PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on a daily driver... Acura/Subaru/or other?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Come this summer I will have a real job making actual money. Not that the buick isn't the ballinest shit eva!, I would like something else for a daily driver. I have had my eyes on the Acura TL S-type (02-03) for quite a while now. I feel like its a little overpriced but with Honda reliability and the comforts of real leather, navigation, electrical parts that actually WORK, it may be worth it.

http://photos.ebizautos.com/3739/1358938_4.jpg

http://photos.ebizautos.com/6334/1379631_16.jpg

Or I've also been leaning towards a subaru. A few friends of mine have had subarus that have been nothing but dependable. I like the WRX and Imprezas but I want something with a little more room. The new Legacy's look ok. I like the WRX because its turbo and AWD. They are have nice interiors.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/83/3e/6cd5_1.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/82/cd/78dd_3.JPG

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be appreciated!

nickzj08
01-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Acura. Honda is very reliable, and the acura looks a lot better. The subaru is just kinda ricey looking IMO.

SirFuego
01-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know anything about the Acuras, but...

I was seriously considering the Impreza when I was in the market for a DD this past summer. I test drove a 2003 and the engine definitely had some pep in it and stuck to the road like a fly on flypaper. I haven't driven the WRX or STi, but I'd imagine they go pretty good with the turbocharger. Subaru has a very good reliability reputation as well.

I decided to go with a 2003 Civic because I was able to get it for $10k in really good condition from my brother in law. It's a great car, but definitely lacking in the power department. I have no intentions of "ricing" it out, either. Had I not gotten that deal, I would have probably went with the Impreza. I was ready to shell out around 20-25k for a vehicle, so I figured the money saved would slowly go into my ZJ :)

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Just remember that tax, title, and license will come to bite you in the ass and inflate the "actual" cost of what you are buying.

TrojanMan
01-12-2007, 06:06 PM
do not buy subaru. period. parts are very expensive and hard to come by. I'd go with teh acura

jfowlzj95
01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Get the Acura. Dont need the looks and performance of a ricer if you're just going to be using it to get from A to B.

TrojanMan
01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Get the Acura. Dont need the looks and performance of a ricer if you're just going to be using it to get from A to B.

That brings up another point.. you're more likely to want to mod the subaru (bigger exhaust, turbo, controllers, etc)

Green Mountain ZJ
01-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Is there another option? I vote for pimping out the buick.

nova
01-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd get a subaru or an audi if it came to buying a car.

LouisianaZJ
01-12-2007, 08:55 PM
acura or honda

ILikeMud
01-13-2007, 12:19 AM
The WRX will be pricey on insurance.
Go Honda/Acura.

CurtP
01-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Are those your choices or are you open for other ideas? Price range? If it were me, I'd be looking at a certified pre-owned BMW - probably something in the last generation 3-series. Point A to point B, 325i. If I wanted something to throw around, I'd look at an M3. Something in between the two - a 330i. They come with up to a 100,000 mile warranty that's pretty comprehensive. Of course, I'd be looking at something with only two doors ;)

If you're more into Asian imports, I'd be looking at Acura, Nissan or Honda.

Should I throw MINI out there too? :D

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Those aren't the only 2 options, they are just the only 2 I know squat about. I have been looking at the Nissans alot lately. For those that don't know, the work we do up at the shop is almost solely nissans. Hardbodys, X-terras, frontiers, pathfinders, etc. So I know nissan quality is pretty damn good. The 2002 maximas look pretty nice. I am looking for something in the 15K range.

ILikeMud
01-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Eh, the newer Nissans are all that great.
I've had some friends with new Nissans that have tons of peoples with them. Maybe they got lemons but that's what I've seen.

BMW, I'm not big on unless it's at least a 5 series or 7 series.

I like the CLs and TLs but I'm a bit of a Honda fan. I want to retire my Civic for either an Acura like the CL or TL or a 5 series. However that's some time off yet.

SuRf 092
01-13-2007, 02:26 AM
I had a rental '06 Maxima for a month, it was nice. Although the 2 sunroofs do not open, which annoyed me...and it was an automatic,,,it would have been much better with a manual transmission. I'd get one as a DD..

nova
01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
My dad hates his xterra. The only reason he hasn't gotten rid of it is because my step-mom bought it for him. He went out and bought a GMC 1500 Z71 and gets better mileage than the xterra.

Skyline
01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Acura is the FWD. That car has too much power for FWD, and you get plenty of torque steer when you push it hard. Frankly, I don't like FWD cars all that much.

