, i think someone my have a leak later.

jfowlzj95
10-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Shit, you're right good catch. I'm an idiot, see what happens when you rush things? Thanks for pointing that out.

Well it looks like I'll be going back in there next oil change, have driven about 300 miles and haven't seen any sign of leaks yet... hopefully it will hold out until I can fix it.

So here's some more advise to doing the fix, make sure the seals are installed correctly. :punish:

I also edited the first post noting that they are installed wrong, hopefully others can use it and not make the same mistake. On a good note though the Jeep does feel like it runs a little better! :D

zj95
10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
you're missing a bolt on your motor mount

jfowlzj95
10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
you're missing a bolt on your motor mount

Ass, yours is too. :flipoff2:

There is a bolt missing though, funny thing is I've never messed with the mounts on the Jeep. :smt102

jfowlzj95
11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Decided to cut the front bumper and front part of the inner fender since it was starting to take some good chunks out of my tires.

One side done.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2029.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2030.jpg

Here you can see how bad it was rubbing.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2031.jpg

All finished.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2032.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2033.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2034.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2039.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2040.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2042.jpg

All the crap that was cut off.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2037.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be heading down to Katy to show another MCer how awesome 33s are. :flipoff2: Get to play a little tire swap for some free/cheap parts! Also, hopefully it will be alright with him if I cleaned up the cuts some and added some paint to the sides and inner fender while I'm there. :D

Oh I also went underneath and put in the motor mount bolt that was missing, dunno how that disappeared.

corrupt143
11-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Looks good. Thats just about how Ive been thinking about cutting it. Thanks for the preview.

ohtenwillys
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
pfffffff
fffffffffsfffsffsfpffhfhf
fpfff
f

DJJordache
11-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Tomorrow I'll be heading down to Katy to show another MCer how awesome 33s are. :flipoff2: Get to play a little tire swap for some free/cheap parts! Also, hopefully it will be alright with him if I cleaned up the cuts some and added some paint to the sides and inner fender while I'm there. :D

I wonder who that is.... don't worry about the tire swaparoo I already decided to get some Maxxis ones like yours sometime soon. I still have my oily axle "shafts" for you:eek::D

zj95
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
looks good, nice and clean

ILikeMud
11-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I recognize that front bumper cut from some where.....

jfowlzj95
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I recognize that front bumper cut from some where.....

I have noo idea what you're talking about... :D

Yeah only difference on mine is that I didn't go all the way to the 'frame' rail.

Firestarter
11-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Is your jeep doing the gangsta lean or is that sidewalk slanted?

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Is your jeep doing the gangsta lean or is that sidewalk slanted?

I noticed that this weekend, leans to the passenger side. I do have a bunch of crap in the Jeep so tomorrow I'm going to unload it all and take some measurements to see whats going on.

stlcrawlers
11-05-2007, 01:40 AM
hey sorry to ask but where'd you ge that nice tire carrier i need one?

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 01:48 AM
hey sorry to ask but where'd you ge that nice tire carrier i need one?

I bought that one off of Ronnie (WesTexZJ) a while back. It's a Don-a-vee tire carrier, they're about as rare as the Mopar ones. They'll show up every now and then on eBay.

stlcrawlers
11-05-2007, 01:57 AM
is it pretty heavy i only have a 3 inch lift and i already need to coils in the back.

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 02:02 AM
It wasn't too heavy, I'd say about 50 lbs or so... maybe a little more. It does hang down low though, I had it caught up in the ground a few times at 3.5".

DJJordache
11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I noticed that this weekend, leans to the passenger side. I had that on mine and figured it out that it was the way the coil was positioned in the lower bucket... the way it was sitting made the pass side sit about 1/2-3/4 inch lower

jfowlzj95
11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
That's about how much my pass side is sitting too, I'll have to check that out.

DJJordache
11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
yeah for a little while I thought it was my front sway that was bent....

jfowlzj95
11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Picked up a J-20 steering box from NAPA, hope to get it installed over the Thanksgiving break along with doing more trimming for the rear and figuring out a screeching noise.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2057.jpg

jfowlzj95
11-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Started with the J-20 install last night and finished it up earlier this evening. Everything went smooth other than having to put in a little man power to take everything apart. The stock box had a huge amount of play and turning felt really sloppy, which is why I did the upgrade.

Started taking everything apart.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2062.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2064.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2067.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2068.jpg

The stock box next to the J-20 box.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2069.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2070.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2071.jpg

Everything out.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2072.jpg

Here is the template I made to measure, mark, and drill a hole for the 4th bolt to go through. The bolt that is pictured is the same length as the stock ones (don't remember the exact length off hand) but it turned out to be too long, so I actually used the same kind of bolt (7/16") just it was only 3" long.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2074.jpg

Perfect fit.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2077.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2080.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2085.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2087.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2088.jpg

I used a 1/4" bit for a start hole and then finished it off with a 7/16" drill bit.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2081.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2082.jpg

Used a 1/2" long spacer and a washer to make up for the space in between the 'frame' rail and the steering box.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2089.jpg

Flusehed out the old fluid from the pump, tightened all bolts, reconnected the pressure hoses, steering shaft, and pitman arm, then torqued them all to spec.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2091.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2093.jpg

And done.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2095.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2094.jpg

Took the Jeep out for a spin around the block and the steering feel so much better than it was before. Hopefully later on I can get KOR's steering brace to add even more strength to the box. Now I just need to test it out on the trails. :D

DJJordache
11-26-2007, 09:00 AM
have you noticed a difference in turning effort between stock and the new box? Is there a difference in the amount of steering throw?

ILikeMud
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Nice write up.
Where did you buy the box from?

jfowlzj95
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
have you noticed a difference in turning effort between stock and the new box? Is there a difference in the amount of steering throw?

There is a pretty good difference in turning the wheel, not a huge one but much better than my stock box. I feel I don't have to use so much effort making turns as I did before. When I can get it out on the trail we'll see how much effort is really required to turn my massive 33s :flipoff2: and with the 4th mounting point I'm sure I won't have to worry about breaking off a mount. Also, there was so much play in the stock box I was able to turn the steering wheel about 1/8 a turn before I would really get any movement.

