PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Question: Water Pump

NINE-T-1-RENEGADE
12-28-2006, 09:33 PM
I know water pump questions are a dime a dozen around here but...

My water pump shit the bed in the ZJ. It's a 95 4.0L and I also have the project 95 YJ sitting down there in the garage. It's a 4.0L as well. Are the water pumps the exact same or what? I know the 93-95 grands use reverse rotation impellers, so are these things gonna be identical? I'm going to pull the ZJ's pump in the meantime just wanted to save myself some work if i can get an answer.

jeepinchiro
12-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I am pretty sure as long as it is a 4.0, the water pump will be the same. I have a 97 TJ and it is a reverse rotation as well. If I can make a reccommendation though, pick a high flow water pump from Flow Kooler. It is a great upgrade. Hope this helps

Cue-Ball
12-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't spend the money on the FlowKooler pump, all it is is a standard pump with an impeller plate pop rivited on to the impeller. Check out my "MONEY PIT" thread for details when I recently installed on in my stroker.

I think it was a $6 part from Summit, and then a stock pump from Kragen.

Dirk

jsteves
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
just my 2 cents from doing several of these...don't buy a "parts store" pump. I went through 3 of them in less than 2 years...yes they are warrantied, but it is not worth the hassle. On the 4th try I installed a mopar one and never had a problem again.

And the flowcooler's are Japanese made 'parts store' pumps with said impeller riveted on, so I would avoid those as well.

DJJordache
12-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't spend the money on the FlowKooler pump, all it is is a standard pump with an impeller plate pop rivited on to the impeller. x2 plus I can say from personal experience that a autozone pump with that waterpump plate from summit WILL outperform a Hesco high flow pump, been there done that. We have had great luck with autozone pumps and no problems with them at all

ps I just checked at autozone the 95 ZJ and 95 YJ have the same part numbers

CurtP
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I've never had an issue with heat with the 4.0 in either the XJ or the ZJ. I've had shitty luck with FlowKooler pumps in other vehicles and multiple failed pumps from Pep Boys. Both 4.0's currently have AutoZone remans on them and they've been holding up fine for the last couple of years. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

jeepinchiro
12-29-2006, 12:15 PM
I didn't know there were so many Flow Kooler haters out there. I just speak from experience. I was having problems overheating while wheeling at low RPM's. I replaced my radiator with a new aluminum one, installed a Flow Kooler water pump, a high flow thermo. housing and a 190 thermo. My jeep has been running great and stays nice and cool especially while wheeling in the florida heat. If that is not a test, I don't know what is. Could be luck though:smt102

AprilzWarrior
12-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Id go with Mopar pump, that damnd FlowKooler is a joke. Brand GMB with a sheetmetal plate rivited on the backside... my local Kragen carries GMB...

As said above but for good measure anyway.

AW

NINE-T-1-RENEGADE
12-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah I finally found my other Full rundown manual for the YJ last night and confirmed they're both reverse. But thank you for the replies.

I also understand that it's important to torque them to the right ft/lb because warping can occur.

My only question is, how likely is it that I could press the bearing out on an old pump and just get a high quality generic bearing from a local bearing and seal shop? I have the tools at work to do it (press etc.) but just curious as to how sucessful this would be? It doesn't seem to be the housing or impeller (obbviously) it's the quality of bearing and seal used. So I think a high quality bearing and seal stuffed into a stock housing should do the trick.

Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions?

dasVettemeister
01-04-2007, 03:49 AM
I didn't know there were so many Flow Kooler haters out there. I just speak from experience. I was having problems overheating while wheeling at low RPM's. I replaced my radiator with a new aluminum one, installed a Flow Kooler water pump, a high flow thermo. housing and a 190 thermo. My jeep has been running great and stays nice and cool especially while wheeling in the florida heat. If that is not a test, I don't know what is. Could be luck though:smt102

They're not haters, they're just using COMMON FUCKING SENSE!!!!! Why do I continually see this stupidity on EVERY board? If someone disagrees with or doesn't like something, they're a "hater". Stop watching Fast and Furious, dude.