I do agree that the BMW 3 series is a great car, but for me, even with the 4 door the rear seat was too small for my kids. Same with the Audi A4. I ended up with a G35 sedan, and it now has 50k on it and has been pretty dependable. I find it a blast to drive. Mine is a 6sp RWD; too bad you can't get an AWD G35 with a stick.

You mentioned Suburu, but perhaps you should be looking at a Legacy instead of a WRX. I have heard nothing but good things about their dependability, and a good option if you want AWD.

I would recomemmend you first decide how much room you really want, narrow down your choices, then test drive the alternatives.

redzj
01-13-2007, 12:07 PM
I vote G35! If I didn't need something to pull stuff I would own one myself.

OverkillZJ
01-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I dig the Acura's

ILikeMud
01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Don't buy a first year G35.
My buddy's G35 coupe has been in the shop more then it was on the road in the first year of ownership.

b1pig
01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
i havent had any of the newer model cars, but Honda/Acura quality is pretty good if you are going to leave it alone. If you think you might mod it, the reliability goes to the dogs. I had a Civic that was done pretty well for an N/A engine. (a '92 that caught a '05 Civic Si.)

We sold the Civic on ebay and the wife bought a '96 Legacy L wagon. 2.2 auto AWD... but I like that car.

Right out of the box, any turbo Subie will match or beat most any of the Honda/Acura models. Damn near anything will cross-swap between the WRX or Impreza. You could lay hands on a N/A model and then add a turbo. the wife's 2.2 single cam N/A wagon will keep up most econo-boxes and gets around 30mpg doing it. if i manually shift the auto, shifting just before redline, it pulls strong. I've considered adding a turbo system, but the wife doesn't want to fool with it.

Having also owned an older BMW 325... it is an awesome DD. Ours was a '88 325 2dr. Yes, the rear seat is kinda small, but the power in most any of the I-6 manual models is VERY good. We had a pursuit recently with a 2000 BMW 5 series. GSP had a hard time keeping up till they got into Lowndes County. Their Chargers are the only thing that could catch it. The only issue we had with the Bimmer was the tiny cable that went to the right seat flip handle broke. That annoyed the wife, so she sold it.

ILikeMud
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Off Topic, I saw a guy sliding his STi around today in the snow. It was some cool shit.

b1pig
01-14-2007, 08:06 PM
:D:D

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/WRX/4/09b41005-bb91-458e-9aac-988d001c67c3.htm

JEEPERV89
01-22-2007, 06:40 PM
BMW Bring Money Withya

I bought my wife a SATURN VUE V6 Loaded more bells and whisles then most in its price range around 22k . I love the hell outa that car rides good and hauls ass at the same time. NOt to mention it has a honda drive train

go_big247
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I would recommend the WRX. For the $$ Subaru is the best engineered car period. Some will argue this, but usually they are going on opinion or what some other idiot told them. The w's are pretty roomy. My friend has one and he is 6'5". He fits in easily and still room in the back seat. I used to work with a mechanic that worked at an import dealer. He was certified to work on Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinit, and Subaru. He said that every bolt, nut, and part was thoughtfully designed. They were a joy to service. Plus they are very reliable so the cost of parts is negligable. My 2 cents. Enjoy.

CurtP
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
BMW Bring Money Withya

:smt013

Quit spreading bullshit. BMW's are no more expensive to maintain than any other vehicle. Probably the most expensive vehicles I've owned to date to maintain has been the ZJ's, but I don't blame them - I've had to bring both of them back from years of neglect from previous owners.

BlaineWasHere
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
WRX Wagon... you get the AWD and turbo WITH the room. They only weigh 90 lbs more than the sedan so you don't really lose any performace.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-23-2007, 01:00 AM
BMW Bring Money Withya

I bought my wife a SATURN VUE V6 Loaded more bells and whisles then most in its price range around 22k . I love the hell outa that car rides good and hauls ass at the same time. NOt to mention it has a honda drive train

sorry but I am NOT driving a saturn.

Also I test drove a TL last week. It rode way harsh, the jeep is cushier than the TL. The search continues.

corrupt143
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Ive worked on the Acura/Hondas. They will run for quite a while the only thing I absolutly HATE on them is their damn suspension. Its almost impossible to change. They rust up so bad that its hard to replace when they go bad.

My vote is for an early model Mitsubishi Galant GSX. Turbo, AWD and 4 doors. You can grab them up for around 2-3k. Total sleeper stock and theres a tonn of free to cheap mods you can do to get extra HP. And they too will run forever. Its got the 2.0l 4g63, and they were built to take some abuse and theyre very easy to work on. Yeah I worked in the import performance market for many years.