Tony, I just got a remanufactured box from NAPA.

corrupt143
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Nice.

piku303
12-11-2007, 09:11 PM
how much did you get that thing for? aside from the fourth bolt you have to make is everything same as if you were replacing it with a stock one? and one more question...was all you used for a guide was the haynes manual? this might be a christmas project.

jfowlzj95
12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
how much did you get that thing for? aside from the fourth bolt you have to make is everything same as if you were replacing it with a stock one? and one more question...was all you used for a guide was the haynes manual? this might be a christmas project.

Got it from Napa for about $185 total, the core charge was $150. I just used the Haynes to remove the stock box, didn't really need it though. But for the install I just followed BigDave's and Ogdak's write up when they installed their PSC 621MR box. Install is pretty basic, just need to measure and drill a hole for the 4th mounting point, find a spacer to put in between the 4th point and the 'frame' rail, and then the rest is just like you're reinstalling the stock box.

BLK97ZJ
12-12-2007, 12:31 AM
great info i have the psc box and its getting really shitty

piku303
12-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Got it from Napa for about $185 total, the core charge was $150. I just used the Haynes to remove the stock box, didn't really need it though. But for the install I just followed BigDave's and Ogdak's write up when they installed their PSC 621MR box. Install is pretty basic, just need to measure and drill a hole for the 4th mounting point, find a spacer to put in between the 4th point and the 'frame' rail, and then the rest is just like you're reinstalling the stock box.

do they normally keep them in stock do you know? or did you have to order it? i think this is going to be my next purchase. also is it for sure that the box is new and has new gears? my box needs replacement just cause its so worn out but i'd hate to buy a "reconditioned" box that has shit inside and does nothing to fix the issue.

jfowlzj95
12-12-2007, 03:24 AM
The box I got is a remanufactured one, but it is well worth it to me. I did have to order it but was able to pick it up from the store the next morning.

jfowlzj95
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Had to replace the idler pulley and drive belt today after the pulley decided to come apart, lucky it went when I was just 50 feet from my house. Also went under to fix an exhaust leak that showed up a few weeks ago. While I was at it, I decided to have a little fun and got a video of open headers.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/?action=view&current=MVI_2236.flv

Oh and here's the welder that I was given for Christmas. :D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2224.jpg

ohtenwillys
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
looks like youre gonna be braiding some pubes

zj95
02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
alrighty then....

Rico.... umm....... YOUR A HOMO

jfowlzj95
02-02-2008, 04:15 AM
looks like youre gonna be braiding some pubes

WTF?! :confused:

Anyways, might as well update this... kinda. Just recently, as in yesterday, I got a pretty good deal on a Dana 300. Just got an email from the guy saying it was bad so now he can't sell it. However he did have 2 cases so tomorrow I'm gonna call and see what's up.

jfowlzj95
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
So I finally got the Amsoil filter and pre-filter put on. Jeep is still some what not drivable, but I plan to get it fixed this week so I can go wheelin Saturday. As for the D300, the first deal didn't go through but I was able to find another for about the same price, so I will be getting a D300 pretty soon after all. :D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2281.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2280.jpg

jfowlzj95
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Just picked up 1 of 2 D300's that I've got, don't know what it is with me and collecting parts...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2285.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2289.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2288.jpg

Got the Jeep fixed, 2 plug wires were resting on the headers and eventually burned through. Changed those along with the cap, rotor, and plugs. Going wheelin out at BVORR this Saturday with TX4WD, and then probably going again with TAMOR on Sunday. Should be fun, I haven't wheeled in ages.

DJJordache
02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Got the Jeep fixed, 2 plug wires were resting on the headers and eventually burned through. just like i said, shorting them out through the block:D
u building a doubler?

ILikeMud
02-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Nice man.

I find collecting up parts is fun, you just know that things are going to change.
I've got a ton of parts but I still need more before I can put them on my Heep.

jfowlzj95
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
just like i said, shorting them out through the block:D
u building a doubler?

Haha yeah you did, thanks for the help. Yeah when the time comes I'll hopefully be using it for a 231/300 doubler.

I've got a ton of parts but I still need more before I can put them on my Heep.

Same here, just need to get/build some longarms and a few other stuff.

ILikeMud
02-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Oh god, I have way to much left to buy and I'm not gonna be buying another for a bit.

On the topic of steering boxes though, will a 79 FSJ Cherokee Chief steering box be any good as a replacement for the stock one?

jfowlzj95
02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
If it's got 4 mounting points instead of 3 thats already better than stock, as for the internals I'm not too sure how much better it is. But I think you'll have a problem with the stock fluid lines bolting up since its a 79 and doesn't have the o-ring style fittings. Try finding something from 1980 or newer that will have the right fittings on the lines.

ILikeMud
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks mang!

RuggleS
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
wat does the j-20 box come in for stock?

is having the 4th mounting hole the main point to doing thr swap just for the mounting strength?

AgitatedPancake
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM

is having the 4th mounting hole the main point to doing thr swap just for the mounting strength?

Maybe it came in a J-20...Just a guess.

http://images.fourwheeler.com/adventures/129_0708_32_z+jeep_j20+passenger_side_view.jpg

ZJ Pappy
02-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Are you asking what truck a J-20 steering box comes in?:rofl:

ZJ Pappy
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, the 4th bolt hole is primarily for mounting strength.

jfowlzj95
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM

lol well I think you get the idea now where the J20 box comes from. ;)

Having the 4th mounting point is a big reason for the swap, same with the Waggy and J10 steering boxes. The thing about the J20 though is that the piston and bore diameter is much larger than the stock/Waggy/J10 boxes. I believe I read the J20's diameter was 3.5" vs. the other's 2.75".

RuggleS
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
ya but is that same box found in any other vehicle i guess is wat i was asking. my bad :booya:

wat other booxes are used for swaping in also ?

jfowlzj95
02-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Those that I listed, some swap in the Durango boxes but they only have 3 mounting points, and the 621-MR box from PSC was a good swap until some started to fail on people.

CTXZJ
02-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Hey this is Matt from TAMOR. The guy with the 95 ZJ. I was just going to tell you I posted new pics with the 37's.

Are you going to be at the next meeting? I wanted to look where you cut your front "bumper" again. I think i'm going to do the same.

jfowlzj95
02-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Hey this is Matt from TAMOR. The guy with the 95 ZJ. I was just going to tell you I posted new pics with the 37's.

