PDA

View Full Version : Fastener Question! Grade 8 V.S. Grade 9... Any Details?

polaris junki
12-27-2006, 03:37 PM
I was looking around www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com) and found they had a listing for Grade 5, Grade 8, and a Grade 9 for bolts. Upon further inspection I found that Grade 8 Bolts are.. Well here I will just copy it over...

Grade 2See Titanium under Material Type.
Grade 5 Made of medium-strength steel.
Grade 8 Made of high-strength alloy steel.
Grade 9 Made of high-grade alloy steel.
Grade CU2 See Brass under Material Type.
Class 8.8 Made of medium-strength, heat-treated steel.
Class 10.9 Made of high-strength steel.
Class 90 and 100 Both are stronger than Grade 5.

My question is, What is the benefit of Grade 9 over Grade 8 bolts? I know they cant significantly stronger because you would see them more often... Any clue? I am guessing that the material used to manufacture the Grade 9 would be more brittle therefor prone to shearing more than deforming but as a result the wear characteristics would be greatly enhanced... Again I am just guessing and am probably totally wrong.

Ken L
12-27-2006, 06:48 PM
What I'm able to find from my Pocket Ref is that "grades over grade 8 are not common commercially, except in aircraft use. The following are a few of those types-
Supertanium, 150,000psi, 8 points on head, quenched and tempered special alloy steel
A354BD;A490, 150,000 psi, no markings, medium carbon quenched and tempered steel
N.A.S 144, MS2000 Military and Aircraft standard, 160,000psi, high carbon alloy, quenched and tempered."

There are more, but that's a sampling of what I could find. Couldn't find anything on Grade 9 specifically though.

Jim311
12-27-2006, 10:09 PM
BillaVista on Pirate4x4 did an awesome writeup about fasteners that's a mile long but really informative. I'd check it out if I were you.

Cue-Ball
12-27-2006, 11:50 PM
You happen to have a link Jim??

ILikeMud
12-27-2006, 11:52 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/NutsandBolts/index.html

Cue-Ball
12-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks, but shit I can't figure out how to print it, he has it encypted. Damn it.

C.C.Reed
12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks, but shit I can't figure out how to print it, he has it encypted. Damn it.

Get the part you want to print on your screen. Hit the "Print Screen" key. Then go to Paint, PhotoShop, etc. and right click. Hit Paste. Then print it.

Or. . .

Go download a free trial of some .pdf cracking software. I have one from www.crackpdf.com (http://www.crackpdf.com). Crack it, print it, and delete the software. I decrypted it but it is 793 kB and the limit is around 200. It's way too big.

polaris junki
12-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Very cool write up at Pirate 4x4!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Cue-Ball
12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
You sure that your cracker software is not going to f' anything up on my PC? I am always leary about things like this.

If you decrypted the fastner file could you email me the file?

Dirk

Get the part you want to print on your screen. Hit the "Print Screen" key. Then go to Paint, PhotoShop, etc. and right click. Hit Paste. Then print it.

Or. . .

Go download a free trial of some .pdf cracking software. I have one from www.crackpdf.com (http://www.crackpdf.com). Crack it, print it, and delete the software. I decrypted it but it is 793 kB and the limit is around 200. It's way too big.

OverkillZJ
12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I say if a fellow wheeler worked that hard on a PDF document that you get use out of, he should be paid for it if that's what he's asking for... Otherwise, hey, he's letting us use it for free on his website!

Cue-Ball
12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Not trying to cheat anyone out of anything, was just hoping to print it out for refernce was all.

Dirk

OverkillZJ
12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry Dirk, wasn't trying to acuse you of it! I hadn't looked at it, some times he asks for a few bucks to be able to dowload the docs. I bet if you email him he might give you the password to keep it for your own use, he's probably just trying to keep his work on his site, ya know

Cue-Ball
12-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Does he have his own site? I have only seen his stuff on Pirate??

ILikeMud
12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
IIRC Bill owns Pirate.

Cue-Ball
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
No I believe that is Lance and Camo that own Pirate.

Dirk

ILikeMud
12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
I thought Bill and Lance owned it. Or did Bill use to own it.
I mean Bill has a bio page on Pirate so it would make sence that he does or did play some part in the web site.

rccolacc
12-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Not trying to cheat anyone out of anything, was just hoping to print it out for refernce was all.