SuRf 092
02-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Check out the 1997-1998 Acura TL. It's bigger than the newer TL's, more reminicent of the Acura Legend.

hkszx2
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
If your looking for just a daily driver with no plans to mod just point a to b type grocery getting and in the 15k range Ive heard nothing but good about the Ford Fusion, not my style but hey my zj is my dd

H3RESQ
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Right now We have an 02 Acura TL-typeS. Auto with triptonic(or whatever its called)Very fun car wtith the traction control off! Did exhaust/tips. (didn't remove the upper res's so it would be quite) and a K&N. It has great power,good mpg,nice ride,great interior space(dramatic improv over pre years). Does have a little torque steer, but it's a driver not a racer so who cares. Also I don't like that the back seats don't fold down. Has been 100% reliable.
Bought a TSX when they first came out. too much road noise, sold it within about 6 months(plus it was cursed, got hit while parked 3 times in 4 months:mad: . Once by a $100,000 show car in the parking lot of the show.
Had a Audi(99)A4 1.8T. That was a real pile of shit. Left my wife stranded 3 times. Blew a radiator hose. Throttle body f-up caused it to have no power. Timing belt broke before recommended service.(9 bent valves, $3500)Oh ya we sold it with only 78,000 miles..No question it was the BEST driving car I've ever owned though.
BMW, Wouldn't spend the money. There just to common in Wa.
Subaru, we'll I live in Wa, Olympia to be exact. Since i'm not a lesbian/or hippie it's out of the question here. he he.
Nissan's and Infinity's just don't have the reliability I expect from a japan car. nissan has a hard time with road noise. Infinity's are overpriced.
Mitsubishies and Nissans just don't have the ammenities I like.
Of course just my opinion.

rssnrocket9
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I like the brand new 2007 TL Type-S. But i would go with a 2007 Lancer Evolution MR. Get the best of both 4 wheel drive worlds!

Skyline
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
:smt013

Quit spreading bullshit. BMW's are no more expensive to maintain than any other vehicle. Probably the most expensive vehicles I've owned to date to maintain has been the ZJ's, but I don't blame them - I've had to bring both of them back from years of neglect from previous owners.

I agree that the ZJ has been the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned, by a long shot. Pretty much everything on the car has broken more than once. But it's not really bullshit about BMWs.

There is simply no way you can compare the dependability of a Honda, Toyota or Nissan to a BMW. The BMW will cost you triple to maintain once it's off warantee. I am not some kid talking about someone else's experience, I used to be a real BMW addict. I've owned so many I lost count, but at least a dozen. I even built (and drove) a championship winning BMW race car. Before I had kids, and had very little financial restraint, I could put up with the constant bills from keeping my BMWs in top shape. I bought my first Jap car about 5 years ago, and after my third now, they've all been bullit proof.

BMW's are simply over engineered. There are so many "black boxes" in these new BMW's it's ridiculous. Here's an example: A 5 series has 4 modules conected to the transmission, including one in the driver's door, (to tilt the passenger mirror to the floor when you put the car in reverse). Each one costs over $500. When one frys, they can all get damaged. Even a trained BMW tech can not replace at tleast two of these outside the dealership...special programming is required on a new module that only a dealer can perform.

Any idea how much a CAT costs on a 5 series? I believe over $2000, and they last about 100k. Do I still like BMW's? Of course....but I don't think I'd ever plan to keep one off warantee again.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Going to go check this out tomorrow. Seems like it could be a winner.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/car/382587118.html

Any insight?

canadian_driver
08-15-2007, 07:27 AM
i know the earlier saabs were really crappy, friend of my dads had a 1998 or 2000 rag top and that one shook and rattled worst than my jeep, the newer ones are supposed to be alot better however

midwestxj
08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
My BIL has a 2006 9.3 and i think it is a great car. i don't know if they have changed much since '03 but if they haven't i would deff. go look at this one. he puts about a thousand miles a week on it and it has been running great for him. i have bben actually thinking about getting one myself.

TrojanMan
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
nice but parts are expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Hurricane 4x4
08-16-2007, 01:15 AM
the acuras are nice and get good reviews but i don't think i could handle a fwd sports car.. i've driven a few and the fwd is just a turn off

wrx is cool, not exactly comfy though

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
08-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Im not looking for a sports car. I'm looking for a daily driver. I prefer FWD cars for DD's for the few times that we get snow/ice around here.

CurtP
08-16-2007, 07:24 AM
There is no such thing as a FWD sports car.