Are you going to be at the next meeting? I wanted to look where you cut your front "bumper" again. I think i'm going to do the same.

Hey Matt, I'll check those pics out in a bit, I still need to figure out how to post on the TAMOR site.. I don't think my email cleared or something. But yeah I'll be there Wednesday, I'm actually thinking about trimming some more off the front. Probably will do that Tuesday, but I'll show you what exactly I did with the first cut.

DJJordache
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't think my email cleared or something.

mine didn't either!

CTXZJ
02-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Matt, I'll check those pics out in a bit, I still need to figure out how to post on the TAMOR site.. I don't think my email cleared or something. But yeah I'll be there Wednesday, I'm actually thinking about trimming some more off the front. Probably will do that Tuesday, but I'll show you what exactly I did with the first cut.

Sweet, are you going to cut it right next to the "frame"?

mine didn't either!

I think they are having a few technical difficulties with the site.

jfowlzj95
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah I'm thinking about going there and then doing a little more fender trimming while I'm at it.

jfowlzj95
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Decided to trim the rear fender today, they were beating up my tires pretty bad. It was pretty simple, mark where you're gonna cut with masking tape and cut away. I got some more of the door edge guard to put over the outer panel that way it isn't so sharp. I was running out of daylight so I only did the passenger side, will finish the drivers tomorrow along will cutting the front all the way to the 'frame' rail. This weekend I'll pick up a rivet gun to keep the panels together.

Can see how much the tires were rubbing.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2372.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2373.jpg

Finished.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2376.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2378.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2377.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2382.jpg

jfowlzj95
02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Finished up the rear trimming today and also cut up the front bumper some more. Now I just need to find a place for the horn that those damn airbag sensors. Anyone know if I can just disconnect these and not have the airbag going off in my face?

Finished driver side.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2385.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2386.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2387.jpg

Finished front bumper chop, had a cutting disc shatter on me.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2383.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2384.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2392.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2393.jpg

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Why the fuck do you people copy my bumper chop?!?!?!
(I can't wait to chop up the new ZJ)

jfowlzj95
02-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Why the fuck do you people copy my bumper chop?!?!?!
(I can't wait to chop up the new ZJ)

Well, at least it's better than copying your fender chop. :D

zj95
02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
oh burn!!

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 01:07 AM
You go to hell!
You go to hell and you die!

zj95
02-21-2008, 01:27 AM
eh?

piku303
02-21-2008, 02:46 AM
you need some front end protection man! looks like its time to fab up a bumper.

JordanA
02-21-2008, 02:47 AM
that's funny.

jfowlzj95
02-21-2008, 02:55 AM

Care to donate some money? ;)

A bumper will come someday, just need the time and money to make it.

DJJordache
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
yeah I like the bumper chop.... mine is getting the chop soon too

ILikeMud
02-21-2008, 11:47 AM

I never had a problem with the bumper chopped like that.
I'll be doing it to mine once it warms up. Of course I'll be building a bumper shortly after.

jfowlzj95
02-21-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah I like the bumper chop.... mine is getting the chop soon too

I'll be in Houston this weekend for a wedding, me and Rico can drop by and chop your bumper for you. :smt047

piku303
02-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Care to donate some money? ;)

A bumper will come someday, just need the time and money to make it.

looks like you already got a welder. drop 100 bucks on steel and grinding disks and you got a bumper!

piku303
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
hey man how are the buckshots holding up?

jfowlzj95
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
hey man how are the buckshots holding up?

They're the Bighorns, but they're holding out great. I haven't been able to drive the Jeep in a month, but I'd say I have about 10K miles total on them (mostly highway miles) and theres probably 85%+ tread left.

piku303
05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
They're the Bighorns, but they're holding out great. I haven't been able to drive the Jeep in a month, but I'd say I have about 10K miles total on them (mostly highway miles) and theres probably 85%+ tread left.

yeah my bad i meant bighorns. ive got the buckshots right now. i had a bad wheel bearing and the one tire wore like shit. probably had something to do with it bein out of balance as well...oops. what do they ride like on and offroad compared to the BFG MT's. i really love the price of the maxxis off ebay but im thinking of paying up for the BFGs just cause of the quality ive heard of.

jfowlzj95
05-02-2008, 02:11 PM
yeah my bad i meant bighorns. ive got the buckshots right now. i had a bad wheel bearing and the one tire wore like shit. probably had something to do with it bein out of balance as well...oops. what do they ride like on and offroad compared to the BFG MT's. i really love the price of the maxxis off ebay but im thinking of paying up for the BFGs just cause of the quality ive heard of.

Both tires perform about the same on and off the road. I'd just prefer the Bighorns over the BFG's because of the price.

Derek33
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I like that bumper chop. I was thinking about doing the same, then welding something similar to this out front. http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SNGHOOPSWB&Category_Code=DPL

jfowlzj95
06-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Not exactly sure what I'll do with mine. Main purpose was to clear out the sheet metal that was taking chunks out of my 33s.

Haven't really done much with the Jeep this summer, swapped in the new 46RH with a B&M trans cooler. Has been working out great, it's been nice to finally drive the Jeep around every once in a while... although filling it up sucks! Finally installed the Teraflex LCA's I got from Jordan a while back, just mainly been repairing everything I've been breaking. :D

Plan on doing a few wheelin trips with a little time left in summer, going to try and head out to Marble Falls in a week or so. Then sometime in mid-July me and a few buddies are gonna try to spend a weekend out at BVORR. Just need to tune up the Jeep a bit and order a new front drive shaft from Tom Woods.

Here are useless pics. :)

This is what the old transmission pan looked like.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2615.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2614.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2613.jpg

Old and new/used transmission.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2622.jpg

It's a pain pulling the trans.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2620.jpg

With a bunch of wires.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2628.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2632.jpg

When removing the transmission, be careful not to break the CPS like I did.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2636.jpg

New CPS.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2637.jpg

Didn't have any room up front, so I had to do this all on our back porch... all the way till 2 in the morning. :D
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2635.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2639.jpg

jfowlzj95
07-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Finally got my front driveshaft in, I'm heading out to College Station in a few minutes. Gonna go out to BVORR Sunday and wheel with TX4WD, get to test out the new driveshaft and see how this new tranny does in 4wd. :D

And finally got a pic of the cooler installed, whoop. Will post wheelin pics sometime later this weekend.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2666.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2667.jpg

zj95
07-14-2008, 02:17 AM
fowl is loving his d35 right now... haha

jfowlzj95
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM
fowl is loving his d35 right now... haha

Oh hell yeah, the D35 is the SHIT!

