PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown Run

Skyline
12-04-2006, 04:52 PM
First day wheeling the lifted ZJ yesterday at Paragon. What a blast. It was nice to not hit the skid plates on every big rock. Sorry that I don't have any decent photos, but I went by myself, and we really didn't stop too frequently. And you guys really don't want to see a lot of pictures of Wranglers, (which made up the bulk of my group)?

I had a few issues that will need to get fixed before next time out, but it was still fun. My list of remaining issues goes something like this:

-My motor mounts were in kind of bad shape to begin with, but I think they gave up completely on the first trail. I had the fan hitting the lower radiator shroud, and the TC kept poping out of Lo.

-Hopefully the new motor mounts will solve the TC problem, but I may need to adjust the TC linkage.

-Going to go back to the stock steering; I'm not satisfied with the way the Rusty's set up worked. The SS was twisting around the tie rod. Not good.

-I need to do a better job attaching the rear bump stop rubbers. They held for the day, but they won't stay in for much longer. Actually I used new stock bump stops, but I couldn't get them back in the original holders far enough. Anyone know the trick to this? It would seem the way to go would be a vise, but then you've covered the bolts. They've got to be shoved in while the holders are on the car. Then the side depressions need to be pushed in.

-The pinch seam has to go.

-I need to find someplace local to test the tire rubbing to see what needs to be trimmed. I don't think too much needs to go, but I wish I had a way to really see. I was hoping to use the RTI ramp at Paragon, but when I finished the day, I couldn't find it. Someone told me that they moved it to the area with the waiting lines, but by then the park was closed. Oh Well. Maybe I'll build myself a ramp is all else fails.

BlackDiamondBound
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
looks fun. I hated the rustys steering too, i put that on my jeep and got DW. put curries steering on and it went away

gonecheenin
01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice, lookin good

seem to be the right height (not to big, not to small)

CurtP
01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
-I need to do a better job attaching the rear bump stop rubbers. They held for the day, but they won't stay in for much longer. Actually I used new stock bump stops, but I couldn't get them back in the original holders far enough. Anyone know the trick to this? It would seem the way to go would be a vise, but then you've covered the bolts. They've got to be shoved in while the holders are on the car. Then the side depressions need to be pushed in.

Pull the bump stops back out of the holders, then clean out the holders. The ones on the front of my 5.9 had chunks of the original bump stops stuck in them. Mine were in such bad shape, I ended up replacing the cups too. Once you have it clean, spray the top part of the bump stop that goes into the cups with spray silicone - they should slide right in. You may have to persude them in a little with a mallot.

Skyline
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Pull the bump stops back out of the holders, then clean out the holders. The ones on the front of my 5.9 had chunks of the original bump stops stuck in them. Mine were in such bad shape, I ended up replacing the cups too. Once you have it clean, spray the top part of the bump stop that goes into the cups with spray silicone - they should slide right in. You may have to persude them in a little with a mallot.

Once the cups are mounted, there's just not much room to use a hammer. I ended up using the factory bottle jack between the axle and the bump stop to force it in, but even all the way in, I couldn't seem to bash the tabs in enough to hold the rubber in there firmly, so I drilled a pair of holes through each bump stop holder and bump stop, and ran some zip ties through.

sailbrooks
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
You would be suprised to learn how well silicone gel helps those bad boys go in to thier homes.

CurtP
01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Once the cups are mounted, there's just not much room to use a hammer. I ended up using the factory bottle jack between the axle and the bump stop to force it in, but even all the way in, I couldn't seem to bash the tabs in enough to hold the rubber in there firmly, so I drilled a pair of holes through each bump stop holder and bump stop, and ran some zip ties through.

Were the cups clean? If there's chunks of the original bump stops in there, they won't go in right. I've replaced them on both the front and back of my 'Niner. The fronts were FUBAR, the rears just needed the cups cleaned out. A little spray silicone and the fronts slid right in. I seem to remember having to use a bit of force. You shouldn't have had to mash the tabs in at all.

Skyline
01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Were the cups clean? If there's chunks of the original bump stops in there, they won't go in right. I've replaced them on both the front and back of my 'Niner. The fronts were FUBAR, the rears just needed the cups cleaned out. A little spray silicone and the fronts slid right in. I seem to remember having to use a bit of force. You shouldn't have had to mash the tabs in at all.

Yes, I did clean out all the old bump stop material. But there was a bit of rust and corosion, so maybe that prevented the new bump stops from going in completely. Even with the original factory mounting, I still lost one of these while off-roading. No way they'll fall out now.

CurtP
01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
No way they'll fall out now.

Unless the zip-ties break :D

I meant to say in my earlier post that the fronts popped right in, but the rears seemed to take some force. I figured that was because there was still some corrosion in the rear cups while the front ones were brand new. I thought I remember checking them to make sure they were secure, but now I'm thinking that I need to go double check.

I wonder if the long poly bump stops like Summit Racing sells would work better. I'd just be worried that the poly would be too hard.

Skyline
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Unless the zip-ties break :D

I meant to say in my earlier post that the fronts popped right in, but the rears seemed to take some force. I figured that was because there was still some corrosion in the rear cups while the front ones were brand new. I thought I remember checking them to make sure they were secure, but now I'm thinking that I need to go double check.

I wonder if the long poly bump stops like Summit Racing sells would work better. I'd just be worried that the poly would be too hard.

Last time I talked to Kevin at KOR he said he was testing some progressive bump stops, but certainly there are better solutions out there.

Rubber Chuck
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Bump Stops???
Do You need those???:rofl:

ILikeMud
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Bump Stops???
Do You need those???:rofl:

Yes, I rubbed like all hell in the front, no bump stops sucks.

To get my rear bump stops in, I put some wheel bearing grease on them and got them in easily.