PDA

View Full Version : manual transmission difference between 01 and 03-05

tattooedXJ
11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
i apologize if this was covered somewhere, i just did a basic quick search and didn't come up with anything. no i'm not a newbee to jeeps. i'm just by no means advanced. i can/will do anything on jeeps except for fabricating, and only cuz i don't have a welder yet. my friends only DD is down and i'm trying to get some info real quick to get him back on the road.

a friends transmission broke recently, and we are looking for a new transmission for his jeep. we are also considering the posibillity of a tranny swap.
he has an 01 TJ, 4.0L with the 5speed manual (not sure if AX5 OR NV3550).
well while shopping around, i noticed that for some reason the 5speed nv3550 for an 03 is almost $400 cheaper than the nv3550 for an 01.
we were also considering the posibillity of using a 6speed out of an 05 since it's about the same price as the 5speed.

so my question is if anybody knows if there is any difference in those transmissions that would prevent or complicate the swap???

williamj
11-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I cannot completely answer your question but your friend should definitely have the NV3550. They used it in 2000+ wranglers. I would guess that the six speed is slightly longer possibly requiring a different driveshaft but I am not sure. I would find out if the 03 comes with all of the same stuff as the 01(reverse switch, shifter etc) which might cause the price difference. Just some thoughts. Good luck

tattooedXJ
11-08-2006, 10:36 AM
ok. i checked into it, and according to the dealership that currently has his jeep hostage it's a aisian transmission. so that should be the AX5.

tattooedXJ
11-08-2006, 10:41 AM
i just thought of something. didn't the AX5 come behind the 4cyl??? if he has the 4.0L, then it should have the nv3550 right???

damn dealerships.

KeepItCrunk
11-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, i beleive the AX5 was never behind a 4.0. thats the dealerships bad. its much weaker and have a 21 spline output shaft far as i know... He has a AX-15, which is wut was any 4.0 88+ has, xj/tj/yj and even the coveted factory 5 speed zj.