Carnage from the day...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2674.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2675.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2676.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2677.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2673.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2672.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2669.jpg

Had to drive home in FWD, had a friend try to weld the spider gears... made it about 10 ft and the welds broke. Theres a few small things else I broke, tore off some weather stripping, had some more rubbing, might have broken my steering box, few more dents here and there. Other peoples carnage included a flipped Scout, broken front driveshaft on a Ford F-100, Rico's dead battery... what a day.

Jsk8r1
07-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Haha you suck at life fag

Matt
07-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Haha you suck at life fag

:eek: :doh:

Geeze, and I thought my ZJ was giving me hell.

DJJordache
07-14-2008, 09:07 AM
hey John do you need some spare d35 spider gears? I was about to throw mine out in the trash.... let me know and I might be able to still save them...

jfowlzj95
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
hey John do you need some spare d35 spider gears? I was about to throw mine out in the trash.... let me know and I might be able to still save them...

Hey Jordan, yeah I'll take them if you haven't thrown them away yet. If you have already it's no biggie. Would just need them to get the Jeep back to my house (sitting at a friends right now). This is about it for this axle, as soon as I get a little more practice with the welder, some gears and disc brakes, the 9" is going in after sitting for 2 years. :D

dp96zj
07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Damn that looked like a hell of a weekend, I shoulda went.

Oh well, that gives you a good excuse to get the 35 the hell outta there!

jfowlzj95
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Actually on second thought I can't take the gears, we tried to weld the them up last night as a temp fix so they're in there for good haha. So go ahead and throw them out, thanks for the offer though.

Oh well, that gives you a good excuse to get the 35 the hell outta there!

Yep, just need to find a good place to keep the Jeep, bring the welder up to College Station, and install the 9". :D

jfowlzj95
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
It's been a while, got a few things done..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2923.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2915.jpg

paulkeith
11-07-2008, 10:00 AM
define commitment: axle swap in a parking lot

hell yeah dude.

tank
11-07-2008, 09:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/JeepnTX/BVORR%20101/P2080118.jpg
i thought i remembered that zj at bvorr we were there a few times with the texasjeepowners group

jfowlzj95
11-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Went to Denton, TX (about 220 miles away) this weekend to pick this up. D44 out of a J-20, obviously 8 lug, has 3.73 gears (same that are in the 9" right now) and it is complete. So all that it needs are brackets and new brakes.

I think I'll install it into the minivan..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2934.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2936.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2939.jpg

jfowlzj95
12-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Quick update, all brackets are welded onto the 9". Will be putting the drums back together today, and then the whole axle (minus the third member) together tomorrow. Will get some pics when it's all finished. So sometime next week I should expect the Heep to be running again. Just gotta wait on a few more parts and then drive out to College Station to install it. :D

DJJordache
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I was starting to think it would never leave the jackstands:D

jfowlzj95
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I was starting to think it would never leave the jackstands:D

Haha yeah the way things were going it looked like it was gonna sit untouched until summer. Almost every day my roommates would ask if I was ever going to fix it.

Lucky Jeff
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
damn, I thought I was going to be fine with the 3.5" lift and 31's.. you just cost me more money :eek:. Looks like it's gunna take a few nights of :partyman: in the garage to catch up. I like the 33's and 3.5" :cool:, beats the 6.5" and 33's I had on my 93 years ago :gayflag:

jsteves
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Went to Denton, TX (about 220 miles away) this weekend to pick this up. D44 out of a J-20, obviously 8 lug, has 3.73 gears (same that are in the 9" right now) and it is complete. So all that it needs are brackets and new brakes.

I think I'll install it into the minivan..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2934.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2936.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2939.jpg

Who needs a truck when you can haul with the mini van!

jfowlzj95
12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Who needs a truck when you can haul with the mini van!

Haha, I should just forget the Jeep and wheel the van. ;)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2924.jpg

jfowlzj95
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Painted the axle today, dunno if I'll keep that color for sure. Was trying to go for a darker maroon but none of the auto stores in the area have any. Will check some hardware stores before I install it to see if I can get any darker. Waiting on wheels, adapters, and brake lines to come in on Friday, then most likely Friday night I'll head out to College Station and spend the weekend to install it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2973.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2971.jpg

dp96zj
12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
now why would you want a color like that? :flipoff2:

jsteves
12-31-2008, 09:49 PM
who cares what color it is...just get it under there!

jfowlzj95
01-08-2009, 07:30 PM
So things didn't go as planned, haven't installed the axle yet. But I did convert it to disc brakes. :D

Just need to weld on the caliper brackets, then I'll try again...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_2990.jpg

jfowlzj95
01-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Here's the progress so far... gonna head back out in a little bit to set up the brake lines and do a few other adjustments. Fluids and bleeding the lines will be done tomorrow, Heep should be driveable by the afternoon. Wewt!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3020.jpg

jfowlzj95
01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Got the axle finished and the Heep up and running Sunday afternoon, been having too much fun driving it around to take pics. I'll post another update later with what all has been done and what still needs work. But here it is...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3028.jpg

dp96zj
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
:eek:

It lives!

DJJordache
01-22-2009, 09:56 AM
haha finally!

jfowlzj95
02-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Still need to get pics together of everything, just have been super busy with school and whatnot. Next weekend is a bachelor/wheelin party with TAMOR. Should be able to post some wheelin pics as well as the build pics.

Had some free time to dovetail a buddies Ranger, still needs a lot of work but it turned out pretty nice. Got some poser shots with it too.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3132.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/DSC05819.jpg

Not too bad for short arm flex. ;)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/DSC05818.jpg

Have been having problems with my K&N intake tube bending at the throttle body, so I ditched it for a Turbo City intake with Amsoil filters from Dirk. Free's up a ton of space.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3151.jpg

Along with that I found a pretty good deal on a 44/9 from a 77 F150 that I'm gonna pick up Saturday. Will be keeping that 44 and selling the 8 lug one I have along with the other 9", so check the for sale forum soon if you think you might be interested.

