PDA

View Full Version : $100 88XJ

AprilzWarrior
12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
So my neighbor had an 88 XJ that was over heating and did not pass smog because of it. Told me I could have it if I towed it plus $100.

Sweet, no problem.

I take it home sat and did a compression check on it today 12-10-06.

All cylinders are 125psi EXCEPT for #2 its at 75psi and had fowled plug.
I think its a head gasket, local parts house want $60 for Head gasket kit.

BONUS, I have a complete new 4.0 head in my shop !!!! So Ill remove the head for further inspection and make a decision at that point, but for now its looking like an easy fix.

Looking at it over all, 231 and I think a 35 rear (didnt crawl under it)
someone bondo'd the groove in the hood (fug it) and center console lif is broke but still there. Drive really good, excellent shift points and 4wd works. All lights work as well as uber cool added fog lights. perfect tires all around and even perfect spare.

Really just a motor issue and Ill be daily driving this pig.
http://fototime.com/B737FC478212362/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/9EB0FA95826B494/standard.jpg

So once this is on the road, my ZJ goes under the knife and the swap will begin!!!!

:booya:
AW

OverkillZJ
12-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Score!

norcaljr
12-10-2006, 11:10 PM
looks nice man.

Skyline
12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Before pulling the head, you might want to try a leak down test. Might help you to confirm your suspicion or tell you to look deeper in the engine. Also, check the oil and coolant for signs of cross contamination, a sure sign of a bad head gasket.

Seems to me a combination of low compression and a fouled plug is more likely a problem with the ring seal on that cylinder than a bad head gasket, (although I hope I'm wrong.) Not that it makes your purchase any less of a bargain, (worse case, you could probably sell the transfer case alone for three times what you paid for the thing!)

AprilzWarrior
12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Before pulling the head, you might want to try a leak down test. Might help you to confirm your suspicion or tell you to look deeper in the engine. Also, check the oil and coolant for signs of cross contamination, a sure sign of a bad head gasket.

Seems to me a combination of low compression and a fouled plug is more likely a problem with the ring seal on that cylinder than a bad head gasket, (although I hope I'm wrong.) Not that it makes your purchase any less of a bargain, (worse case, you could probably sell the transfer case alone for three times what you paid for the thing!)

This is not my first BBQ, I know how to cook! I like that line...

Leak down was not necessary because I knew it was eating coolant, and the fowled plug looks like it too. No burnt oil on any plugs!!

Oddly no coolant in the oil. IF the motor is smoked I have one that I can get for $375 local. Thats worst case.

Im still sorta stoked over this POS... looking forward to a stocker. (NO MODS EVER)

:D

I adjusted my monitor and I can now see the blinking light in your avatar Skyline ! I never knew that was ?? LOL

nate
12-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I was suppsed to get a big Cherokee, 360 under it, etc.

Guy told me the engine was bad.

Well my buddy buys it. Puts a starter on it, unplugs the fuel line... and it runs just fine. Went wheeling with it today even. Still has current tags, etc.

Paid $50 for it.

AprilzWarrior
12-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I was suppsed to get a big Cherokee, 360 under it, etc.

Guy told me the engine was bad.

Well my buddy buys it. Puts a starter on it, unplugs the fuel line... and it runs just fine. Went wheeling with it today even. Still has current tags, etc.

Paid $50 for it.

plugged fuel line......classic

Its nice when you can find that good garage type deal.

nate
12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I hate the guys that have sweet rigs and have maybe a total of $1000 into it because they got deals on the parts or bartered their junk for what they needed. I can never seem to have that work out for me.

CurtP
12-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I bought my '96 ZJ for $1200 - was told it needed an engine rebuild. A reman head and an exhaust system is all it really needed.

nate
12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Cool. I paid close to $17000 for my ZJ. Was only 4 years old though.

DJJordache
12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
BONUS, I have a complete new 4.0 head in my shop !!!! So Ill remove the head for further inspection and make a decision at that point, but for now its looking like an easy fix.
in case you didn't already know the 87-90 4.0L head is not the same as the 91+ 4.0L head. There are intake port height differences, which is something we ran into on my brothers 90 stroker but on his we updated to the later model stuff. I have pics somewhere of the port differences if you want

AprilzWarrior
12-11-2006, 12:05 PM
in case you didn't already know the 87-90 4.0L head is not the same as the 91+ 4.0L head. There are intake port height differences, which is something we ran into on my brothers 90 stroker but on his we updated to the later model stuff. I have pics somewhere of the port differences if you want

Its a completely reman head off an 89 XJ. So Im good there thanks !

I would post pics just for archive sake ! What could it hurt, bring some tech in !

DJJordache
12-11-2006, 01:06 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/djjordache/IMG_1459.jpg
I can't find my pic of a Renix intake ports vs a HO intake ports right now but this also shows what I'm talking about.

Ok both intake manifolds pictured here are the 87-90 4.0L NON-HO RENIX style manifolds.
The bottom one is a stock unmodified Renix intake manifold and the one on top is a MODIFIED Renix intake manifold (done my Accurate Power) to be able to line up to a 91+ 4.0L HO head.

we ran this setup on my brothers 4.7 stroker (96+ block and very tweaked HO head like mine) until I saw such a huge boost from my 99+ intake manifold(with injectors and Hesco FPR) swap so we also had to swap to a 99+ intake manifold on his stroker also:D

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
12-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Cool. I paid close to $17000 for my ZJ. Was only 4 years old though.

:punish:

nate
12-11-2006, 03:30 PM
That was in 2002... when they weren't cheap like now-a-days. Only had 40,000 mile and was in mint shape, like the previous owner even took a sharpie to cover up the rock chips on the shocks :eek:

DCHZJ
12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Nice Score......

Cue-Ball
12-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Sweet deal, now I need to keep my eyes open for a deal like that.

I need something to DD, the gas and wear on my shit is starting to get on my nerves.

AprilzWarrior
12-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Update as of Monday night...

new head installed... Free
Head gasket kit $60
Power steering pump $51
Fan Clutch $33
Lower Rad hose $12
Oil, Free
Filters Free
updating over due tags $214

Total cost $right at $500 I still have to smog it.

1 Tank of gas $27 HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was at $70 for the 5.9

Its at my house running well... I get more pics at the weekend !

ZJ monster here I come !

Jerod

ILikeMud
12-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Sweet man! Good to hear.

Cue-Ball
12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Congrat Jerod, glad to hear it.

Dirk

Skyline
12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey Jerod;

Sounds great. If its been sitting a while, you might want to run another tank of gas through it to get any remnants of old gas out of the system before you try to pass emissions.

AprilzWarrior
12-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey Jerod;

Sounds great. If its been sitting a while, you might want to run another tank of gas through it to get any remnants of old gas out of the system before you try to pass emissions.

Good call...

I also ran 2 bottles of Redline Fuel system cleaner, I also cleaned out the throttle body, TPS & IAC

b1pig
12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
i'd love a deal like this... goodness...

so... any update on the beast? pass emissions?

AprilzWarrior
12-31-2006, 01:09 PM
i'd love a deal like this... goodness...

so... any update on the beast? pass emissions?

I have 2months to smog it and Ive been super busy with my grand build that this wont get smogged for at least a month.

Ill post up when its done.

1fox2go
12-31-2006, 03:12 PM
yea those deals are nice i scored an 87 xj, with the HP30 and a dana 44 in the rear for a 100 bucks