Dirk
Next thing you know he's gonna be printing it out and selling copies-- just like the FSMs on CDs.
j/k
-RC

EMTimZJ
12-29-2006, 01:43 AM
BV is the tech editor/writer, Lance and Camo are the admin's/owners.

-Tim

Cue-Ball
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Next thing you know he's gonna be printing it out and selling copies-- just like the FSMs on CDs.
j/k
-RC

No, the FSM I paid for all of them myself I just put them all together to sell them as a bundle :flipoff2:

AprilzWarrior
01-04-2007, 01:57 AM
To copy from PBB, Ill right click and copy to MS WORD, then change the lettering from White to Black and then print or save as.

:smt104

Cue-Ball
01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
To copy from PBB, Ill right click and copy to MS WORD, then change the lettering from White to Black and then print or save as.

:smt104

Problem is the nut & bolt article is a locked PDF so no right click or even ctrl-c.

AprilzWarrior
01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Problem is the nut & bolt article is a locked PDF so no right click or even ctrl-c.

Oh I didnt check the link... Ive tried to contact bill via PM about getting an article, and there was a $5 PP fee, no bigge, but never heard back.

Cue-Ball
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I will try to contact him directly, I am also going to be buying the Carrol Smith book that Bill used as part of the basis for his article.

TheCompound
03-18-2007, 09:29 PM
The important item to consider when trying to pick the correct hardware for a job is, Tensile and Shear strength.

Also think of using NAS or AN bolts for some applications.
-TheCompound

mudforblood
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
:smt017

nate
03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I use grade 8 for suspension, or anything that has quite a bit of force.

Grade 5 for other stuff, like mounting a CB, license plate bracket, etc.

Grade 9 and there's also Grade 10 aren't common. I know it's stuff used on planes cause that's where I saw them.

TheCompound
03-20-2007, 01:06 AM
I use grade 8 for suspension, or anything that has quite a bit of force.

Grade 5 for other stuff, like mounting a CB, license plate bracket, etc.

Grade 9 and there's also Grade 10 aren't common. I know it's stuff used on planes cause that's where I saw them.

You can find from Grade 5 to Grade 10 and the Metric equivalents at Ace Hardware. If anyone cares:smt015
-TheCompound

nate
03-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Not the Ace that I used to get all my bolts from.

The whole entire side wall of the store was nuts and bolts, pretty much anything, SAE and metric. Nothing over grade 8 though.

For the average Joe, grade 8 is fine... overkill in many applications even.

Cue-Ball
03-20-2007, 10:06 AM
I would HIGHLY recommend reading Carrol Smith's book "Nuts, bolts, fastners and plumbing handbook"

I just need to finish the plumbing chapter and I am done.

This book was FANTASTIC, tells you more than you ever needed to know about what to use and what NOT to use on a vehicle. He does a great job of explaining the different grades and why anything that is higher than a Grade 8 is basically stupid to use on a vehicle as Grade 8 is basically the strongest bolts out there (outside of aircraft rated hardware, which alot of is still Grade 8).

He also does a good job of explaining the different types of load (shear, tortional, etc. etc.)

There are alot of pictures and charts from the military and what not showing proper installation of various hardware as well as alot of examples of failed hardware.

I was planning to write a full review of the book here shortly outlining the major chapters, but that may take me a few weeks.

Anyway I would strongly urge everyone building a rig to have this book in their library, I picked mine up on ebay for about $15 shipped I think, worth EVERY penny.

TheCompound
03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Not the Ace that I used to get all my bolts from.

The whole entire side wall of the store was nuts and bolts, pretty much anything, SAE and metric. Nothing over grade 8 though.

For the average Joe, grade 8 is fine... overkill in many applications even.

Do you have a place called Fasinall (sp?), in your area??
-TheCompound

JeepinHank
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Do you have a place called Fasinall (sp?), in your area??
-TheCompound

I believe its spelled Fastenal.

Yep:
http://www.fastenal.com/

BC98
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Just an FYI.

Metric 8.8 = SAE Grade 5 (approximately)
Metric 10.9 = SAE Grade 8 (approximately)

There's also a metric 12.9 that is somewhat common in the auto industry that is stronger than SAE Grade 8.