PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of the tow rig and trailer

ZJZJ
01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
The YJ isn't mine. The Rubi is my wifes. The Scrambler is my trail rig. The trailer is 20k GVW and 37' on the deck.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/NRGMan13/truck-trailer.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/NRGMan13/trailer.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/NRGMan13/Loaded1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p137/NRGMan13/Loaded2.jpg

zj95maxx
01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
lucky bitch:(

ATL ZJ
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Alright fine I'm jealous. Of everything but the way the rigs are strapped that is..

OverkillZJ
01-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Any chance you used to go by a different screen name?

BigDaveZJ
01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Alright fine I'm jealous. Of everything but the way the rigs are strapped that is..

If I tried that on I-70 between Denver and Moab I'd have a much lighter load somewhere along the way!

Skyline
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM

I always heard that the only way to strap a vehicle to a trailer is to the axles or wheels. That way the suspension of the rig on the trailer can take up road bumps without putting strain on the straps. That IS what you were saying, right ATL ZJ?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-24-2007, 11:34 AM
When I haul shit I ratchet down the axles on both sides front and rear. Then I cinch down the suspension front and rear only a little bit. You want the suspension to absorb some of the bumps but not be bouncing all over the place. I don't know if this is the best way to tow jeeps but it has never failed me.

OverkillZJ
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
X2.

ATL ZJ
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Yep you got it. If you strap to the body/frame only, you are depending on the firmness of your suspension to maintain tension on your straps. Over a harsh bump the suspension will compress and then level, creating momentary slack in the strap, which may loosen ratchet straps or worse, let a hook slip off its attachment point.

Generally, suspension compression isn't as bad with leafsprung rigs or stockers, but with a taller coiled ZJ it can be pretty noticeable. The only exception would be if you're sucking the suspension down to the bumpstops. I strap down the axles (load binder in the rear to make sure it's not going anywhere) and then cinch down the suspension a little bit like elliott is describing.

ZJZJ
01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Matt, you sat and drank with me and Joe at GSE '03 when I drove the 5.9 to Virginia. I don't remember if you were there the next year when I broke the D30 on the ZJ. That would have been 2004 a week after I bought the truck. I'm either NRGman, ZJZJ, or 84Scrambler depending on the board. I'm NRGMan13 on AIM as well. ;)

Yeah, everyone is an expert at strapping vehicles on the internet. Why is it that professional car haulers strap to the frame and never to the axles? I do run axles straps in addition to tying down all 4 corners. I also know to check the straps at every stop, after unusual bumps, before going up or down mountains, etc... I'm not new at this. Those aren't Wal-Mart quality straps either.

ATL ZJ
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah, everyone is an expert at strapping vehicles on the internet. Why is it that professional car haulers strap to the frame and never to the axles? I do run axles straps in addition to tying down all 4 corners. I also know to check the straps at every stop, after unusual bumps, before going up or down mountains, etc... I'm not new at this. Those aren't Wal-Mart quality straps either.

I would have said the same thing to you in person. The pros I've seen mostly use binders and grade 70 transport chain. Of course the guy with the cummins and 37' gooseneck has clearly been around the block and knows what he's doing, but a new guy who sees this thread might assume that he can get away with two straps at the corners of his rig and assume that it's overkill, like the rest of the equipment in the pics. There has been no misinformation in this thread, and you can't have too many reminders about safety- no personal attack intended.

What year is the truck? hope to see you on the trail sometime.

OverkillZJ
01-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Matt, you sat and drank with me and Joe at GSE '03 when I drove the 5.9 to Virginia. I don't remember if you were there the next year when I broke the D30 on the ZJ. That would have been 2004 a week after I bought the truck. I'm either NRGman, ZJZJ, or 84Scrambler depending on the board. I'm NRGMan13 on AIM as well. ;)

I thought that was you, I'm still jelous of the gooseneck setup, but I'll keep the 18' flatbed and suburban around for at least a few years. Some day full fig and 5th wheel... mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

As for strapping, I'm not arguing, but I have seen straps break from suspension only when it rebounds too hard. I know it's like talking outa your ass over it, but I do both since I can't argue with both ways :smt040

slim616
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
what did you pay for the trailer. I'm looking to get one like that in the 30ft range myself to haul my two skidsteers around. Also anyone using a dodge to pull a 37ft trailer must be a rookie to the game:finga:

SirFuego
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I like the Scrambler. :smt023 Looks like you bobbed the rear.

A guy in my local wheeling club bobbed his and is building it up to run 36" super swampers. Given the rarity of Scramblers, apparently bobbing one is a no-no. The best quote he's heard from someone is that "Everytime a Scrambler is bobbed, a puppy dies". My take is that it's a Jeep, why not fix it up for wheeling? :)

ZJZJ
01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
I would have said the same thing to you in person. The pros I've seen mostly use binders and grade 70 transport chain. Of course the guy with the cummins and 37' gooseneck has clearly been around the block and knows what he's doing, but a new guy who sees this thread might assume that he can get away with two straps at the corners of his rig and assume that it's overkill, like the rest of the equipment in the pics. There has been no misinformation in this thread, and you can't have too many reminders about safety- no personal attack intended.

What year is the truck? hope to see you on the trail sometime.

It's a 2004.5 with the 600 CTD. I am kicking myself for not getting the 6-shooter and the dually, but I had no clue I was going to buy a trailer like this when I ordered the truck. Hopefully by the time I need a new truck, Dodge will finally have the 4500/5500 option. As you can tell, I like my toys and believe in overkill. Not Matt, the concept...

No personal attack percieved at all. There are tons of proper ways to strap/chain until something goes wrong. I don't think there is anything that can't break, slip, or just let loose for no known reason. I've never gone the chain/binder route, but I know that is required in some states. The actual propoer use of those straps is to loop over the tires. They are 3 j-hook straps. The first hook attaches by the tires, the strap goes up and over, the middle hook attaches by the tire on the opposite side to act as "pulley" of sorts, then the final hook attaches in a straight line futher from the tire. The ratchet is between the 2nd and 3rd hooks in that set-up. I have not tried that method due to the 37-38" tires on the CJ-8. I may try it on a short trip.

ZJZJ
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
what did you pay for the trailer. I'm looking to get one like that in the 30ft range myself to haul my two skidsteers around. Also anyone using a dodge to pull a 37ft trailer must be a rookie to the game:finga:

I picked it up used, but was still in nearly new condition. It had maybe 16,000 miles on it. The guy bought it to haul cars between Denver and Minnesota, then got sick and had to sell. I got a sweet deal on it at $4,750. That is about a $8-9k trailer new. It's made by Take-3 Trailers in Texas. I have been thrilled with it. Very high quality. I still can't believe the deal the guy gave me on it. This wouldn't be a good skid-steer set-up with the open center area. I do wish it was a flat-bed style, but being able to sit under the middle with the power washer is great after getting the Jeeps muddy.

http://www.take3trailers.com/Trailer%20Home%20Page.htm

ZJZJ
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
I like the Scrambler. :smt023 Looks like you bobbed the rear.

A guy in my local wheeling club bobbed his and is building it up to run 36" super swampers. Given the rarity of Scramblers, apparently bobbing one is a no-no. The best quote he's heard from someone is that "Everytime a Scrambler is bobbed, a puppy dies". My take is that it's a Jeep, why not fix it up for wheeling? :)

It isn't bobbed, just bashed. The former owner had a run-in with a tree that suddenly sprouted in the middle of the trail. ;)