PDA

View Full Version : GSW 2007 Scheduled!!!!!!!

Sandy R
10-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Mark your calendar!
June 15-17, 2007 ----- Moab, Utah

Info to follow in the coming months as planners finalize details.

Cue-Ball
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I am not even going to mention that I am going to try to make it because we all know how that turns out for me (hahaha).

SuicideTireZJ
10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
May this finally be the year I get off my ass and head out there?? I guess we'll see. When does registration start?

Sandy R
10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
When does registration start?

See initial post --- Info to follow as details get finalized. :smt080

Z
10-31-2006, 02:57 PM
May this finally be the year I get off my ass and head out there?? I guess we'll see. When does registration start?
Registration probably won't start until January. I need to give the rego site a massive overhaul to include functionalty that will lighten the load on organizers.

MUDDTRACKS
10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
wish i could get my pile that far across the states.

Kraqa
11-01-2006, 01:43 AM
i'l be der!!!

chadjans
11-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Boy, need to decide if I want to plop down the cash for a tcase before June.....

jsteves
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
DO IT! I want to see a "finished" product from you by June.

SLO MO
11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
We'll be coming back!:smt026

Cody
11-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Boy, need to decide if I want to plop down the cash for a tcase before June.....

what? You don't think you're going to finish that thing in 6 months?

I wouldn't even start on complete chop and build until like 7 days before lol. I remember beginning to look for a t-case for EJS 24 hours before I was supposed to leave.

My rig was only down a total of like 20 days between all of its builds...how do you go wheelin if your rig isn't runnin?

I don't even have a tow rig or a buggy, nor do I plan to start the build until after the first of the year, and I'm not particularly worried about having my junk done in time.

get moving beotch!

Cody

chadjans
11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
It isn't a question of time it is of cash flow. I would "like" to use my bonus, but those don't pay out until September.....

Cody
11-02-2006, 01:10 AM
thats what credit is for ;) get some no interest action until september

(actually, don't listen to that advice)

Cody

wheelnzj
11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Chad- Yes you do!

Sandy, Thanks for posting the date for GSW 2007. http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

I had a great time at GSW 06 and hope to see everyone again this year.

Ron

:drinkers:

nate
11-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Hmm... I'll try and head down this year. I don't have an EJS trip planned, so I should be able to afford it.

wpcheairs
11-06-2006, 03:03 AM
Had a great time last year. Going to have a few more mods done on the ZJ before this year. Hope the weather is as nice as last year.

H3RESQ
11-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Planning to go this year. B-Day is June 18th so the wife has to let me go.:D

RollinBallsDeep
11-24-2006, 02:57 AM
wish i could go but dont have a GC this year!!!! Would the comp buggy work if I put a GC front end on it? lol always sounds like it would be fun

Cody
11-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Hal's buggy was allowed and it had WJ skins. It was also titled as a Jeep Grand Cherokee ATV or somethign of that sort and was built with the intention of having WJ skins.

Sandy R
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
wish i could go but dont have a GC this year!!!! Would the comp buggy work if I put a GC front end on it? lol always sounds like it would be fun

Like Cody eluded to it needs to be registered with DMV as a Grand Cherokee and so stated on the title.

polaris junki
12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
As of right now I think I might try to make it, although I have a sissified Jeep compared to what is going to be there... I will get some ideas for upgrades and mods for the rest of the year.

ArloGuthroJeep
12-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Last year some of the most built Jeeps couldn't make it off of the trailer so just remember you're less sissy then them:rolleyes:

BigDaveZJ
12-04-2006, 08:01 PM
As of right now I think I might try to make it, although I have a sissified Jeep compared to what is going to be there... I will get some ideas for upgrades and mods for the rest of the year.

We will be offering trails that lesser built rigs can play on too. Poison Spider is a trail that a stocker with rocker protection, skids, and tow points can make it through. A budget boost and 31's can get ya pretty far in Moab.

polaris junki
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
A budget boost and 31's can get ya pretty far in Moab.

:supz: Sweet! I am planning on getting Quick Dis-connects and making a set of sliders like the ones offered by RockyRoad.... They seem simple,strong, and effective...

That way I will have a set of 265/70 R16 Revos, QD's, 2" of lift, a decent set of sliders, front and rear tow points, a Beefy Transfer case skid and a one or two others (I am tired)... I am hoping that will keep me covered for my first trip out there... I don't want to over do it... and at the same time I don't want to set my self up for disaster... Thanks! Look forward to meeting everyone.:smt006

canadian_driver
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
you might be graced by another canadian, if i can get something to tow my bucket ill come down, ill try and convince tony to come too

PassRunnerZJ
12-11-2006, 04:27 AM
:supz: Sweet! I am planning on getting Quick Dis-connects and making a set of sliders like the ones offered by RockyRoad.... They seem simple,strong, and effective...

