PDA

View Full Version : Moab and Cell Phone Service- Which Carrier is Best?

Check Book WJ
02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I was wondering if anybody can share any info about which cell carrier has the best service in and around Moab. After being there last year, Sprint definitely wasn't worth a crap in town as it went toa weak analog roam signal there, and on the trails it was totally dead except for the edge of TOTW trail.

Krash/Ron had Verizon, it was marginally better, but not by much..

Have any carriers improved their antennas/signals, or were there a few last year that worked well? Some others might want this info if they need to keep in touch with a buisness or family back home, they might know what to expect when they get there.

John

Cody
02-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I used to have Sprint and it sucked balls. Actually, it didn't even work down there unless you were on Analog. That was before the nextel merger though.

I've had Verizon and couldn't be happier. Never had any problems with service and I've had it in places I would never imagine possible. The canyon trails I don't usually bring my phone cause A)it rarely has service and B) I could care less about a phone on the trail. When I'm up on the rim trails or outside of town I bring it along just in case.

I think Cingular/ATT gets pretty reliable service too.

MarkCO
02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I have T-mobile, and my Blackberry works great in Moab. I even have coverage on some parts of certain trails. LOL I once even got paged out, and I was on a crisis call for work while driving a trail. now that's my idea of work ;)

BigDaveZJ
02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I have good service with T-Mobile in town, spotty on the trail. I dunno who Matt has but I know he was on the phone with his mom or somebody on Spike a couple years ago.

OverkillZJ
02-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I didn't have ANYTHING on sprint out there in 2004/2005. In 2006 I could at least text message dave saying "DUDE IM FREAKING STRANDE" but we couldn't quite get a voice conversation though at that spot. I even had broadband data in a few spots, who knows where that was bouncing from because it WASN'T Moab, considering I don't even have Data service in town last I was there

BigDaveZJ
02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, your service, and mine too for that matter, was pretty bad when it need to be good last year. All I heard on the call was "fuck stuck broke alone hungry help."

In 05 though you had service on Spike, cuz you were on the phone right before the whole incident with the broken light.

BigDaveZJ
02-20-2007, 08:32 PM
The only REAL way to not have any issues is to do what some Pinzgauer guys we wheeled with in October do, satellite phone.

OverkillZJ
02-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure if I had Verizon or Sprint in 2005, but overall I've had better luck with Verizon. I know that doesn't hold true for all area's but in my experience, definitely around Pittsburgh and Moab

Sandy R
02-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmmm, last year both my Nextel cell service and direct connect walkie-talkie worked in town. I don't recall whether or not I had service on the trails. Something makes me think that it was intermittent on the trails.

redzj
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
My Nextel ususally has intermitent service if you are standing under one of their towers. I doubt if it would work very good on the trails.

chadjans
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Had Sprint last year and it worked good. Was I alone?

The few years before that it was a different story.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
My verizon has always worked great out there.

Texas ZJ1
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Puma never calls anyone back but his girlfriend.....:smt088

Hunter

Mtn WJ
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
I have had good coverage in town with ATT/Cingular (name changes by the week it seems). Spotty coverage on the trails. When up high it works but down in the canyons etc no coverage.

EMTimZJ
02-22-2007, 12:33 PM
The only REAL way to not have any issues is to do what some Pinzgauer guys we wheeled with in October do, satellite phone.

Amateur Radio:coffee:

-Tim

ArloGuthroJeep
02-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Amateur Radio:coffee:

-Tim

Unless it is during the day, sun flares, etc...:gay:

Texas ZJ1
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Verizon works like a champ