Other than that I think I'm broke again. :D But within the next from months the Heep will be undergoing some major changes.

CTeunuch
02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
what back bumper are you running? the jeep looks nice, cant wait to see it finished.

it usually runs fine
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
its a death hi lift customs bumper it would run you a smooth grand at a local shop good deal i think lol

jfowlzj95
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
what back bumper are you running? the jeep looks nice, cant wait to see it finished.

Its the stock 'bumper' that's under the plastic cover, I just painted it black.

its a death hi lift customs bumper it would run you a smooth grand at a local shop good deal i think lol

Haha I just told that story in the chit-chat forum.

And for an update, here's my Valentine's Day gift to myself. :smt026

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3172.jpg

Got the weld on wedges so they can easily be removed without retubing.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3168.jpg

NIK5.9
02-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Off the subject but I love that Ranger, me and my bro are building his with a D44 and 9" as well, except his is an 1st gen ranger.

jfowlzj95
02-16-2009, 03:38 AM
Off the subject but I love that Ranger, me and my bro are building his with a D44 and 9" as well, except his is an 1st gen ranger.

Yeah this guy helped me build up my 9". His Ranger has come a long way, solid axle swap, 9" rear, dovetailed, and then sometime soon I think he wants to run air shocks in the rear, so we'll 4-link the rear, run extended Ford radius arms up front with coilovers, yada yada yada. Lots of plans, so little time and money haha.

NIK5.9
02-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Lots of plans, so little time and money haha.

Same here

tatez71
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Saw your ZJ at the park today. Lookin good!!!

Eluzj95
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
sweet rig, thats crazy we have similar usernames/rigs, crazy

Goosed76
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Nice ranger. I had a mint 87' STX a few years ago- wish I never would have sold it, but that 2.9L was garbage, blew a head gasket at 85k(not even running her hard) and cracked both heads. If the ZJ dies, I'll be getting another Ranger most likely...

jfowlzj95
03-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Went wheelin out at Boulder Creek in Marble Falls, TX this weekend. Wheeled Friday and Saturday, it was raining everyday the week before so it made it nice and slick. Killed my 30 on a hill, here's the carnage. I'll post a trip report sometime later...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3271.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3272.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3273.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3275.jpg

Goosed76
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Ah, totally fixable.

J/K- it's toast.

MoonWorks
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice! Been there 2 times before (just on the 30)! Sucks every time...lol.

Edit...what ratio are you at?

jfowlzj95
03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Edit...what ratio are you at?

It's stock 3.73s

Derek33
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Jesus. Nice carnage.

You have the pedal pinned going up the hill, or what?

dp96zj
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Not a fan of stock axles, are ya?

jfowlzj95
03-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Jesus. Nice carnage.

You have the pedal pinned going up the hill, or what?

Yeah I was trying a hill I had to be pulled up on earlier in the day...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3213.jpg

Would get my front tires up onto the ledge, then the rear would get caught up. It was a mix of rocks and loose dirt/mud so it made it pretty difficult without real lockers. On the 2nd attempt later in the day I kept getting further and further up, so I was determined to make it. Romped on the 30 for a good 5-10 mins till it finally blew.

Of course not, that's why I've got 2-3 complete spare axles sitting in my shed. :D Now if only they were ready to bolt in...

jfowlzj95
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Apparently I like to break aftermarket axles too. 9" locked up on me earlier today, pulled the 3rd and it looks like part of the carrier is cracked and when I spin the gears you can hear something loose inside the carrier.

jfowlzj95
03-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Pulled the 3rd member and found this at the bottom of the housing along with a crack in the carrier...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Carnage/IMG_3287.jpg

DJJordache
03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
hot damn jon! already tearing your shit up!

jfowlzj95
03-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Ha, yeah. I'm starting to get too familiar with this, now every time I pop a diff cover off I'll be expecting to see broken gear teeth fall out.

MoonWorks
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Ha, yeah. I'm starting to get too familiar with this, now every time I pop a diff cover off I'll be expecting to see broken gear teeth fall out.

That's the reason why I haven't bought a diff cover with a drain plug. I only change the fluid when I pull the cover to swap some broken shit. :rolleyes:

jfowlzj95
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy... Thanks to MoonWorks for getting me these from Clayton...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3297.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3309.jpg

jfowlzj95
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
That's the reason why I haven't bought a diff cover with a drain plug. I only change the fluid when I pull the cover to swap some broken shit. :rolleyes:

It pissed me off when I was draining the 9", pulled the 3rd and nothing came out. There was still a little fluid left at the bottom of the housing, so I reached in with a rag to soak it up and I find broken gear teeth. :mad:

MoonWorks
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Glad everything came in for you Jon. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the build pans out! Its always a pleasure doing business with you.

jfowlzj95
03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Glad everything came in for you Jon. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the build pans out! Its always a pleasure doing business with you.

Same here Matt. Once summer comes around the build should really kick off... hopefully haha. You'll be hearing from me again around that time. :D

jfowlzj95
06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
The black header panel for the lights broke on me a while back, and I was getting tired of the headlights and turn signals bouncing around so I decided to do what SirFuego and zj95 did and made my own.

I used headlights from an XJ and right now I've only got one light for the turn signal, I'll add in a side marker sometime later. The passenger side headlight is a little dull so I'll be replacing it to make them brighter.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3360.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3361.jpg

dp96zj
06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
oh lord, not another robot!

jfowlzj95
06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Haha SirFuego's still looks more like a robot than mine. But even though I haven't been able to test it at night, I can already tell these lights are way brighter than the crappy stock ZJ lights. Plus I don't have to mess with that POS header panel anymore.

You should do this to yours when you get to College Station. ;)

dp96zj
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Someone up in CS has to have a normal looking ZJ!

jfowlzj95
06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
We'll let Hunter's ZJ be it. :D

zj95
06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
look good man, how did you end up making your mounting brackets? easy to aim them?

jfowlzj95
06-10-2009, 10:25 PM
look good man, how did you end up making your mounting brackets? easy to aim them?