ILikeMud
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
There is no such thing as a FWD sports car.

Sport compact :D

Mtn WJ
08-23-2007, 12:31 AM
If your looking for just a daily driver with no plans to mod just point a to b type grocery getting and in the 15k range Ive heard nothing but good about the Ford Fusion, not my style but hey my zj is my dd

I know I am coming in late here but I did buy a Fusion and had it almost a year now.

I got the SEL V6 6spd Automatic fully loaded and so far a fantastic car. 18,000 miles in less than a year and no issues period. I also drove it 111 mph up Lavida Pass in S Colorado near the Sand Dunes.

In several Car and Driver tests the Fusion came out ahead of both the Accord and Camry in all categories. Anyway thought I would comment on your post.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Having driven Keith's Fusion for a bit and then an Impala when I was in Cali, I gotta say I liked the Fusion better. The Impala was roomier, and only had the itty bitty engine as opposed to the 5.1L V8 in the SS, but the Fusion surprised me. I was still very happy to get back in my 'stroke though!!!

CurtP
08-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Im not looking for a sports car. I'm looking for a daily driver. I prefer FWD cars for DD's for the few times that we get snow/ice around here.

It's been SEVEN months. Haven't you picked something out YET? You keep flip-flopping around. :flipoff2:

If you're not looking for something "sporty" and you prefer FWD and this is going to be a DD (i.e., cheap to buy/operate), then you should be looking at something from the big three - Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

So lay down your needs. 2-door or 4-door? Compact or mid-size? Expected fuel economy? Auto or manual? Preferred options?

Here's my quicklist for <$15k: Compact=Civic. Mid-sized=Altima (2.5 for economy, 3.5 for a little more satisfying drive). Certified pre-owned with some sort of extended warranty for piece of mind.

Of course, I'd opt for RWD and go with a new BMW 335i in Monaco Blue Metallic on black Dakota leather interior with a six-speed and all the options checked. But that would blow your budget about four times over :D

redzjon31's
08-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Get an Acura RL they ride really nice and have a lot of pep in them if you get the 3.5 engine!!! Of course parts and whatnot will be more expensive but these cars are built great and ride alot better than most, and i would think about an 04 tl at that they are alot better than the 2nd gens, i work at Acura so i can tell you pretty much wha the price of any part would be, since i work in the parts department

vinny4130
08-23-2007, 02:54 PM
my old roommate was a Subaru mechanic, a good friend races in group N rally and i sold them for a while. so i am some what bias, but i have no issue with honda or toyota. hondas are fun great fun i am sure i will own more of both. toyota only has a few really fun cars. all three are dead reliable, but i love subarus i have a soft spot for wagons anyway. you do not need a wrx to have fun in a subaru. i did not have enough time to read all that was said so if i am repeating someone sorry. i would suggest looking at (and the years may be a little off)

saab 9.2x aero is a wrx wagon with saab styling in and out, quieter cabin and much lower profile than wrx. best part no saab anything but the badge.

forester xt (yes the lesbian mobile) it is practical and fast with more torque than rex. all came with 2.5t motor (detuned sti motor), black interior, and did i mechion fast. it maybe birth control on wheels but a reliable 300+ hp wagon is the bee’s knees! and lots of interchangeable parts with sti. forester is an Impreza chassis. for the most part suspension too. drive a five speed if it doesn’t give you a smile I cant help.

98-00 impreza 2.5rs 4 door make sure it has the lsd in the rear started in 2000 i think. plenty of na fun, but turbo swaps are common now.

legacy gt wagons and sedans came in the late 90s also motor sawp able not any harder than impreza or forester.

dasVettemeister
08-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Elliott, I've been a Saab fan for a long time and currently have one myself. I have a 2002 Viggen. From personal experience, and experiences of friends I can tell you honestly to stay away from the '03 9-3's. They had quite a few issues. The best one to get would be an '02 9-3 in Aero trim. Look for one that has all maintenance records and has had regular oil changes..... not the factory recommended intervals which are way too long which causes potential sludging issues. 2004 was also a decent year, as they had most of the problems sorted out. Contrary to what has been previously stated, Saab parts are NOT expensive, nor are they hard to find. Keep in mind that as of 2003 Saab was a GM vehicle.... parts are, and always have been reasonable.

Check out www.saabnet.com for good deals on enthusiast owned Saabs.

Here's a pic of my toy.... One of 71 made in 2002, one of less than a dozen in this color combo. A real ROCKET!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/dasvettemeister/viggen001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/dasvettemeister/viggen005.jpg