A FlowKooler pump is nothing special. As stated previously, it's just a run-of-the-mill parts store pump with a fucking tin disc riveted to the back of the impeller. Then they charge twice as much for it. The discs are available by themselves from Summit/Jeg's. Order a disc, spend five minutes drilling three holes and riveting it on, and you have a FlowKooler pump...... For $50 cheaper.

AgitatedPancake
01-04-2007, 06:00 AM
They're not haters, they're just using COMMON FUCKING SENSE!!!!! Why do I continually see this stupidity on EVERY board? If someone disagrees with or doesn't like something, they're a "hater". Stop watching Fast and Furious, dude.

A FlowKooler pump is nothing special. As stated previously, it's just a run-of-the-mill parts store pump with a fucking tin disc riveted to the back of the impeller. Then they charge twice as much for it. The discs are available by themselves from Summit/Jeg's. Order a disc, spend five minutes drilling three holes and riveting it on, and you have a FlowKooler pump...... For $50 cheaper.

Sounds like your a hater too...:booya:

jeepinchiro
01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Jesus Vettemasterbator.........or what ever the hell your name is. Calm down dude, there is no reason to get that crazy and use that much foul language because I simply used a slang phrase. "Haters" can be somone who doesn't like something. I beleive that is the point of forums such as these is to state an opinion and maybe help someone. What did your anger and foul language help? I would seriously appreciate you not using that language, my 10 year old nephew reads this site and I don't want him picking up the bad habits your parents obviously didn't stop you from developing. :butthead:

NINE-T-1-RENEGADE
01-04-2007, 07:38 PM
^ can we mail you a bubble for your nephew?

redzj
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
^ can we mail you a bubble for your nephew?
:smt044

napajeep
01-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Just as an FYI, Kragen no longer carries GMB water pumps, they are now A1 Cardone, have been for about a year now.

AprilzWarrior
01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Just as an FYI, Kragen no longer carries GMB water pumps, they are now A1 Cardone, have been for about a year now.

You must be the one that is Dirks Kragen hook up ?!?!

I only buy Kragen parts if I HAVE to. They are mostly good for air fresheners...

AW

dasVettemeister
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Jesus Vettemasterbator.........or what ever the hell your name is. Calm down dude, there is no reason to get that crazy and use that much foul language because I simply used a slang phrase. "Haters" can be somone who doesn't like something. I beleive that is the point of forums such as these is to state an opinion and maybe help someone. What did your anger and foul language help? I would seriously appreciate you not using that language, my 10 year old nephew reads this site and I don't want him picking up the bad habits your parents obviously didn't stop you from developing. :butthead:

Get FAWKED. I was not, and currently am not angry. (I'm kind of amused now) In case you haven't noticed, those dirty and evil words appear everywhere. In my post, in this thread, all over this forum, and all over the internet. If you and your nephew can't deal with it, then don't read these threads. Hell, if you're letting the kid read threads on this forum, you're a fucking moron. There are a ton of threads here that are adult oriented. You and the kid should be sticking to the Barney fan club website.

Don't sit there in your sheltered little world and tell me my parents didn't teach me proper habits and morals. You don't know me, and you don't know my parents. You're obviously not a part of reality either.

A little bonus for you and the nephew:

*admin edit, funny as this was, I don't need it in the archives...*

dasVettemeister
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Yup, my last replacement pump was from Checker and it was a Cardone. We'll see how it does.

napajeep
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
You must be the one that is Dirks Kragen hook up ?!?!

I only buy Kragen parts if I HAVE to. They are mostly good for air fresheners...

AW

Yeah, that's me.
I know this is going to sound like the company line, but a lot of our current brands aren't bad. We do have a lot of years of selling absolute crap to overcome, as most can attest.

One of the biggest issues is having someone that knows what they are doing behind the counter. We are definitely challenged in this area, but most stores have at least one guy that knows what he's doing.

dasVettemeister
01-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that's me.
I know this is going to sound like the company line, but a lot of our current brands aren't bad. We do have a lot of years of selling absolute crap to overcome, as most can attest.