They're fixed where they are, welded them just like you did. I was surprised I actually got them to aim at the same level, passenger side might aim a little lower but other than that they're pretty much dead on. Guess if I did want to aim them I could probably add washers or something behind the mounting bolts, dunno how well that would work though.

DJJordache
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
You should do this to yours when you get to College Station. ;)

Someone up in CS has to have a normal looking ZJ!
WTF! another freaking Aggie!:finga:

zj95
06-10-2009, 11:56 PM
i used some thin rubber tubing behind mine to aim them. i was surprized how well mine aimed too. and they are hella bright

jfowlzj95
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Some poser pics at Katemcy with the new headlights, so now I can say I 'wheeled' Katemcy before it closed. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/gijoe4500/katemcy/IMG_0427.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/gijoe4500/katemcy/IMG_0429.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/gijoe4500/katemcy/IMG_0431.jpg

jfowlzj95
06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Starting to gather more parts again. Order some Trail-Gear Creeper joints through MoonWorks for the rear suspension.

Just a little heads up about what's going on, I should be getting the Clayton frame brackets welded on sometime soon. Once they're on I'll be making the rear link, this is my slow way of installing longarms. Plan on using 2.25" OD .375" wall DOM for the lowers, then 1.75" OD .120 wall DOM for the uppers with the creeper joints on all ends. Once I get the frame brackets on I can start figuring out the length of the links.

As for the front, I want to do a true 3-link but I might wait to do that later. Until then, I'll probably just do radius arms with 1 upper attached to a lower. Again once I get all the frame brackets welded on, I can start figuring out link length and exactly what I'm gonna do with the front.

Also bought a Taurus e-fan slightly used off eBay. Would like to see cooler temps in this hot Texas weather, plus after installing a new water pump I really want to get rid of the clutch fan.

I also ordered Cherrybomb's extreme muffler, the Flowmaster 50 I had on was going to be in the way of the rear brackets so a shorter one was in need. The Cherrybomb is around 10" long, Flowmaster was around 20", so it should free up a lot of space for the new brackets. It's got a nice deep tone to it, I'll post up a sound clip of it sometime.

Update posts are worthless without pics. :D

Heavy box of joints.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3588.jpg

Beefy joints.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3589.jpg

E-fan.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3590.jpg

dp96zj
06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
How much did the e-fan run ya?

jfowlzj95
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
I think was about $60 + shipping, I'll have to check my eBay account.

jfowlzj95
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Brackets will be welded on Monday (7/6), so depending on when I go to Spring Creek and when I can get some tube for the links, the rear suspension could be done as soon as next weekend. Heep is finally coming together, however I'm starting to have some issues with the 5.2 :mad:

sasdranger
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
pending when i can weld the truss on :smt069

I'm feelin pretty lazy :D

jfowlzj95
07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Clayton frame brackets are welded up, should be ordering the tube later this week... hopefully. If that happens I could have the rear suspension done by the end of the weekend or sometime next week...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3594.jpg

DJJordache
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
your ground is WAY too far away from the weld! looks good though:D

CTeunuch
07-08-2009, 07:08 PM
your ground is WAY too far away from the weld! looks good though:D
x2. and i'd throw on a long sleeve shirt, that spatter doesn't feel too good...

dp96zj
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Is that even you welding in the pic, Jon?

jfowlzj95
07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Ha yeah that's not me, that's one of Matt's buddies who's a welder for a living. I had mentioned the ground being so far away but he was getting good enough penetration, so I just let him work.

On a side note, I have a 'leak' coming from the back of the driver side head. Looks like I probably blew the header gasket, something for me to look forward to fixing this weekend.. :(

sasdranger
07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah I was trying a hill I had to be pulled up on earlier in the day...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3213.jpg

Would get my front tires up onto the ledge, then the rear would get caught up. It was a mix of rocks and loose dirt/mud so it made it pretty difficult without real lockers. On the 2nd attempt later in the day I kept getting further and further up, so I was determined to make it. Romped on the 30 for a good 5-10 mins till it finally blew.

5-10 minutes my ass! the video was 10 minutes long when the memory card filled up and the battery died :booya:

x2. and i'd throw on a long sleeve shirt, that spatter doesn't feel too good...

believe it or not, thats the MOST clothing i've ever seen him wearing while he's welding.. generally its flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt and no gloves :rolleyes:

jfowlzj95
07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Woo here we go again...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3624.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3625.jpg

The 9" is out so it's time to start mocking up things and building the rear longarms. This is probably as far as I'll go on this for the day, I'm gonna be helping a buddy install a new clutch so that will take up the rest of the day. Hopefully by tomorrow or Wednesday I'll have the old upper brackets cut off, truss tacked in place, and the links all measured and cut out ready to be welded up Thursday. If all goes to plan I should have the rear suspension done by the weekend.

Friday I recieved a new throttle body from Dan (TheFastman.com), my old TB had a crack in it plus I wanted a little better throttle response. This is by far my favorite performance mod since I installed headers and the exhaust system 3 years ago, the throttle response is amazing. First time test driving it I nearly rolled it going around a corner since the pedal is so 'touchy' :D.

Stock on the left, Fastman's modified one on right
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3613.jpg
Smooth n shiny
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3620.jpg
The crack
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3621.jpg

sasdranger
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
cause a crack on the outside like that really effected it :smt014

hahah anyways.. Get that shit figured out, I have to take a final thursday so that cuts down on the time i'll have to weld up the links.

when are we gonna weld the truss on? Saturday? We should probably do better than "meh, that looks good" this time :flipoff2:

jfowlzj95
07-20-2009, 02:26 PM
cause a crack on the outside like that really effected it :smt014

I think that crack had a pretty decent effect on it..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3623.jpg

That little crack made a 1/4" gap between the throttle body and the intake hat. After installing the new TB the idle is no longer shitty and it doesn't sputter like it did when we were driving back from the lake.

We can do the welded Saturday, then install and flex it all Fuggit Fab style. :flipoff2:

sasdranger
07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I think that crack had a pretty decent effect on it..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3623.jpg

That little crack made a 1/4" gap between the throttle body and the intake hat. After installing the new TB the idle is no longer shitty and it doesn't sputter like it did when we were driving back from the lake.

