PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the Rock, UT

Pitch
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
After seeing pictures that other members have posted here, and liking trails with a little history, my interest in running Hole in the Rock is growing. Would anyone be interested in a late winter/early spring trip on this trail? Perhaps President's weekend?

If you don't know, it is a 2-3 day out and back trip in SE Utah that runs down towards Lake Powell. So, camping would be involved.

BigDaveZJ
01-03-2007, 11:49 PM
It's definitely on my to-do list, but there's no way I'd be ready for it that soon.

FearTheDentist
01-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I might be up for that. I've put long arms on the WJ since you last saw it, have a few minor issues to work out, but assuming I get it taken care of I'd like to do this. If I can swing it past the wife, President's day weekend would be best for me.

PassRunnerZJ
01-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Possibly cold weather camping if you go in Feb (which is Presidents Day, correct?).

I want to do this trail too since I have done the West side of the river HitR trail down from Escalante(sp), but it would have to be later in the spring or fall and this one won't happen until I get another job lined up.

Halfdoc
01-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Let me do some checking. This is a cool trip and I would love to do it again.

David.

FearTheDentist
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Is it looking like this trip is going to happen? My wife wants us to head off to Maui that weekend, but I'd rather do this run. Unfortunately, I get the impression interest is low, and since I'll need to get the Maui tickets pretty soon if we're going to do that, I'd like to get an idea of who's serious about Hole in the Rock.

PassRunnerZJ
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Realistically for me early Fall would be the soonest I could do it with the kids' soccer this sping and a tournement in Vegas at the end of Feb. That and I wan to get my 4.10s in for 33's and the rear ARB in.

I'm going to be happy doing Moab Rim and Rose Hill Garden at the end of Jan.

Pitch
01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I am in for the trip, as long as the weather in the week leading up to the trip is looking promising. My brother is interested in taking his ZJ through as well. That would make 2 rigs, 3 (Brian?), and 4 (David?) at best. If President's Weekend is a good weekend for people, I would try to leave Flagstaff Thursday afternoon and start the trail early Friday morning. I think it is a 4-5 hour trip from Flag to the trail head.

If we could get more interest by doing the trail later in the spring, I am all for it. The weather may be more cooperative if we look to March/April too.

FearTheDentist
01-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I am in for the trip, as long as the weather in the week leading up to the trip is looking promising. My brother is interested in taking his ZJ through as well. That would make 2 rigs, 3 (Brian?), and 4 (David?) at best. If President's Weekend is a good weekend for people, I would try to leave Flagstaff Thursday afternoon and start the trail early Friday morning. I think it is a 4-5 hour trip from Flag to the trail head.

If we could get more interest by doing the trail later in the spring, I am all for it. The weather may be more cooperative if we look to March/April too.

It really is up to you guys- I'd be perfectly happy to go to Maiu in Feb. and do Hole in the Rock in Mar\April. I don't HAVE to do it Pres. day weekend- it's just a trip that I've heard is great and would like to do.

On a seperate note- have you heard anything about the trail conditions? Kevin F. was saying he went on a run there a few months back and a huge section of the trail was washed out. I think he said he went with Cody. Maybe he'll chime in on it.

Pitch
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I'll PM Kevin or Cody to see what they have to say. But in all honesty... Maui>Utah in my eyes! Unless David chimes in soon, maybe later in the year would be beter.

Cody
01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I just typed this long response and then it said I wasn't logged in and it deleted it. I'm not re-writing it.

so, i'll check and see if the bypass is still there and passable. It may have washed out too, but last I heard it was still there. FWIW, it was the hardest part of the trail but not too bad. You'll want to have at least one locked rig with you just in case it's wet or something.

here is a link to our write up.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=37529&highlight=Hole+in+the+rock

I dont' have internet access at home right now so I can't direct link any pictures for you guys. Deal.

Cody

FearTheDentist
01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
OK, Ill book my Maui trip and plan on doing this later in the spring. I'm OK pretty much whenever. March? April? Cody- any chance you'd like to do this run in the spring? It'd be nice to have a "native guide"

Cody
01-15-2007, 12:00 PM
we'll see. I'd love to do it again but it's a trip that requires a couple days off work (which is hard to ask for when you're new) and a little more $$$. for the next couple months money is going to be tight--buying a house nickle and dimes you to death.

Cody

Halfdoc
01-16-2007, 11:48 PM
I think later in spring will work better for me too. Just too busy right now and may be short handed in Feb...

I just read that thread Cody. I think I remember that section and didn't have any good pictures but it was not even that memorable on my trip. Just a bit of a muddy stream to cross.

Anyway, if I don't post up, someone shoot me a PM to remind me. I forget to check this section...

David.

Cody
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine who ran it in december. the bypass is still there and he thinks it will hold up for a bit.

As the time draws closer I'll find some current updates and we can go from there.

Cody