That way I will have a set of 265/70 R16 Revos, QD's, 2" of lift, a decent set of sliders, front and rear tow points, a Beefy Transfer case skid and a one or two others (I am tired)... I am hoping that will keep me covered for my first trip out there... I don't want to over do it... and at the same time I don't want to set my self up for disaster... Thanks! Look forward to meeting everyone.:smt006

A rear receiver hitch is helpful too. If your tow point is off of it, all the better.

polaris junki
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
:smt022 !!!BAD NEWS!!! I cant make it this year! :smt099

I have been chasing job postings all around my area to find one to replace the hole that I am working in now. I finally found one :smt117 {<-that's just funny} that i like, I went and interviewed for a position in their machine shop and they called me with in a couple of hours of the interview wanting to schedule a second. :D I just got out of there and am now back in my hole, I am going to start my new job beginning in January and wont get any vacation days for one year. But I am not going to complain because they are paying me more and I am going to apprenticing in a machine shop. This way I will be able to get away from my drafting desk and back into a machine shop where I will be up and moving around and feeling better. I am sorry I cant make it this year I was really looking forward to it, at least this way I will be able to build my jeep up more for next year. Sorry....

H3RESQ
02-04-2007, 06:23 PM
What would the temp. be at this time of year. I would like to bring my dog(golden retriever)She is well trained and loves wheeling.

BigDaveZJ
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
What would the temp. be at this time of year. I would like to bring my dog(golden retriever)She is well trained and loves wheeling.

We've had anywhere from 70's and rain to 110's and not a drop of water to been! So come prepared for anything. Bring LOTS of water, even if it doesn't seem very hot.

ArloGuthroJeep
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Last year I brought a 5 gallon jug of water + a cooler of regular drinks...didn't touch the water though. Was 80's last year at this time.

H3RESQ
02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks, but what about the dog. Since there's a large group I just wanted to see how people felt before just showing up with her.
I also will check with the hotel on there animal policy. Most are cool as long as you don't leave the dog by itself. (if you do and it barks and people complain you have to pay for there rooms!)
But she's an :smt051

BigDaveZJ
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
We'll more than likely be bringing our dog. It really all depends on the dog too. If she's not the best dog off the leash, keep her on the leash or inside the vehicle. If she's off leash, maintain voice control whenever she's out of the vehicle. It's just like being at a dog park, a million different things to grab your dog's attention.

H3RESQ
02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you. Just wanted to know if others brought there dog. She's well trained off leash. Hangs in the GC alot though.
She goes to work with me everyday. Hangs downtown Oly off leash. Raised goldens for pheasant hunting as a kid so lots of background.

WestexZJ
02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Finally!! This year I think I can make it.

4WDSUjordan
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
hey there party people! i am going to try my best to make it out there again this year! had a great time last year but lets hope the trail day doesnt last another 16 hours! haha

Jordan May
4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine

rrubio
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
hey there party people! i am going to try my best to make it out there again this year! had a great time last year but lets hope the trail day doesnt last another 16 hours! haha

Jordan May

Jordan if you refering to the 05GSW that was a great day for us.It was a bit long but it could of been worse.

Mtn WJ
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Jordan May

Good talking with you yesterday. You should have an email from me with the details.

Hope to see you there.

Keith

JohnBoulderCO
03-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Jordan if you refering to the 05GSW that was a great day for us.It was a bit long but it could of been worse.

Yes, we could share a lot of stories from that Spike run, some of which are too wild to believe. Had to be there. Where is that write up of the "16 hour adventure" that several of us did together?

BigDaveZJ
03-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey now, it's not THAT wild of an idea that Pam actually said yes!!

JohnBoulderCO
03-08-2007, 12:57 AM
That's true! One of the many great things that happened that long day in Moab.

Then there was the group from Florida, in their new Rubicon, that decided to go wheeling for the first time.:D

BigDaveZJ
03-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Where is that write up of the "16 hour adventure" that several of us did together?

I found this in my email archives, I don't think it's the final version though.

Friday morning we started out bright and early with a group of 11 Grands ready to tackle Golden Spike. Our trail leader was John Strom, and I (Dave Reichert) was tailgunner. Our 11 rigs covered quite a range of levels of modifications, from mild suspension lifts with bigger tires, to a buggy built off what’s left of a ZJ.

We left City Market at 7:30AM and headed for the trailhead of Poison Spider Mesa. Corey Bauer had to stop a second to unload the “Chalupa” off the trailer. He was having some fuel delivery problems so it took a little longer than a second, but he did get it running well enough to start out on the trail and get some baja action in later on.

The group made it up to The Wedgie with no problems whatsoever. Pretty smooth sailing so far and we were all hoping it stayed that way. Well, it didn’t. In the Wedgie, Keith Scheffler managed to blow a Dana 35 shaft. Keith had been across the Wedgie many times before with no issue, but this time he definitely had issue. As Ramon Rubio came across the Wedgie, he got a little too much articulation out of his suspension and managed to chuck one of his front springs. A few minutes with a hi-lift jack and that was taken care of . . . . . if only Keith had it as lucky as Ramon!!

While all of this was going on in the Wedgie, I was at the back of the group standing on a rock with my girlfriend Pam Rosay getting our picture taken when I asked her to marry me! Definitely the highlight of the day for me! (obviously she said yes or it would not have been a highlight!!)