We can do the welded Saturday, then install and flex it all Fuggit Fab style. :flipoff2:

1/4" mah ass! :smt075

I just remembered i'm probably gonna go to boulder this weekend. sooooo you should get those links ready to weld by.... tomorrow morning? and i'll weld the truss wednesday after work, k? kthx

DJJordache
07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
yeah I know I'm a douche for not getting you the arms measurements yet:D I just got back in town about an hour ago from San Antonio long ass day!

jfowlzj95
07-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Haha no worries Jordan, I got some measurements.

Truss is tacked on, links will be cut out and welded tomorrow.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3635.jpg

dp96zj
07-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Update?

:finga:

jfowlzj95
07-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Update? :finga:

K fine, almost there... ish

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3640.jpg

zj95maxx
07-31-2009, 01:24 AM
good thing you have that magnet on your fenderwell, the pinch welds would fail without it:smt046

jfowlzj95
07-31-2009, 01:31 AM
good thing you have that magnet on your fenderwell, the pinch welds would fail without it:smt046

Ja, there was a third one for the rear of the fenderwell. Dunno where it went, guess I should go find it.

jfowlzj95
08-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Actually finished this last weekend, just have been too busy/lazy to take some pics. My brake line set up is a little ghetto but I've got some braided stainless steel lines on order from Speedway Motors.

Heep drives great, I can already tell how much better it rides even with just the rear done... now I'm ready to start the front. I'll be out of town all next week so hopefully I'll be able to get the front done when I get back depending on if I have any work that last week before school starts back up.

The front is going to be pushed forward some, but so far I love the stance it has.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3665.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3667.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Summer%20Build/IMG_3675.jpg

zjeepin
08-15-2009, 09:22 AM
nice clean job man. my only recommendation is to tie your upper link truss into the axle housing in the center somehow. I built one like yours and bent it on the first trip out. I've repaired others on the trail that were gusseted in every direction possible that bent.

Just bring a plate down from the hoop to the housing and you won't have to worry about it.

jfowlzj95
08-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah a buddy (sasdranger) actually brought that up, might as well take advantage of being able to weld onto the whole 9" housing. The plan later is to take some plate from the center, like you said, down to the housing, possibly plate around where the ring gear is, and then probably run some gussets at the ends of the truss where it connects to the housing.

zjeepin
08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah a buddy actually brought that up, might as well take advantage of being able to weld onto the whole 9" housing. The plan later is to take some plate from the center, like you said, down to the housing, possibly plate around where the ring gear is, and then probably run some gussets at the ends of the truss where it connects to the housing.

yeah, brace that bitch up. Its a whole lot easier to do at home in your garage than out in the middle of nowhere.. especially if you don't wheel with someone with and onboard welder.. nice job on the LA's though

ATL ZJ
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
yeah, brace that bitch up. Its a whole lot easier to do at home in your garage than out in the middle of nowhere.. especially if you don't wheel with someone with and onboard welder.. nice job on the LA's though

x2, luckily in these parts we are fortunate enough to have an all terrain steel stitcher. Most of us would have been up a creek at least once without it. Forward support of a truss is the best design change you can make to it.

MoonWorks
08-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Looks good Jon! Looks like a SYE might be in order soon by the look of that second pic that you posted.

jfowlzj95
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys, extra support on the truss will be done as soon as I can get settled in with school... hopefully before the Gilmer trip.

Looks good Jon! Looks like a SYE might be in order soon by the look of that second pic that you posted.

Thanks Matt, I've been wanting to do an SYE/fixed yoke by installing the D300 I've got laying around. But I keep spending my time/money on other projects, I've been doing research here and there on running a flipped 300 just have never found the time to really do it. It's in the plans though, hopefully soon. :rolleyes:

sasdranger
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
nice clean job man. my only recommendation is to tie your upper link truss into the axle housing in the center somehow. I built one like yours and bent it on the first trip out. I've repaired others on the trail that were gusseted in every direction possible that bent.

Just bring a plate down from the hoop to the housing and you won't have to worry about it.

sounds vaguely familiar to what i told him as i welded the truss on :shake:

:flipoff2:

Thanks guys, extra support on the truss will be done as soon as I can get settled in with school... hopefully before the Gilmer trip.

Thanks Matt, I've been wanting to do an SYE/fixed yoke by installing the D300 I've got laying around. But I keep spending my time/money on other projects, I've been doing research here and there on running a flipped 300 just have never found the time to really do it. It's in the plans though, hopefully soon. :rolleyes:

Bring that bitch up this weekend, we can weld what needs to be welded while i have the welder out.

jfowlzj95
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
sounds vaguely familiar to what i told him as i welded the truss on :shake:

Bring that bitch up this weekend, we can weld what needs to be welded while i have the welder out.

I gave you credit-ish. :flipoff2:

9" will have to wait till another trip, this weekend I'm just gonna do the skid and front links.

sasdranger
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
nooooooooooo... i meant bring the D300, or take it apart and bring the shell. We can weld up the holes that need to be welded up to flip it.

i dont see me getting any credit :flipoff2:

jfowlzj95
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
nooooooooooo... i meant bring the D300, or take it apart and bring the shell. We can weld up the holes that need to be welded up to flip it.

i dont see me getting any credit :flipoff2:

Ohh that, still no time for it. Later this winter we'll weld it up.

Check post #216. :flipoff2:

sasdranger
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
yea yea yea

you called me Matt at the top of the page ya wanker.

TREPS!
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/zabeard/wellsville09/th_MVI_0277.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/zabeard/wellsville09/?action=view&current=MVI_0277.flv)

jfowlzj95
09-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a bad habit of collecting parts... and other peoples parts.

6 axles total... a buddies D44 (the orange one), my D44, a buddies 9", dp96zj's 8.8, a D30/35, my old stock transmission, NP231, NP249, D300, and plenty of spare parts. :smt101

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3680.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3681.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3682.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3684.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3685.jpg

sasdranger
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
don't forget the radius arms you need to bring to austin for me haha

jfowlzj95
09-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Good thing I'm going with longarms...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/IMG_3689.jpg

This is the front upper on the driver side, passenger side seems to be fine.

sasdranger
09-13-2009, 02:26 AM
oh shit... i didn't realize that was on your jeep.

jfowlzj95
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Finished the front a few hours ago, I'll take some better pics tomorrow when its light and not raining. Now time to make the hour and a half drive back to College Station and see how it rides.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3692.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3690.jpg

dp96zj
09-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Check the torques before you head out! I'll see ya at Whataburger

sasdranger
09-14-2009, 12:51 AM
torques? Idk if Jon knows what a torque wrench is :finga:

:partyman:

jfowlzj95
09-14-2009, 11:20 PM
torques? Idk if Jon knows what a torque wrench is :finga:

:partyman:

Wat iz torque?