One of the biggest issues is having someone that knows what they are doing behind the counter. We are definitely challenged in this area, but most stores have at least one guy that knows what he's doing.

CSK sells some pretty decent parts these days. I won't even consider going to Vato-Zone or Pep Boys. Unless it's a dealer only part, I go over to Checker.

TrojanMan
01-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Marry me dale:smt057

PS my cardone pump has been doing just fine.

AprilzWarrior
01-05-2007, 12:51 AM
dasVettemeister

Im sendding you the bill for my keyboard. The pepsi wontt come ouut, its aaa stiicky slushhy keyboard nowww..,.

:spit:

dasVettemeister
01-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Thank you, thank you, you're a wonderful audience. I'll be here all week. :smt045

jeepinchiro
01-05-2007, 01:48 AM
assmeister,

I think you are a pathetic jerkoff that probably needs to get laid. Anybody that has much stamina in their hands and fingers to type all those nice words is obviously using them too much. I didn't join this forum to have typing fights with ass clowns like you.......so unless you have something intelligent to say......keep your mouth shut!!!

dasVettemeister
01-05-2007, 02:28 AM
assmeister,

I think you are a pathetic jerkoff that probably needs to get laid. Anybody that has much stamina in their hands and fingers to type all those nice words is obviously using them too much. I didn't join this forum to have typing fights with ass clowns like you.......so unless you have something intelligent to say......keep your mouth shut!!!

Listen, you pathetic little cum-burping newb fagot.... Did it ever occur to you that if you had approached things in a different manner I may have been a tad nicer? No, instead you play your pre-pubescent little word-games with my screen-name and proceed to insult not only me but my parents. FUCK YOU.

If you don't like the way things are here at Mallcrawlin, go back to one of those little jerkoff sites like JU. Around here you need to be thick-skinned and have a sense of humor. Little pussies like you that whine and cry about a few "bad words" just don't last.

People like you never cease to fucking amaze me. One minute you're giving your daddy a reach-around and the next minute you, a new member to a forum, are starting shit with someone you know absolutely nothing about.

Yes, I've gotten into "pissing matches" with a couple people here. Nobody is immune to it. The only differences were that I wasn't a newb, and I actually have made contributions to this forum; both monetary and intellectual. I also came away with respect for those individuals. I can have no respect for someone that is new, has made no positive contributions, and wants something from another member yet insults them. Go away, you're not wanted here.

Don't bother to reply. Save it and say it to my face you raisin-balled twit. All you are doing is making yourself look like a bigger toad and getting yourself into deeper shit. Not to mention the space you are wasting on this forum.

TrojanMan
01-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Yes, I've gotten into "pissing matches" with a couple people here. Nobody is immune to it. The only differences were that I wasn't a newb, and I actually have made contributions to this forum; both monetary and intellectual. I also came away with respect for those individuals. I can have no respect for someone that is new, has made no positive contributions, and wants something from another member yet insults them. Go away, you're not wanted here.

Thanks for the beer, by the way.

dasVettemeister
01-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the beer, by the way.

:D We'll be able to drink a few more soon I hope. Maybe we'll even include emo Elliott!

jeepinchiro
01-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Listen, you pathetic little cum-burping newb fagot.... Did it ever occur to you that if you had approached things in a different manner I may have been a tad nicer? No, instead you play your pre-pubescent little word-games with my screen-name and proceed to insult not only me but my parents. FUCK YOU.

If you don't like the way things are here at Mallcrawlin, go back to one of those little jerkoff sites like JU. Around here you need to be thick-skinned and have a sense of humor. Little pussies like you that whine and cry about a few "bad words" just don't last.

People like you never cease to fucking amaze me. One minute you're giving your daddy a reach-around and the next minute you, a new member to a forum, are starting shit with someone you know absolutely nothing about.

I am going to be the bigger man here and apologize for the comment about your parents....it was uncalled for.

I am going to point out a few things though, first of all in reply to you suggesting that I should have been nicer, I do believe it was YOU that got all upset over the term "hater" and proceeded to go on a unnecessary rant.

