PDA

View Full Version : Military CUCV Hauler

Green Mountain ZJ
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
In my search for one ton axles, I discovered the military and their CUCV Chevy 1 1/4 tons. They come with 4.56 gears and a Detroit Locker in the 14 bolt. Some are rumored to have a LS in the front D60 axle as well. So in my quest I was bidding on this truck http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=1098526 and another much cheaper one. The other one went for more than I wanted to pay but it was still a good deal and this one I just liked better (mainly because it runs). I ended up with this one. I am reading up on the 6.2 diesel and it turns out it is a Detroit Diesel. With the addition of a Banks Sidewinder Turbo, it seems that they can be pretty decent motors. That and they can get 20+ mpg. They have a t400 auto as well. It may be more fun to mod this thing than part it out. Does anyone else have any experience with these things?

adam99wj
02-15-2007, 10:45 PM
if it is like the canadian 5/4 tonne cucv it is probably has a 24v charging system which gave us a few problems but when it works it works good

LouisianaZJ
02-16-2007, 12:58 AM
they are good trucks. people buy them to strip the goodies off of them, like the axles :bling:

Skyline
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
A friend of mine has one that he uses as a work truck. It's a really hardy vehicle. His has much bigger wheels and tires, and I don't think he replaced them. I think his has a 24v electrical system as well, with some sort of converter for 12v stuff like stereo/cb etc. Electrical outlets in the grill for jump starting tanks. He beats the crap out of the thing, and takes it off road a lot...but not necessarily off-roading; mostly on construction sites. I don't think you'll need to worry about upgrading the turbo unless you want huge power...this thing has a ton of torque stock.

He ended up buying a military box body (designed for this truck), seperately that was built for field mechanics. It was the size of the bed, and about 4' high. That included a good sized diesel generator and arc welder and lots of compartments. Got that on eBay.

hkszx2
02-17-2007, 02:17 AM
i was gonna get one of those before i got the zj but the rents wouldnt let me spend my money on something like that cuz they said it would be unreliable

Green Mountain ZJ
02-17-2007, 12:10 PM
They had one of these in the 4 W & OR mag. They put a 4" lift, 37s, the banks turbo, and various other parts on it and use it as a DD. Looks heavy duty. The 4.56s w/ no OD in the auto must wind out pretty quick. Especially since it has a diesel ( low rpm preference ). A lift kit w/ 36s or 37s would almost be a necessity to make it a DD. At least that is the reasoning I will use to get the lift and tires. The CUCVs in general all seem to have low miles. It makes me wonder what they were used for.

Skyline
02-17-2007, 03:14 PM
The CUCVs in general all seem to have low miles. It makes me wonder what they were used for.

It's the wrong color. I think these days we only use beige camo vehicles.

LouisianaZJ
02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
they were used to supplement Hummers as a cheaper, lighter duty rig for non wartime/battlefield applications. stuff like hauling junk from one end of the base to another, or carrying supplies out to training exercises, stuff like that.

Green Mountain ZJ
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/131_0403_1986_chevy_1_ton_army_truck/photo_01.html
This is similar to what I am thinking of doing. There is also a part 2 to this article in case people are interested.

nate
02-17-2007, 10:58 PM
They have low miles, but high hours.

Figure most Air Force/Army bases are only a couple miles from end to end.

Lots of fire up, WOT, shut down.

You won't see very many military rigs with near 100,000 miles.... they don't usually last that long.