It's not light out, but I turned on the flash this time so you can actually see whats in the pics. :D

Front is a '3-link' radius arm set up, lowers are 2" x .250" wall DOM and the upper is 1.75" x .120" wall. Rear is Clayton's 4-link with the same size uppers and lowers as the front. Overall it was pretty simple, I went off of the Clayton brackets and just built the links myself with a mix of Trail-Gear Creeper joints and Ballistic Poly joints, the single upper uses a 7/8" heim joint. Ride is so much smoother than with the short arms (and broken upper mount), now I just need to see how well is does off road. After all the time spent on this I'm really happy on how it turned out.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3693.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3694.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3695.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3697.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3701.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3706.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3707.jpg

dp96zj
09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Looks like crap :flipoff2:

jfowlzj95
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
So in order to get ready for Gilmer Oct 9th here is what I have to do.

1. Finish front longarms - done
2. Regear D30 - done
3. Regear and install spool for 9" - done
4. Build belly skid
5. Add more support to 9" truss
6. Redo rear brakelines
7. Trim front some more
8. Zerk fittings

Got a lot to do with a little over 3 weeks left.

jfowlzj95
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Looks like crap :flipoff2:

It's what your 8.8 is gonna look like. :flipoff2:

dp96zj
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
It's what your 8.8 is gonna look like. :flipoff2:

It wont look like anything if the brackets never get here! Oh yeah, if that d30 lasts through the next wheeling trip, I get your front 44.

jfowlzj95
09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
It wont look like anything if the brackets never get here! Oh yeah, if that d30 lasts through the next wheeling trip, I get your front 44.

It's gotta last this trip and Katemcy in February, and the random outings to BVORR. Buy me a 60 and I'll give you the 44. :cool:

sasdranger
09-15-2009, 03:00 AM
if his 30 survives Gilmer with my drunken rambling from the passenger seat trying to get him to do stupid shit.. i'll be impressed.

sasdranger
09-15-2009, 03:16 AM
It's gotta last this trip and Katemcy in February, and the random outings to BVORR. Buy me a 60 and I'll give you the 44. :cool:

Don't forget Clines.. or i can rent a bigger trailer and we can take the ranger to clines.

NIK5.9
09-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Why are you spending the money to re gear the Dana 30 if you have a D44? Might as well do it right the first time and build the D44 and slide it under.

dp96zj
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Why are you spending the money to re gear the Dana 30 if you have a D44? Might as well do it right the first time and build the D44 and slide it under.

Most likely cause he already has the d30 carrier from another spare axle (which is free), and he's lazy :D

ZJ4.Slow
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Most likely cause he already has the d30 carrier from another spare axle (which is free), and he's lazy :D

Ill take the dana 30 since mine doesn't have a live axle in the front :prayer:

zj95maxx
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jeepmutt/Suspension%20Build/IMG_3701.jpg

You have to remove the arm to grease it?

Should have installed it the other way then removed the zerk so it doesn't get smashed.

Not that I grease my arms on a regular basis at all..which I should.. but just saying!

MoonWorks
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
So you want to remove the zerk so grease comes out and dirt gets in? He installed it the right way so the zerk is still in place and won't get damaged. It's not like you have to grease them a lot anyway. So if he can't get a gun in there...it's only 2 mins to drop the arm and put it back. He could also put a 90* zerk on it if that was too hard.

zj95maxx
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
So you want to remove the zerk so grease comes out and dirt gets in? He installed it the right way so the zerk is still in place and won't get damaged. It's not like you have to grease them a lot anyway. So if he can't get a gun in there...it's only 2 mins to drop the arm and put it back. He could also put a 90* zerk on it if that was too hard.

I would not be worried about the "grease falling out....". I would just throw a piece of tape over the hole if you are "worried" about dirt getting in there.

You worry too much.

I would much rather spend 2 seconds taking tape off and screwing the zerk in than dropping the arm...

But hey, I am just a boy.

but yes, a angled zerk might work as well.

ATL ZJ
09-15-2009, 11:52 AM
:popcorn:

Assortments of ~200 zerks with various angles are available from HF for about $3. Attention to detail on fasteners, fittings, and misc. hardware will make a huge difference in how easy your rig is to work on, and in turn how reliable it is.

jfowlzj95
09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't forget Clines.. or i can rent a bigger trailer and we can take the ranger to clines.

Ehhhhhhh, still gotta check out my school schedule.

I didn't mention this earlier in the thread, but I got a spare D30 housing with 3.73s for free from my dad's ZJ. I would much rather do the 44 but since I got the gears for free and I'm trying to have this ready by Oct. 9th, redoing the 30 was the quickest/cheapest solution.

Ill take the dana 30 since mine doesn't have a live axle in the front :prayer:

My dad's ZJ was in a wreck so the passenger side outer C and upper control arm mount are bent, so you can have it if you want... just gotta bend back the C and get a new upper mount.

I would much rather spend 2 seconds taking tape off and screwing the zerk in than dropping the arm...

but yes, a angled zerk might work as well.

Dropping the arm isn't too bad with air tools. :D

I completely forgot about 90* zerk fittings. I need to drop the front arms anyway to push it out a little more, so when that time comes around I'll replace these fittings with 90* ones. Same with the rear, I'm gonna pull the 9" to add more support to the truss so I can replace those too if needed.

Guess I better add those to my 'things to do' list.

sasdranger
09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Like he said, he got the gears for free.. but he also doesn't have a truss for the 44, gears or a carrier/locker or brackets and I don't have any more time to weld it all on before the trip.

aka no money no time.

MoonWorks
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
I would just throw a piece of tape over the hole if you are "worried" about dirt getting in there.

You worry too much.

Worry or pay attention to details? And tape!?!?! Why do you think that tape would hold up in the least bit? :rolleyes: Anyway Jon...the build is coming along nicely!