Second of all, I am a "newb" here and to be honest with you this is the first forum I have joined. I liked this forum and I have seen a lot of good write ups on this forum. I don't even own a ZJ. I own a TJ and I liked the information and people enough on this forum to join anyways. Since I am new I don't think I have had enough time or opportunities to contribute significantly to this forum. I know I have learned a lot and I hope to be able to help someone in the future.

Third, don't assume that I don't have a sense of humor just because I don't like it when someone gets their panties in a wad over a word that was used in an innocent context.....talk about not being "thick skinned".

Finally, everyone gets into pissing matches, and a good debate is what makes these forums interesting. I just like to see it done in a civil and mature manner. I have offered my apologies for typing some stupid shit and I hope they are accepted so we can get back to discussing what is important.............what's the next thing I can do to F-up my jeep?

dasVettemeister
01-05-2007, 03:10 AM
I am going to be the bigger man here and apologize for the comment about your parents....it was uncalled for.

That's not "being the bigger man". It's simply called being accountable. ;) When you have to point out that you're "being the bigger man" it really just comes across as being an ass.

Either way, thank you. I can respect that a bit.

I can't, unfortunately apologize for going off. I'm about as smooth as a trainwreck... that's what it comes down to. That's just me. What say you, Mallcrawlin members? Anyone disagree? Anyhow, who cares; I was grinning my ass off most of the time. (I'm pretty lit. Been taking lessons from Kraqa)

Anyhow, EAT SHIT and welcome to Mallcrawlin. (In case I didn't already say it) Let's see if you can take it here with us crazies.

Your official Mallcrawlin name shall be...... 'Fresh Meat'. Could you change his screen name Matt? Thank you.

Waittress?! Another beer please....

jeepinchiro
01-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Sounds fair enough..........I just apologize then.

Fresh Meat....................OUT!!!

CurtP
01-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm about as smooth as a trainwreck.
Sweet - a new sig!

For those who don't know - Kragen, Schuck's, Murray's, Checker and Pay N Save are all the same company. They just opened a Murray's a few blocks away from my house and I'm happy - brand-new lifetime warranty front CV-joint axles for $90/each. Well, as happy as one can be about CV-joint front axles anyway...

However, I've yet to spend less than 10 minutes at the register getting checked out (and that's not waiting for other people in front of me - that's me at the register). The counter people aren't that bright at that location either.

TrojanMan
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Sweet - a new sig!

For those who don't know - Kragen, Schuck's, Murray's, Checker and Pay N Save are all the same company. They just opened a Murray's a few blocks away from my house and I'm happy - brand-new lifetime warranty front CV-joint axles for $90/each. Well, as happy as one can be about CV-joint front axles anyway...

However, I've yet to spend less than 10 minutes at the register getting checked out (and that's not waiting for other people in front of me - that's me at the register). The counter people aren't that bright at that location either.

last I checked advance auto parts has brand new, lifetime warrantied cv axles for like 65.

OverkillZJ
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
OK... everyone kiss, make up, and calm down...

Even though I laughed (at both of you) so hard I just show my cereal through my nose allover my desk, IT IS POSSIBLE TO DISAGREE WITHOUT THE PERSONAL ATTACKS!

CurtP
01-05-2007, 11:57 AM
last I checked advance auto parts has brand new, lifetime warrantied cv axles for like 65.
IIRC, my local Advance Auto had one-year remans for $75 and lifetime remans for $120. Murray's was the cheapest I could find locally and they can get them next day.

DJJordache
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the funny thread guys:smt062 and vatozone has the cv shafts that are actually larger OD shafts than stock for $59 with lifetime:D

dasVettemeister
01-06-2007, 12:12 AM
IT IS POSSIBLE TO DISAGREE WITHOUT THE PERSONAL ATTACKS!

Bah! Eat shit. ;)

TrojanMan
01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Wait, I might be thinking about commercial price. Shops get the reman ones for 35:smt117

Jeepster_guy
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I have a FlowKooler pump in my CJ. It works great and it came with a lifetime warranty. Does the kragen pump come with that too?