We got the group past the Wedgie and dove into Keith’s rear axle. He snapped the shaft right where it necks down to go in the side gears. Unfortunately, his ARB was keeping us from removing all of the busted shaft!! After a while, Keith and Corey decided to try and limp the wounded WJ back to town and see if they could fix it there. With what would be another 12 hours on the trail ahead of us, this was in hindsight DEFINITELY the right decision!

We meandered across the slick rock and whoop-ti-do’s that make up the remainder of Poison Spider Mesa and came upon the turn off for Golden Spike. Many of us in our group had run Poison Spider Mesa countless times, but this would be the first trip for many of us across Golden Spike.

The first obstacle we came upon on Golden Spike was Launch Pad. Steep, long, and lots of fun! We had lots of different techniques on how to make it up, some floored it, some maintained a constant momentum and tried to keep wheelspin to a minimum. All methods appeared to work well as everyone made it up without issue or carnage! After Launch Pad was Skyline Drive. Definitely interesting to do in a thunderstorm!!

We made our way down into a beautiful deep canyon with lots of ledges to go up and down and some great scenery. There was only one real major obstacle in the canyon, a couple people took straps, I just found the easy line!

We finally made it to Golden Crack about 4:00PM. This was the main destination for most of us as we had all heard how much it will test your rig and driving skills. We all stood there and looked at it, some thought “saawwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet” while others were thinking “maybe this wasn’t such a good idea . . .”

Our fearless leader John showed us the line and walked right across the Crack in his well built WJ. Now most of us are thinking “well okay, that’s not that bad.” A few of the rigs with open differentials and smaller tires had to take a few tries at it or get winched across, but we suffered no major carnage outside of some new scratches on some bumpers and one slightly bent steering component.

We were all in good spirits after this as we had all heard the horror stories of the damage that can happen in the Crack.

Next up were the Golden Stairs. Our wheelbase made this one pretty easy for all 9 rigs.

There was talk on the CB about Double Whammy coming up and how it’s a completely optional obstacle, we’re running late as it is, blah blah blah, but a few of us wanted to try it. John went first with his 33’s locked front and rear and was denied! Matt Weaver tried next, and his 35’s made it look all too easy. Stan Jack also walked right up it on his 35’s. Apparently 35 is the magic number for Double Whammy! I gave it a try with my 33’s, locked rear, and kept getting denied, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. Well you get the picture! After a few tries I noticed something just didn’t feel right on the Jeep. I heard a loud pop, was thinking shaft, but it turned out to be a frame side upper control mount that I had managed to rip off the frame AND I bent both front upper control arms.

Now the long day was about to get even longer! Luckily we had grabbed Keith’s welder when he turned around so we were able to fix my ZJ. And when I say we, I really mean Chad Jans, because he did all of the welding that my got my hunk of junk off the trail that night.

While a few of us were making the necessary repairs to my ZJ, John and a couple others scouted ahead and made it through Body Snatcher with ease. John also managed to find some guy in the bushes that was lost. John said the man was quite noticeably scared, and was even shaking. Turns out the lost wanderer had just bought a Rubicon TJ and drove out here from Florida to go wheeling! He and his friends were completely lost. He had left his maps and trail books at the hotel, so he was screwed! We offered to lead him out, but he said thanks, but no thanks. And before we finished fixing my ZJ, we managed to distract Scott Cline long enough to get a few zip ties (or zap straps as some people call them!) on his driveshafts which provided for GREAT entertainment the rest of the day!

So we’re moving again. And it’s getting dark. I had talked to some other people about doing a sunset run while we were in Moab, and it looks like I got my wish! A few of us flipped on our rock lights and kept pressing on. Luckily John had his GPS so we were able to use that to make sure we got out of there okay!

Then we run into our buddy from Florida again! His TJ is parked at the bottom of a decent sized waterfall. He comes running up to John and asks him to drive the TJ up the obstacle! John didn’t want to do it, so he got on the CB asking for a volunteer. Kris aka Kraqa from Canada jumped at the opportunity and got the TJ right up the wall. Now as if things hadn’t been interesting enough, there was now a CJ with only 2WD, and a full size Bronco with only 2WD at the same obstacle. Both rigs were broken pretty bad, so we offered them rides out so they could get them the next day in the daylight, but our offers were refused.

The rest of Gold Bar Rim was pretty uneventful, except for a few of us laughing hysterically every time Scott complained about the ticking noise from under his dash!

We finally made it off the trail around 10:40, back into town about 11:00. It was quite the long day, but a very memorable one for everybody there!

Mtn WJ
03-08-2007, 01:30 AM
For some reason I remember very little about that Spike run. Not sure why.

BigDaveZJ
03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
For some reason I remember very little about that Spike run. Not sure why.

Your welder remembers more than you do!!

Mtn WJ
03-08-2007, 01:35 AM
If only it could talk.

H3RESQ
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Just thought I'd throw this up here.

I will no longer be planning on coming this year. I've decided to make my Grand specific run this year be GSR. My best freind just picked up a Rubicon and we will be going on a few runs this summer. So to keep the budget in check I'll be passing it up this year.
Hopefully I'll get to meet some new faces at GSR.
See you on the trails.

H3