PDA

View Full Version : Moab Thanksgiving Weekend 2006

PassRunnerZJ
11-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Since some of the family was over for Thanksgiving we setup a trip for Saturday and Sunday in Moab and met up with my friend from High School who lives in AZ and his dad who lives here in GJ and are newbies to Moab. They rented a Rubicon to drive since he is leaning towards purchasing one. Also a friend from the Grand Mesa Jeep Club joined us with his AEV built Rubicon on 35". It was nice for the others to see the difference in obstical attacks with 31's, 33's, and 35's.

We did Gold Bar Rim Saturday and tied in the lower Gemini Bridges trail with Bull Canyon. I did notice that GBR seems to be getting more challenging on the obsticals from the traffic coming off of the Spike and Rusty Nail, not a bad thing though:) . There are some decent obsticles on the Bull Canyon leg and some great dunes to play on just before you reach the box canyon that allows you to view the bridges from below. I don't have any pictures and don't know if anyone took any pictures of the dunes due to the fact that we were playing on the various paths up. If I find any from the other parties I'll post some. Overall they are about the size of the dune on PSM, but a little steeper on one side, I think. Great fun to play on none the less.

Sunday we searched for and found the way to Wipe Out hill from Hwy. 313 which made it a quick in to play and out for a half-day play on the hill climb. Everyone that attempted the line on the East side made it without issue and Greg with his 35" equiped AEV Rubicon made it up the line on the West side of the hill, one more box check off for him.

Pictures follow GBR first:

PassRunnerZJ
11-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Wipe Out Hill Pics, the last one is of the AEV Rubicon going up the line on the West side:

PassRunnerZJ
11-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Going down the line on the East side of the hill:

Jsk8r1
11-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Cool pics, thanks for posting.

PassRunnerZJ
11-27-2006, 01:47 AM
And three from Bull Canyon and Gemini Bridges, hopefully others have better an more of the obsticals. In the second Bridges one you can see someone on a rope (if you look real hard) in under the bridge. They setup some ropes across the opening and were walking them as tight wires. As well as one that shows I need to get rid of the factory tow hooks...

Texas ZJ1
11-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Great pics.

Hunter

Sudz
11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
how are those BFG AT's on the slickrock?

PassRunnerZJ
11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I think that they are great, especially since the ZJ is my DD. But any quaility off-road tire is good once the air pressure is figured out. The one thing to keep in mind isn't neccisarily the tread but it is the sidewall strength since you will put sidewalls into rocks and they do well there too.

PassRunnerZJ
12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
More photos link: Should work without having to log in.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=sl3hubr.74t76p9f&Uy=-ghj3ab&Ux=0

Wipeout Hill first then Gold Bar Rim

Matt
12-01-2006, 01:38 AM
Great pictures.

Northtrails
01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Nice pics!