PDA

View Full Version : I might get BLOWN....... supercharger Mad Max style=)

DJJordache
10-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I was farting around in the junkyard yesterday and found a Mercedes supercharger that is a variant of the Eaton M62 model that is said to be good for 2.0L to 4.0L engines, and can be seen installed on several Defender 90's that I found on the internet with 4.0L v8's. I even read about anothe guy who used two of them on his 502! 502/2= 251ci

So I might try and fab it up and see if I can get it running on my 4.0L:D after alot of research of course! I know I'll have to mod the fuel and ignition but I already have the Crane HI6S ignition so I can retard the timing for boost that way easily. this will not be like 8lbs of boost but maybe more like around 4lbs maybe, dunno for sure yet need to do more calcualtions to find out.
here are a few pics to get you an idea (not my pics but looks the same)
http://club.corrado.free.fr/prepa/eaton/M62.jpg
http://www.slk32.com/pages/engines%28usa%29/enginespics/230engine/0069_L.jpg

and the reason I said Mad Max style is b/c this blower has a magnetic clutch on it so it can be turned on and off with a switch:D

I'm still bouncing the idea around and am not for sure if I will end up using it or selling it on ebay for a profit....

yeah... yeah... I know go to JU LOL:best:

redzj
10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
If you shut it off how does the engine get air? You would have to bypass it somehow I guess.

DJJordache
10-30-2006, 12:55 PM
yeah I'll admit I'm no pro at this supercharging scene, but it does spin very freely by hand so I might think it will just freespin when not engauged. like I said I need to do some more homework on this:D

SJX426
02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I would not use a M62 blower on the 4.0 without intercooling. The M90 is a much better choice and is more popular. There are at least 4 generations with the latest having built in bypass valves for idle and cruising. You really don't want the clutch. How would you get the volumn of air in at 3-4000 rpm?
Sell and if you are serious, consider a kit. There is no cheap way to blow your 4.0. It is equivalent or more than stroking.

Mtn WJ
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
The biggest problem with mounting a super charger like that is the 4.0 is a long block. The throttle body is in the center your pulley will not stick out in front of the engine for the belt. Those will work better on a V8 because of the shorter block. If you access to a real machine shop you might get something to work. Good Luck.

Avenger and others use Super Chargers from the super charged Pontiacs and Buicks and make special extensions in front of the super chargers to meet with the serp belt. Avengers system costs 3-4k.

DJJordache
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah this supercharger project is canceled......I also found that everyone else uses a larger blower also (M90). I was planning on installing it remotely and then piping the pressurized air flow like a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger does... oh well, when and if I do it, it will be with a M90 with the long snout to line up with the other pulleys, but probably not anytime real soon....unless I find one that might work in the junkyard:D