PDA

View Full Version : replacing the power antenna with a non power

muddy94zj
12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
alright my power antenna doesnt work which i dont care about but now it cracked so im wondering if there are any antenna's there are the flexible rubber ones out there that are a direct fit? doesnt the jeep cherokee come with the black flexible metal ones would that one work?

jsteves
12-13-2006, 05:27 PM
several zj's came with standard, flexible metal antennas. There is one bolt that holds the power unit inside the inner fender and the stupid ring nut on the top. Pop those off, the other is a direct fit.

I bought a flexible antenna for $5 at a local bone yard.

The Dude
12-14-2006, 02:53 AM
alright my power antenna doesnt work which i dont care about but now it cracked so im wondering if there are any antenna's there are the flexible rubber ones out there that are a direct fit? doesnt the jeep cherokee come with the black flexible metal ones would that one work?

Yes and no. None of the universal antennas fit, so you have to use chrysler shit for that, fortunately its cheap (i think i paid less than $40 for new wire, antenna, gromet, and the little plastic bezel thinggy that is different on the non power one). The biggest bitch on the job is the rubber gromet that is hardened and takes some heavy duty swearing (and some pliers that will fit) to get out. After you have the wire swaped, just put a flexible mast on it, think its like $4 at murrays.

stockzjwnc
12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
ok tried doing this today and i cant get the motor out to do the swap. any one have any pics of how to get this nut out so i can pull the motor

hoffyinaz
12-25-2008, 07:11 AM
I got tired of bending my antenna all the time so I bought one that sticks to inside of windshield.......... Works good and doesnt get bent by trees and bushes. There is a nut or 2 up in the fender well that you need to remove to remove the whole thing. My fenders are pretty much cut off so it was easier.

geesaw
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Yep, if you have a inner fender yet, remove it, them you'll see the two 10mm bolts (IIRC)that hold the motor assembly on. On mine the ant cable was different on the power unit than on the fixed mast, should have grabbed the cable at the boneyard too.